Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Virginia beach & Cape Hatteras

Can anyone recommend a good campground at or near these places...Full hookups required..We are planning our entire month of July trip and these are on our agenda this year..we know of the KOA campgrounds..has anyone been to them and if so please rate them

Thanks..Rich& Helen.....

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
in Virginia beach we only stay at the Holiday Travel Park on General Booth Blvd.
http://www.htpvabeach.com/
in hatteris we go to
http://www.camphatteras.com/
it is very nice

also consider a couple hours south of
Hatteris at Emerald Isle
http://www.htpresort.com/
much less comercial
Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
David..thanks for the info... Cape hatteras campground looks good..the other one looks nice also but to many can't do's..I mean what is camping without a camp fire???
Old 04-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich,

That is one of my favorite area's on the Eastern Coast! My gramma lived there and I have a lot of great memories!

I stayed in a campground out that way only one time, it was March and we had to wear our winter coats! It was pre-season around Manteo, and we had a hard time scaring up a good seafood place for Al to fill up in!

Not sure, just wondering aloud, have you looked at any state or national campgrounds?? They might be hard to get into at this late date, only way to find out is to try and reserve a spot I suppose. They might be the only ones that will allow a campfire.

We are finding in our travels that many campgrounds DO NOT allow campfires, but that we can have them at state campgrounds, unless, of course, there is a fire danger! Since we left home on Jan 27, 05, I don't think we have been in ONE campground that will allow ground campfires. We have been ok with it, but will make up for it this summer during our 2 weeks at Gun Lake, where we will have a campfire everynight, and my clothes will smell of smoke for weeks!

Do tell us how it goes, after you get back, I still have hopes of getting out there and sitting in the sand for a few weeks at SOME time in the future!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As a rule of thumb when we are going to a area that we do not know we will pick a KOA campground..They are in general good and you know what to expect. The advantage of belonging to a forum like this that you can alwyas find someone who has . been in the area and can give first hand info on the good campsites. Looked at the website and we like the camp ground.We have been to a few campgrounds that do not allow camp fires during the "dry season" even happens around here.We always check state /national campgrounds but most of them do not have full hooks and we are spoiled..Our Month of July camping trip is shaping up.FCRV International campvention in Wva then the cape// we were going to do Wva, Virginia beach and the cape but with fuel prices what they are we MAY have to cut back..
Old 04-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich

AHHH, Full hookups are a wonderful thing!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Just got back from the Holiday Travel Park and it is perfect for getting in quick and set up. The beach is only a couple miles away and they have cable and Linkspot internet for five bucks or so a day or 25 bucks a week. It's not camping like we do in New England, nestled in the hills and pines, but it's a good location, clean and well run.

in Virginia beach we only stay at the Holiday Travel Park on General Booth Blvd.
http://www.htpvabeach.com/
in hatteris we go to
http://www.camphatteras.com/
it is very nice

also consider a couple hours south of
Hatteris at Emerald Isle
http://www.htpresort.com/
much less comercial
[/quote]
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #8
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Cape Hatteras is our spiritual home. We have gone there for about 20 years and the last two in our Montana. As we are coming from the north we stop on the way down and back at Cape Charles VA, which is just across the Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel from Norfolk and Virginia Beach. In Cape Charles we have stayed at Cherrystone, Sunset Beach Resort and at Kiptopeke State Park which is by far our favorite. I know you can have fires at Cherrystone and Kiptopeke but there may be restrictions on that in dry season. Kiptopeke is really worth seeing for it's scenery and trails and especially for it;s breakwater made out of 9 concrete liberty ships which were sunk in a row to shelter the old ferry dock from Norfolk.

On Cape Hatteras we have stayed at Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe, the KOA in Rodanthe and at Frisco Woods Campground in Frisco. All of them are nice with the first two being directly behind the ocean side dunes and a one minute walk to the ocean. I don't recall whether you can have fires. The Frisco Woods campground is right on Pamlico Sound. All of them have full hookup. KOA Rodanthe has WiFi if you need it.

We have looked at most of the other campgrounds in the area but these three suit our purposes and I would go back to any of them. In fact, I guess it's time to start planning our next trip there....

One thing I haven't done yet but hope to this year is to try dry camping at the Oregon Inlet Park and at Ocracoke if I can get the nerve up to try and get our Montana onto the ferry.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for all the campground information..We will be going to the Cape..right now Hatteras campground looks good..short walk to the beach..We will be coming from The FCRV Campvention in Lewisburgh, WVA July 10-14 should be at the Cape The 15th and will stay a week or so.