Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Needed: web host, free??? UPDATED

I again want to thank all my computer geeky friends for their wonderful suggestions last week when I originally asked this question. Lots of good web sites and info came forth, which I am still studying.

In the meantime, I am happy, no, make that sooooo relieved you cannot believe, to announce that yesterday Al and I were able to gain access to the geocities page builder, and successfully edit pages.

Now, you might remember my whining (yep, that was what I was doing, whining) that it just had to be some setting. And it was.

Yesterday morning, I started having trouble with web pages loading, again from yahoo (geocities). I was really fit to be tied and angry, well, that does not describe it.

Anyway, Al fussed around and finally just reset IE back to OEM settings. That fixed the multi page load, and of course, I had to redo a bucket load of preferences and passwords. By then, I was happy to do so!!

So, we give geocities pagebuilder a shot, and before me flashes, a quick and fading message, something about a managed add on, blah blah blah blah.

Later, while I am snooping around in IE settings, I find a area for Managed Add Ons, open it, and what is sitting there, well a few things, but, TA DA, HUGE DRUM ROLL!!!! There is JAVA!!! Turned OFF!!

Now, ya gotta have Java and it has to be turned on. There are help screens at geocities telling you this, and how to turn it on. I followed the directions to the "T". BUT, NOWHERE DOES IT SAY CHECK MANAGED ADD ONS!!

Do you think yahoo/geocites is gonna hear from me?? DUHHHHH

Clicked on Java, and geocities loads right up, page builder works, I am in and working.

There are two places you have to have Java turned on, one is in Internet tools, Advanced button. The other is this Managed Add Ons. If they are not both on, Java no worka!!

Now, I have time to search around and see what I want to do about moving to my own domain, another server for the web pages, etc etc etc. For the moment, anyway, the panic searching can cease and I can approach this all calmly.

Well, as calmly as I ever get!

Again, thanks all, it was a frustrating experience, but, as usual, from frustration comes learning. If you let it happen.

Cheers and happy computing!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Carol,
Thanks for the info. I have been fighting IE and Java's for over a year.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glad someone else can benefit from my frustrating month.

Gives me some hope, John, as smart as you are with computers, if you were having trouble, I don't feel so bad.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I think we all have trouble from time to time. Computers seem to have a mind of their own.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
GIGO

Garbage In, Garbage Out!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We now all feel better knowing your one again with the web!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Carol, thanks for the update. Now we all know next time we have a puter problem, "who you gonna call"
"Java Busters"
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote