Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Black water/gray water tanks

In the current issue of Trailer Life, in the RV Action Line, there is a letter regarding Keystone's plumbing a gray water line into the black. Keystone's response was "This is a common practice and has been determined to be beneficial in helping break up solid wastes.

Additionally, the introduction of gray water aids in flushing out the black water tank. And, most importantly, this process is compliant with RVIA code."

My question is, why do I have a factory installed black tank flush system if gray water is plumbed into the black tank? How much gray water is diverted to the black tank and doesn't this lessen the capacity of the black tank?

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I think that method of 'plumbing' is for smaller RVs...my laundry drain goes into the main discharge line and not into any tank.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I really don't think they're speaking of laundry water. It is my understanding that sometimes the vanity sink is piped into the black tank, merely to add more liquid to the waste. Seems I checked this on our unit, as we have two vanity sinks, but ours are both plumbed into the gray water tank.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The response from Trailer Life also referenced that it was usually only done in smaller RVs. The letter came from the owner of a 2007 26' Laredo trailer. I suppose I can check by running water into the gray tank and see if anything comes out the black.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Will, I don't think the sink water into the black tank is to add more fluid. On our unit the toilet is right next to the sink with a wall between so it made sense to send them both to the same tank. A few months after our unit was manufactured, they changed this configuration and reversed the toilet and then sent the sink to the gray tank. Since ours is a 2005, our washer goes into the gray tank. Changes are made all the time and by changing the toilet it made more open space in the basement. I don't believe I have ever heard of a Montana that has the gray going into the black.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Will, I don't think the sink water into the black tank is to add more fluid. On our unit the toilet is right next to the sink with a wall between so it made sense to send them both to the same tank. A few months after our unit was manufactured, they changed this configuration and reversed the toilet and then sent the sink to the gray tank. Since ours is a 2005, our washer goes into the gray tank. Changes are made all the time and by changing the toilet it made more open space in the basement. I don't believe I have ever heard of a Montana that has the gray going into the black.
Happy trails.......................
From our Keystone manual;

Chapter 7 Plumbing system -(Note) On differing systems another drain may empty into the black tank for purposes of assisting tank dumping and prevention of clogging due to solid waste buildup.

That is where my info came from.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
My concern is that the last time we were out, we noticed that the black tank showed full. Now we all know how accurate the sensors are but now I read this letter and am wondering where it's (gray) going. Tomorrow, assuming Louise is not home, I will conduct my experiment and post for all to enjoy. I see shades of RV with Robin Williams, except this time it will be all over my driveway (LOL).
Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Regardless of what the manual says regarding this issue I suspect the main reason for plumbing the way they do is simple convenience for the person doing the installation. Whatever saves them a penny or two. Having said that I suppose there is some validity to having some more fluid to the black tank. But if it's that good why don't they do that for ALL units?

I am not surprise that we see so many variations. There are so many different models that it must be hard to come up with a standard.

I know my bathroom sink drains into the gray tank. We have the washer prep but since we do not have a washer I've never checked to see where it would drain. I'm very happy with the way my plumbing is set up.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
guru1961
Established Member

M.O.C. #4540
Send a message via Yahoo to guru1961
Our 2006 3400RL unit has the washing maching draining into the black tank which is a blessing at times. I like to leave the black water valve open and just use extra water to flush the toilet. We use the Kenmore washer nearly every day so it flushes the tank really good. If I didn't leave the valve open, it could mean a backup I don't wanna have! I do remember the tech guy telling us that this configuration has changed on the newer models.
guru1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jeff and Nora,

I suppose that with the washing machine dumping into the black tank you may be OK leaving the valve open. I wouldn't do that because one of the sure ways to build up a pile is to leave the valve open. The black tank needs to have a lot of fluids. This allows the solids to dissolve. Otherwise the dreaded pyramid may develop. There are several folks on the MOC who have discovered this first hand. It is not a pretty picture.

I do understand about not wanting to have the washing machine overflow the black tank. Definitely not something anyone would want to have happen.

If my washing machine were dumping into the black tank I think I'd try re-routing it to tie directly into the drain line. Or I'd close my black tank valve until I was actually using the washing machine.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OUR 2006 3400 build date in April of 2006 and nothing goes into the black tank but black water. Montanas had other tanks going into the black tank but they changed that.The only way to tell for sure is to crawl under the camper and have a look.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich, Sometimes my black tank gets yellow water.

Good post Dick, I didn't realize they did that. It doesn't matter to me, but it would be good to know if one of the gray appliances actually does go into the black tank on my rig so I know when to watch the level of the tank a little closer.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote