Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Help me help Henry..........

A neighbor from Canada is trying to use the dial up in the Community center to access the Internet, he is confused.
He is being asked his ISP number among other questions,
I know what ISP is, but where will he find those numbers, and what else will he need to know. I will help him, but it's like the blind leading the blind....................
Thanks.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Try to go into start menu,network connections, right click on modem connection,click on properties,check 'show icon in notification area when connected". This should show a connection stutus in right corner,near clock. double click icon, click support tab, should show ip address. At least that what happened when we just ran thru it. good luck
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thank you racerjoe.
I went with Henry to the Community Center, as I fumbled around I got the address, but Henry needs his Sympatico dial up number, which he did not have, so we were not successful. I told him to go to town.. a mile away, and do the wireless, contact his provider and get the number for South Texas here.
I think he will be Ok from there.
Ozz
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Another Way For a PC:
If IP address is all that is needed, go to START, RUN, type in CMD and click OK. (or hit "enter")
At the CMD (Command) Prompt Window, type in IPCONFIG /ALL
You will see all information on your configuration.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
I think what is needed is the dialup phone number in order to access the Sympatico services. Information can be found here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7380
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Thank you racerjoe.
I went with Henry to the Community Center, as I fumbled around I got the address, but Henry needs his Sympatico dial up number, which he did not have, so we were not successful. I told him to go to town.. a mile away, and do the wireless, contact his provider and get the number for South Texas here.
I think he will be Ok from there.
Ozz
Here's their number locator. I think Henry may be SOL though. All I see are numbers for Canada.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks all, I will check with him when I see him return, he was away in his truck today.
I just have people show up at my door asking for help on many things, I am a little embarrassed when I can't get them through the problem, but with friends like you guys and gals, it whittles the problem down.
Thanks again.
Ozz
Old 03-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Ozz, you've probably already figured out that ISP stands for Internet Service Provider, the company he pays to handle connecting him to the Internet. Henry might want to consider finding a cheap ISP while he's here, like NetZero, PeoplePC, etc.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote