Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Handicap grab rails in shower

We will be receiving our new 340RLQ Big Sky next week, I will be installing a grab rail in the shower as they don't come as standard or even as an option. When we bought our Jayco last year we had to do the same thing and I was lucky enough to find a 1x4 stud in the center of the wall to screw it to. I emailed Jayco suggesting that they might consider that addition but received no reply. I know the wall construction is different on the Big Skys and am wondering the best way to anchor the new grab rail to the shower wall, any suggestions would be appreciated. My wife had a small stroke early last year and doesn't do slippery floors well, hence the need for a grab rail. This addition would be great aid to those with balance problems... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, because of the critical issue here, I would suggest having your service manager at the dealer contact the factory and get a location for you to attach to. I would hate for a weak attachment point for the assist rails.
You are getting a beautiful unit good luck with it, and welcome to our Forum.
I don't know that any of us have experience behind the walls in that new model.
(I spent 2 years at the Sub base in New London, I was a Machinist there, worked on the stinkers and the nukes as well. I can still bring back that sub smell....)
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ozz, thanks for the quick reply, I just got off the phone with our dealer and he is calling Keystone now. I really hate to go drilling holes in a new rig as soon as I have it but ya gotta get it setup the way ya need it. I will also have to find or make access for at least 4 coax cables too. 2 for my Hughes dish and 2 or 3 for the DTV HD. I already have the exterior plates and lots of cable and connectors but just cringe at the thought of boring holes in that new pretty glass. Any way thanks for the reply... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Good idea regarding the grab rails! It is a much needed item. At least as an option.

Re: the entry for the cables.... you might consider coming up from underneath. In our 3295 our desk is located at the rear of the coach. I simply drilled a hole under the desk area and brought all the cables up through that. I was just to afraid to drill a hole in the siding.

Good luck and let us know how you end up working it.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I second the desk area idea, that's what I did.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote