Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
Carguy1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #22777
Disc Brake/ Slipper springs ??

Hello to all,

Been strongly leaning towards this winter doing a major upgrade on my 3121RL suspension. Not gonna go the full IR route but leaning towards
the full disc brake/slipper spring/shock absorber install and the air ride pin box. I understand you can always have a tire problem on the road but seeing way to many posts about busted springs and shackles on the road etc..

Not endorsing a brand here but looking hard at Performance Trailer Braking and Roadmaster slipper springs.

Would love some feedback from folks who have done this type conversion..

Thank You

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
Carguy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:14 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The disk brake idea is a no brainer ... the air ride pin box works good for us as well. Slipper springs ... the jury is out for me as far as an RV application. I have slipper springs on my boat trailer and both our 32' and 40' gooseneck farm trailers. Be aware that they can be noisy traveling down the road and the ride judging from the rear view mirror isn't a very smooth one. But hey, our John Deere's and implements that fit aboard the trailers don't seem to care. Slipper springs are designed to carry heavier weights better so I've been told.
Remember this about forums and postings. You mostly hear from people with issues and not with smooth sailing experiences. So you do read about a dozen spring related failures ... I agree it is concerning to those to whom it has happened, but what about the other 1200 people that have had no issue with their suspensions that remain silent about their experiences?
Also remember reviews on products in magazines have an underlying agenda to present a product in its very best possible light generally. Actual mileage may vary after installation and usage.
It makes one wonder why slipper springs aren't even an option on most RV's at least that I'm aware of??? Is there an application reason .. or just the canned offering of the frame manufacturers?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote