Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #81
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterose View Post
Check the frame of the slide. We had the same problem as you. Slide took the door off its hinges, it also severely bent the two inch square tube that supports the slide. Door went back on without problem, was more serious straightening the steel.
this Has been the SAME problem on ours.. The Cabinet Door opens. It is behind the Facia of the slide.. The Slide Grabs the Cupboard door and RIPS it off. At the same time the slide's frame is NOT heavy enough. Whoever thought of this design, Oh my... We had LATCHES installed on the doors.. So far so good...

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:08 AM   #82
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Great to hear. Our next trip won't be until November for Thanksgiving.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:24 AM   #83
Al D.
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22417
Sitting here in Myrtle beach with one a/C that won't run and no trailer brakes. Tech will be here first thing Monday. Meantime enjoying the nice weather and good food.
2018 HC 345RL
Al D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:02 PM   #84
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al D. View Post
Sitting here in Myrtle beach with one a/C that won't run and no trailer brakes. Tech will be here first thing Monday. Meantime enjoying the nice weather and good food.
2018 HC 345RL
Batten down the hatches! Stay safe from Ian
Old 09-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #85
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Tony, on your new 22 they have to pull the entire roof off and redo it?
Update, Apparently there's this thing called TPO welding. Open area, secure luan and patch. Who would have thunk?
Old 09-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #86
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Update, Apparently there's this thing called TPO welding. Open area, secure luan and patch. Who would have thunk?
TPO welding..... Now that's a new one on me Tony! Pretty sure that particular skill set isn't in my wheelhouse. Hope the dealer repair goes well for you.

Update: The MHC is no longer a three leg dog. Got the new hub Keystone sent to the house put on, as well as the new lug nuts two new wheels and tires. Couldn't quite rest on my laurels there though, so indeed got the other 24 lug studs replaced as well as new lug nuts. New hub got a fresh set of Timken bearings "just because". I guess I should not have been shocked to find that Dexter has obviously been installing Chinese bearing sets. Three pound "Halliburton hammer" about wore me out getting all the replacement studs driven home, but seated they are. I'll probably stop twice minimum on our two hour trip Thursday to southwest Arkansas to recheck the torque specs on everything. Fingers crossed for this next outing being trouble free. Looking forward to some R&R now.

Happy camping all! For those in the Florida area - hunker down! Better yet, great excuse for an out of state camping trip.....
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:35 PM   #87
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
TPO welding..... Now that's a new one on me Tony! Pretty sure that particular skill set isn't in my wheelhouse. Hope the dealer repair goes well for you.

Update: The MHC is no longer a three leg dog. Got the new hub Keystone sent to the house put on, as well as the new lug nuts two new wheels and tires. Couldn't quite rest on my laurels there though, so indeed got the other 24 lug studs replaced as well as new lug nuts. New hub got a fresh set of Timken bearings "just because". I guess I should not have been shocked to find that Dexter has obviously been installing Chinese bearing sets. Three pound "Halliburton hammer" about wore me out getting all the replacement studs driven home, but seated they are. I'll probably stop twice minimum on our two hour trip Thursday to southwest Arkansas to recheck the torque specs on everything. Fingers crossed for this next outing being trouble free. Looking forward to some R&R now.

Happy camping all! For those in the Florida area - hunker down! Better yet, great excuse for an out of state camping trip.....
The Dexter rep at the seminar I sat in on at the Rally went over torque sequence during his presentation. 3 stages of torque and then three intervals following each wheel removal. After 10 miles, then 25 miles, then 50. Then he said: "then you're done". (Their bulletin on it says to check it periodically after that). Thought I would pass that on as it was fresh in my mind from 2 weeks ago. Good luck.
http://hltlimitedtrailers.com/wp-con...quirements.pdf
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #88
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
The Dexter rep at the seminar I sat in on at the Rally went over torque sequence during his presentation. 3 stages of torque and then three intervals following each wheel removal. After 10 miles, then 25 miles, then 50. Then he said: "then you're done". (Their bulletin on it says to check it periodically after that). Thought I would pass that on as it was fresh in my mind from 2 weeks ago. Good luck.
http://hltlimitedtrailers.com/wp-con...quirements.pdf
I`m sure the factory dose this when putting the wheels on the new frame and instructs the delivery guy to do this to your trailer wheels when he`s on the road for the next 2000 miles to the dealer.
There is even a sign at all tire dealers to come back and have your wheels retorqued after a few miles.
How many people have done this.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:46 AM   #89
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
I have a neighbor who used to.deliver RVs. They have the same 10 / 25 / 50 re-torque instructions from the tow service they are contracted with. He stated the lugs were only checked prior to departure on their delivery run. Same guy though said he pulled one fiver that he had to re-tighten the lugs on one particular trailer every 25 miles due to repeatedly coming loose.

On our MHC, I'm convinced the lugs were WAY overtorqued with an impact wrench. Hence the reason I always found our lugs tight when checked, yet snapped off 6 lug studs on the same hub all at once. No large potholes or curbs were ever involved.

Anyway - just wanted to pass this along. Hoping no one else comes across this particular issue. It is rather unnerving when one discovers "Elvis has left the building" Happy camping all and safe travels.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:02 AM   #90
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Update on warranty repairs: The failed AC circuit turned out to be a major! I stopped by Tuesday to get an update on the repairs as the rig gets picked up and goes out Thursday. Upon arrival I took a peek at my rig. What I was horrifying. A sight you never want to see. I would equate it to waking up during surgery and seeing your insides.

The storage compartment walls were removed exposing everything. The coroplast was cut open and hanging down with wires everywhere. The circuit breaker panel was out with all wires exposed as was the main control panel.

I asked WTH? I was told that the AC circuit was fixed. They found a wire nut in the belly that had come off. However while testing the whole rig went black. I told them I'm picking it up regardless if the shore power works as I'm dry camping at the beach. So make sure my generator, inverter and solar works.

That evening I got a call from the Service Manager (Sean) on his personal cell. Good idea or? He said that whatever it takes he will have it ready for this camping trip. So Shout out to Folsom Lake RV for their commitment. They discovered a faulty transfer switch and changed it out. Upon testing the new TS smoked! They didn't have one in stock so I'm not sure where they found a replacement but they did. He called and told me that they were going to test again so fingers crossed. I asked him if he has removed and inspected the shore power receptacle. He said he'd call me back. I received a text with a picture of the receptacle showing one leg disconnected and the rest loose. There was only about 3/16" exposed wire. They corrected the connection and voila! Everything works.

They stitched the patient up and released her. I have to secure the coroplast a bit better before we leave but super happy. Santa will have to stop at FLRV and drop of some tasty libations!
Old 10-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #91
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Glad to hear they put your rig back together and in a timely manner for you.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
Old 10-07-2022, 11:21 AM   #92
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Good heavens Tony. Hated to hear that you walked up to such a site. I'm betting your heart skipped a beat or two. Darn good thing you suggested taking a look at the input shore power connection.

So - the original symptom of failed AC unit, was that due to the faulty shore power connection? Either way, just glad you are back in the saddle again. Hope your upcoming trip goes well
Old 10-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #93
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Great opportunity to get some pictures of what’s in there and where it’s located on your rig. If they cut open the Coroplast, what do they use to repair it? I’ve wondered about this in case I ever have to get into mine. Tia
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #94
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
So - the original symptom of failed AC unit, was that due to the faulty shore power connection? Either way, just glad you are back in the saddle again. Hope your upcoming trip goes well
I got the idea to inspect the shore power receptacle from a recent post here. It wasn't the air conditioner that failed. It was an AC electrical circuit that failed. It was due to a wire nut that came loose. The shore power receptacle was a coincidence. I'm glad it happened there and not on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
Great opportunity to get some pictures of what’s in there and where it’s located on your rig. If they cut open the Coroplast, what do they use to repair it? I’ve wondered about this in case I ever have to get into mine. Tia
Well the repair is tape and screws. Not super impressed with it. I'll be doing my own repairs once their done. The rig still has to go back this winter for the black tank and roof repair. Once that's done it's time for flex tape!
Old 11-28-2022, 10:53 AM   #95
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Here I go again posting on this never ending thread. Our last trip for 8 days was during the Thanksgiving holiday in San Diego. The trip was perfect in every other way, other than the fact I developed a leak somewhere in the grey tank line. If I kept the line flowing out into sites in-ground dump opening, the leak was pretty much non-existent. If closed, the leak formed a large puddle underneath, and more located from where the kitchen piping comes from. Checking the kitchen piping underneath the sink down to the floor showed it was dry. I'm not looking forward to pulling the coroplast Does the perfect RV really exist?????
Old 11-28-2022, 11:07 AM   #96
Reset19
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23160
1. Bedroom schwintek slide stopped working due to broken welds in side wall.
2. OTR Convection Microwave stopped working
3. Black Tank Waste Valve handle and shaft pulled off cable.

Definitely one of our more challenging trips
Old 11-28-2022, 11:55 PM   #97
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
I have a 2017 High Country 310RE
Gear box on pop out broke on this trip. Had spare one.. Not too bad.Easy fix.
I have 34,000 miles on this 5th wheel.
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:39 AM   #98
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
My trip didn't even start yet, and my refrigerator decided to go bonkers. I have a Norcold 4 door fridge, model #2118. Well yesterday I got our trailer from storage and turned everything on, which included the fridge, so it could cool down before we leave tomorrow on the 9th. Hooked up to shore power, my fridge audio alarm went off and was throwing multiple codes, but still cooling. The audio alarm would not go off, even with the magnet reset trick. Both batteries showing 14+ volts. After tearing into the mother board for the fridge, the two fuses were fine as long as the 3V fuses externally. All the interior fuses and relays were fine, which steered me to the only possibility that the mother board was shot. I was very fortunate to have an RV supply shop nearby that had a replacement board. $220.00 later I was up and running. The part number for this board by Norcold is: 637082, and lists for around $135.00, which you can buy on line. I didn't have the time to wait and needed it ASAP. Always something.............. Oh when changing the board, make sure you turn everything off, including the main power switch, relays, so you don't arc something and accidentally fry the new board why switching over all the connectors. Happy trails

https://www.buyautotruckaccessories....xoC67kQAvD_BwE
Old 02-08-2023, 10:57 AM   #99
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Glad you got her up and running again toot-sweet. Life is certainly an adventure with our rigs. Hope your outing is a great one.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:04 AM   #100
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Glad you got her up and running again toot-sweet. Life is certainly an adventure with our rigs. Hope your outing is a great one.
Thanks Lee-Ci. I'm pretty good at getting in and fixing things, but I really feel sorry for people who need to rely solely on a service department for repairs. Their rigs would see more time sitting than being used.