Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The dealer that we are buying our 3400 from says they have fabricated a hitch for bumperless campers and will install it for me..He did not know the price but will let me know.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #42
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
The hitch I mentioned a few post above was home made. I did some measuring, got the tubeing ,steel plate, bolts and nuts and went to work.I have my own little work shop with all the toys I need to make my own hitch. I have looked under several Montana and Mountaineers new and older. The frame work under them can vary. It seems that most frames end before they get to the rear of the trailer. Then most have some add on materal to the rear of the trailer, not as strong as the main frame.This is what makes it difficult to get a hitch installed on the rear of the trailer. The hitch has to be fastened to the main frame for support and not just to the extension support material.A lot of stabilizer jacks could also be in the way. This is what makes getting a hitch on the rear so expensive.Its the fabricating.That is why I put in the part about the frame maker or the trailer manufacturer putting this in before the trailer assembly.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:46 AM   #43
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
If Montana/Keystone is worried about people putting too much weight on the rear of their trailers why not put a 1 1/4 inch Class II receiver back there. We have one on Leona's Honda Del Sol, with a 2 bike rack, and it works well.

Besides Leona's 2 bike rack and our Yakima roof rack system I have a 2 bike, 2 inch receiver rack we used on the SUV when we had one. This rack would probably work like Al and Carol suggested. It also folds down to allow entry into an SUV's rear door. Because of the rear spare tire mount I had to put a 1 foot extention on the hitch to clear the tire. If that extention was long enough to clear the end of the Monty after one of those receivers were installed, then the bikes would be up high and out of the way and the rack would fold down low for loading and unloading.......hmmm.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #44
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
tbhd,

Thanks very much. That is exactly what I was hoping someone would post here.

Questions? You bet!

Were your modifications very involved. Meaning did it require any cutting or welding? Any chance of bike and fiver meeting up on very tight turns? Is it fairly simple to take the bike on and off when hitched?
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:20 AM   #45
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Sorry it took so long to get back with you. The picture I posted shows the truck at a 45 degree angle and that is the closes it can possibly get and it shows plenty of room. I have no problems with clearance plus I can see the bike. Yes, I had to do some welding and I'm going to go take a picture---I think that would explain better than trying to describe it. I made it to fit as close as possible to the back of the truck so I can carry two bikes if I want.

Here's a quick picture and I'll post more on Picture Trail later today. Please, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

http://tinypic.com/majh9v.jpg
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #46
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
That rack looks great. Real nice job. A little foam pipe insulation may keep the inside bike from getting scratched.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #47
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
fla native

Pictures are now on Picture Trail. Hope this helps. Questions---please ask.

Sweetfire

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #48
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Have you were traveled with two bikes between the truck and fifth wheel?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #49
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
tbhd

Couple of questions?

is the 5th hitch over rear axle or behind? looks like allot of clearance from front of trailer and TV bumper.

what clearance do you measure between trailer and your truck bumper when straight.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #50
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
jrgwdenner

Sorry we've never put two bikes on the rack but there is more than enough room. I use an electric scooter to get around and that comes apart and we carry that in the tool box in the bed of the trailer. My husband puts his bike on the rack.

keham

I don't have a exact measurement but would estimate approximately 3 feet. The hitch is slightly ahead of the axle.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #51
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Well after much research I went with the "Thule bike rack system".This fits on the top of the roof of the truck.Will be able to carry 2 bikes.The whole system-roof rack and bike(2)racks,locks are included also was $400.It sounds like a lot of money and you know what???IT IS OUCH.But for us it was the most secure.I have a front mount hitch on the truck but that is where we carry our generator.The hitch on the back of the truck-I wasn`t comfortable with the turning radius.And the ladder rack was just about a 50/50 split.Half the people liked it their and half didn`t.

I my orginal post I stated I didn`t want my mountain bike costing me a mountain of money-well its not a mountain but its a pretty good size hill
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:45 AM   #52
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We saw a homemade bicycle rack welded to the sides of the kingpin of an Excel the other day. It carried two bicycles in front of the front cap. The rack itself was much like those that go into a receiver hitch. It guess they were there to catch the love bugs! It seemed very secure.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #53
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
If you have the clearance between your Monty and the cab of your truck, I made a bike rack that bolts on to the side of the hitch pin of the trailer that uses a reciever hitch bike rack. I used a bolt-on reciever from northern tools, 2 pieces of 3/4 in. angle steel and 1 piece of flat steel to mount the reciever on. I used the extra holes on the sides of the hitch pin box to mount the angle steel. You can used it on any extended hitch pin expecially if you have a long bed truck.
I used a bike mount that you set the wheel of the bikes into instead of a hanger type bike rack. This makes it easier to load and unload, plus it makes the bike tires even at the bottom of the rack.
I can send some pictures if you are interested. It is very easy to make, install and very inexpensive. The bike rack is the most expensive part.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote