Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
In New 3295 for a week

Ann and I have been in the new unit for a week now. There are some mixed feelings about it.
It is not the Big Sky. The Big Sky had three shelves in the kitchen area where the Montana has only two. It has the same volume just less shelf space. This is a lesson for those upgrading to a newer model. – Count the shelves inside the cabinets.
I knew the front closet was smaller because of the new cap design.
We are adjusting and finding places for everything.
I found we couldn’t put step mats on the bottom step of the Hickory Springs three steps. The bottom step and the top step have very little clearance when folding in. I can force it to close with no cover on the bottom step.
I miss some of the extra electrical outlets that were in the Big Sky.
I miss the dinning room 110 light switch that was on the wall.
The furnace is quitter, which is a plus.
I am working on a fix for the outside FM antenna for the DVD/radio receiver. It currently uses the TV antenna and works only when the TV amplifier (green light) is on.
We ordered the dual pane windows and found the felt on the bottom of the windows that the sliding window rides on “wicks” water into the inside area. It has not over flowed but is a concern or question should it do that.
I found an opening on the corner of the living slide that lets in cold air and I see light when I lift carpet. It is the outside corner. I am not sure that is accurate.
I like the pluming station and understand how it helps this unit to work in colder weather.
I would like to see access to the area behind the pluming station, furnace and water pump. (A new access door to come.)
The front cap mirror is useless.
The new design on the rear cap prevents window awnings from being mounted back there. The technician said it need 4” between the window and the outside roll, there is only 3” before it rolls out.
We are satisfied with the unit and will relocate all of our treasures.
I did find they cut the panel behind the front TV to run the Generator control wire and did not cover it up. Poor installation there.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hello Harold , Sounds like you have found a few things different from your older Big Sky - It's going to take a little adjustment but with your background you should handle that with a breeze, In two more weeks you will have things tweeked and all will be ok. I agree with you that the mirror on the front cap is probably not as good as it was intended to be, I don't hear a lot of folk's with the new units raving about that feature. I hope that you and DW will adjust and settle in to a HAPPY CAMPER. So hang in there my friend there are just a few of us with RK's Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Great report John. Good to hear the furnace is quieter! It will take some adjustments.

Look forward to pics! like to see those gelcoat doors.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
John, our unit has the dual pane windows also. I have had it in a pretty good rain and other than the wicking we did not have any water problem inside. Under the felt is a drain hole.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:59 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Just found this.
The propane regulator is installed too close to the second tank supply line to allow the propane monitor to be installed.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

I ran into the same thing. I was able to lower the regulator just enough. Need to watch the low pressure side hose that you don't get it in a position that the tank pinches it.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:06 AM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Had to check ours too...
Propane regulator is close - may be touching pipe.
Generator prewire is clumsy too. Will have to work on a patch for the hole.
From another post, the top of the shower walls is not sealed. Don't think this is a problem for us.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Thanks for the report, hope the kinks are worked out soon.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:37 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, just a couple of comments, if I may.

Your steps should be the same as ours. I have the carpeted covers on all three. No problem. Something wrong with your steps?

The new front closet seems to hold more than our 2003 3295RK did. It is narrower but is deeper and has that shelf all the way across and also the shoe shelf all the way across. Doesn't help for hanging clothes, though. Our model also has an armoire for more hanging clothes so maybe that's the difference. Don't forget another plus - that front closet is cedar lined.

I agree about the dining room light switch.

Vicki added some shelves via those white free-standing wire shelves.

I don't think water should be wicking into the interior. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the dual panes.

You can access behind the plumbing station. Been there myself to get rid of a water leak. (also under the shower area inside the coach). Remove the screws on the side panel and work the panel out. You have to bend it a bit to get it out but it does come out. The bending doesn't hurt it. An access door would help but to get to everything in there you just about have to remove that panel.

We have a full-width pull-down window shade from A&E on that large rear window. A&E just recently started offering this. Our dealer called and found out about it. It wasn't even in his catalog yet. It's actually 3/4 inch short of covering the entire window, on each side, but that's not even noticeable. It covers fully, up and down.

I, too, like the quieter furnace location. It puts out too much heat upstairs, though. I've blocked off 2/3 of the bedroom register.

Thanks for the report, John. You made some good points.

Make sure the connections behind the convenience center are all tight. Several of us have had water on the floor, inside the rig, coming from loose connections. I fixed that last week. This week we got more water on the floor. This time it was from the water connections under the shower. I hope we're done with the water leaks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
I was asked to show the high gloss doors. There is a 3400 with the sateen finish and the sateen doors. I took pictures of each so you can get a feel for the difference.

My passenger side. (yes, I got bi fold here too.)URL
http://i7.tinypic.com/3y78k9g.jpg
Neighbors passenger side
http://i10.tinypic.com/3464znn.jpg
My belly cargo door
http://i7.tinypic.com/2mzb1qw.jpg
Neighbors cargo door
http://i10.tinypic.com/2nhggli.jpg
My road side doors
http://i7.tinypic.com/436k17k.jpg
Neighbors road side doors
http://i9.tinypic.com/4hcm2y1.jpg

Cheers
Old 11-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Your steps should be the same as ours. I have the carpeted covers on all three. No problem. Something wrong with your steps?
Steve,
The problem is the clearance for the bottom step to fold up under the top stop. here is a picture. I can not put a rug on the bottom step. You can see the bottom step touching the wrap around mat on the top step. Here is a cropped picture.

Here is the full picture link

These pads came off our 02 3295.
Cheers,
Old 11-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John,

Wonder if they have changed the steps. We have a 04 3295, and can put carpet on ours.

I don't get it, I SEE it from your photos, I just don't understand.

Hey, measure the drop between steps, and post here, someone can compare, then we will know if there is a change.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
The distance between the bottom of the top step and the surface of the middle step is 6 inches. A friend commented that it seemed easier to get into this trailer than the old one. It may be the steps.
Cheers,
Old 11-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, our rig is just a couple of months older than yours so I'd be surprised if they changed steps in that time, but it is possible.

Ours measures 6 1/8 inch between bottom of top step and top of the middle step. From bottom of middle step to top of bottom step is 6 inches. It's a snug fit when closing but not at all difficult.

We took the rugs off our tradein and put them on this one. Maybe they're worn just enough that it works? Or maybe that 1/8 inch more between top and middle steps makes the difference?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al went out and measured ours

7 inches, 7 inches (working our way up, from outside to inside). Step to rig is a little more than 7, like 7 1/4 or 7 3/8. Final step (the recessed one INSIDE) is about 8 inches.

Remember, we have a 2004 3295.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
I contacted Hickory Springs and they claim the step is not theirs and it is a Lippert. So I have an email to them. The clearance between the steps where the carpet his is less the 1/8 inch.
Cheers,
Old 11-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #17
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
It makes you wonder what were they thinking when Montana installed the propane connections where they did. My unit was manufactured in March 2006, and the propane connections look nothing like the one you took a photo of. I'm not sure why they changed it...my motto is if it's not broke don't fix it. I don't have any problems out of my steps and "regular" carpet, but if I use the "clean machine" really thick astro turf carpet it will close but really tight. If nothing else, use some velcro ties on the bottom step to hold the carpet and remove the carpet before you leave and reattach it when you get to your destination. Good Luck with your new unit, and have many wonderful travels! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #18
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Steve,
The problem is the clearance for the bottom step to fold up under the top stop. here is a picture. I can not put a rug on the bottom step. You can see the bottom step touching the wrap around mat on the top step. Here is a cropped picture.

Here is the full picture link

These pads came off our 02 3295.
Cheers,
John,
We have the same problem on the Sunnybrook-Just an FYI
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #19
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
All,
When we purchased our new trailer we assumed some things would not change. That is not the case. The current three step design is not the same as our previous trailer. The design has only 1/8 inch clearance between the steps when they fold together. This minimal clearance does not allow the addition of wrap around step pads on the bottom or top step. Even with one step covered there is a major amount of friction, which will wear the mounted step pad much quicker. The supplier told me the steps in his wear house are all like this.
If you want step pads on your steps make sure you specify that clearance requirement in your contract. Assume nothing.
Cheers,