Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Another Email Scam

Last night I got an email from Amazon.com that my 87.00 order was ready to ship. The only problem was that I didn't order anything from Amazon. When I went to the amazon link provided in the email it was a carbon copy of an Amazon.com main page except that when I looked at the url address it was to acmszon.com. The email looks just like a legit Amazon web page... BEWARE!! I went there just now and the page is now "temporarily Disabled"

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Dave, another way for them to get to us.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
It's an easy thing for businesses to add your name in the salutation of an e-mail. PayPal, for one, reminds their customers that they NEVER say "Dear customer" but rather use customer's names in salutations. I wish all businesses would do that. It would make us all safer from these phishing dirtbags.

If your mail client or webmail provider shows you the URL when you mouse-over a link in an e-mail, that would alert you to not click on that link. We know that when we see a URL printed underlined in blue, that's not always where you're directed when you click on a link. My e-mail client (Thunderbird) and my browser (Firefox) show the real URL in a status bar; I always check that when I get a suspicious e-mail.

I have a friend who was scammed out of $4,000 several years ago in a fake bank-check scam. Sometimes these scammers get good at it, and you may need to get more than one e-mail before you catch on.

Bottom line? If no one even got bit by these e-mails, we'd never get any of them!
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,
Thanks for the info. There are just too many ways the No Gooders can get us. Wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of ReverseZapper that would just send a destroy command! But then someone would figure out how to get us!

Just be extra cautious.

Thanks again for the warning. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And the moral is, don't open email from anyone you do not know, do not open attachments that you have not solicited, and do not click on links unless you know where they are going to.

Difficult - huh?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Last night I got an email from Amazon.com that my 87.00 order was ready to ship. The only problem was that I didn't order anything from Amazon. When I went to the amazon link provided in the email it was a carbon copy of an Amazon.com main page except that when I looked at the url address it was to acmszon.com. The email looks just like a legit Amazon web page... BEWARE!! I went there just now and the page is now "temporarily Disabled"
I just got one from "chase.com" telling me to click the link ( uh uh not this person) to reset my security, as someone tried to sign on my account from an unknown IP address. I forwarded the email to the "real" Chase fraud dept.
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
When in doubt don't open and report them. Thanks Dave
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sometimes these scammers can be very good and the web page looks like a carbon copy of the real one..If you are convinced that it is real try this....When it askes for your Id and password

type this Micky Mouse or goto hell.. If it is bogus any Id and password will work..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Roamingusa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Was it Chase.com, or Chase.net? My fake one was Chase.net
Nice cat picture...

I just got one from "chase.com" telling me to click the link ( uh uh not this person) to reset my security, as someone tried to sign on my account from an unknown IP address. I forwarded the email to the "real" Chase fraud dept.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Never click on a unsolicited email link. If you have an account somewhere (like amazon), open a new browser window and go directly to Amazon and proceed to check your account from there. Clicking on a URL (link) can, in and of itself, initiate bad things.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And remember, if you report them send the full header in a forwarded email. The full header is NOT just the From: To: lines, but a long list of headers from the email that was sent. In you email client, click on help and type in header.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote