Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2023, 07:36 PM   #21
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep4me View Post
Hey guys I'm just repeated what he told me and he is a Dexter employee, not saying i agree or anything but they still are not like disk brakes on you truck that are hydraulic with vacuum booster or hydraulic boosted from the power steering pump, you still have electricity with an electric pump to operate them. My boat has surge disk brakes they are great very simple system no electricity required.
We didn't think that you were making the statement ep4me. Like you said, you just passed along what was said.

My last boat trailer had the hydraulic disc surge brake system. That one was the best boat trailer I had owned bar none. Alas the grandkids got to old to come spend extended amounts of time with Poppie and G'maw and I got tired of the boat just sitting beneath a carport. Good bit of horse trading latter DW and I are VERY happy with our choice and life style now

Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:25 AM   #22
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
I just had Performance Trailer Braking replace my 7k drum brake axles with new Dexter 8k axles with Kodiak disc brakes with ceramic pads. I had my brake controller in the truck set to 9, the install tech recommended I start at 4 and see how it performs. Cant wait to hit the road and see!
Old 03-02-2023, 04:13 PM   #23
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Mary View Post
I just had Performance Trailer Braking replace my 7k drum brake axles with new Dexter 8k axles with Kodiak disc brakes with ceramic pads. I had my brake controller in the truck set to 9, the install tech recommended I start at 4 and see how it performs. Cant wait to hit the road and see!
Todd do you have install pics to share with the boys and girls here? I'm headed up to Norman, OK in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:25 PM   #24
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
This is a quote from Performance Trailer Braking site. https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

Canadian Standards Tests show our brake system stopping a 15,500 lb. trailer needs only 179 feet, using trailer brakes only with no truck brakes applied. This is a 100 feet shorter stopping distance than using truck and electric trailer brakes!

I will never have another trailer without this upgrade, it really is amazing how well the truck and trailer stop with the electric over hydraulic disc brakes.
It is the only way. Considering what you pay for the camper the cost is nothing, and the stress level is down I mean just look at the way the Pinheads are driving around you.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #25
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I had Performance install the same thing on our rig at the Western Rally in Coos Bay in 2018.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new disc brakes.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	14152   Click image for larger version

Name:	actuator.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	14153   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake line along frame.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	14154  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:19 PM   #26
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I had Performance install the same thing on our rig at the Western Rally in Coos Bay in 2018.
Thanks Bob! Discs look awesome on there. Will darn sure be peace of mind.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:53 AM   #27
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
A little jealous
Old 03-03-2023, 08:12 PM   #28
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Todd do you have install pics to share with the boys and girls here? I'm headed up to Norman, OK in a couple of weeks.
Unfortunately, I didn't get photo's while he was working. I do have some after shots I will include. But I can tell you it took the tech (Dennis) about 6 hours to complete, done all by himself in the desert here in Quartzsite AZ.
Raised the RV with leveling system.
Removed the tires.
Removed the axles and slid them from under the Rig.
Slid new axles under and attached to the springs.
Installed the disc brakes (Kodiak)
Installed the head end in the door side LP tank bay.
Ran the lines on the side of the door side frame.
Installed the flex lines to the brake assemblies and bled.
When we tested the system with the truck attached it was pulsing the brakes about every 10-20 seconds, so we had to install a resistor to dampen that signal. This is a common problem on some trucks.
Dennis recommended I set the brake controller force to 4 from 9 which I had been running with the drum brakes.
That rectified the issue. All is good now, we will be moving on 3/11 I will update performance then.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...tYk2EzeovxrYqo