Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2023, 10:51 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
RV Travel Article

I was reading thru an article on RVtravel.com about the motorhome manufacturer Tiffin starting the downward slide. In the article it was stated that Forest River had cut its employees workweek down to 3 and that Keystone had cut its employees workweek down to 3 then 2. Can anyone on the MOC comment or confirm this? Has the RV industry as a whole truly come to "parade rest" this suddenly and with this much definition or was the article overstating a reduced workweek but for a small number of employees?

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
IF the article is accurate, then it's no surprise to me. I was planning on a new tow vehicle a year ago but with prolonged sky high diesel prices and equipment prices we decided to keep our present stuff and then transition away from RVing entirely. There comes a tipping point and we for one have reached it.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:24 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Remember the boom during Covid. This is the flip side. Every thing that goes up will come down.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:31 PM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Has the industry historically had manufacturing ups and downs throughout the year? Is it typically seasonal so that temporary reduction in production would be part of their normal cycle?

There is currently a glut of RV's in a marketplace that has definitely slowed down. It might take a year or two, or more, for the industry to equalize to be similar to what it was before Covid.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:20 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It seems the busy production from a few months ago has cooled. Exactly one year ago, the local RV dealership nearest my home (Keystone products) had almost empty lots. Now, it's jam packed full. I watched their sales lot get repopulated more and more through the year. Now, it's so filled with new units (and packed full of campers needing repairs), it's almost impossible to find a parking spot for a bicycle.

If units are not selling fast enough, then it only makes sense that manufacturing will slow down. This is not the first rodeo, nor will it be the last. About 5 or 6 years ago there was a serious downward trend when it hit the national news (and nothing to sneeze at), the because of the slacking RV industry, hundreds of RV employees were being laid off in Elkhart and Goshen which was horribly affecting the economy of both cities. Yes, it wasn't THAT long ago. Has everyone forgotten those days?

The exact same comments were being made on these forums then as they are today? "What's going on." Well, after hundreds were laid off, things took another turn and slowly sales increased again, then Covid hit which caused it to skyrocket. And now, here we are, approaching another slump.

I don't think there is anything to be alarmed about, unless you are one of those employees whose work schedule has been reduced. But with every job, before we accept the terms for employment, we are all "usually" fully aware of the risks for any longevity at the job, we understand our opportunities for advancement and we understand what to expect for increased salaries and raises and cost of living raises. If you don't ask these questions when you apply for a new job, then shame on you. Understanding what your future may or may not hold is your responsibility. And when the market changes for your type of employment, it should come as no surprise when you get the pink slip. Folks who are "wise" with their place of employment are prepared for the best AND the worst. I'm positive these RV employees were fully aware of the potential down-slope of the business that would eventually come.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:39 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm an EX-aviation employee for 35+ years, so I'm no stranger to cyclic employment. What caught my eye and (if true) is the 2 day workweek ... that has to be devastating to a family that was no doubtedly used to a paycheck with OT money on every one these past couple of years.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:03 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I know for a fact that due to the interest rates sales have severely dropped off. My dealership averages about 40 units a month but over the past 4 months they do about 7. So supply and demand is having an affect. Who wants to pay 10% on $100K rig?
Old 01-31-2023, 02:41 AM   #8
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Saw official documents the other day where Van Leigh is shutting their doors for good. Seems that one was of the Tiffan family... Wonder how many more lines will close down
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:58 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have taken several fairly long trips in the last few months (not RVing) and passed many RV dealers. Where lots were near empty during the pandemic they are now overloaded with new units to the point of parking them off in the grass around the main lots. While selling them faster than they could produce them for a couple of years, they are now overstocked with units they have no demand for. This has always been a cyclical market, but it seems this has been to the extreme in both directions. It will turn around again, just a question of when.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:23 PM   #10
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
With the slow down they have to adjust to maintain the margins they need
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote