Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > THE TRADING POST A MOC MARKET PLACE > Trailers, Tow Vehicles & RV related items for Sale
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2023, 02:10 PM   #1
Larry Harris

M.O.C. #19024
Send a message via AIM to Larry Harris
Difficulty Selling an Older 5th Wheel

Hi, I live in Springfield, Massachusetts and I am trying to sell my 2010 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel. Dealers will consider it only if I'm trading for another (I'm not). I was also told to post it through Good Sam but that didn't work either. Looking for an immediate buyer or good suggestions.

Larry

Larry Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:25 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
The market has slowed so older units may take longer. It's also about condition of the rig and the price you're asking...plus time of year. You're not likely to cut a fat hog on a 2010 and you might do better in 2-3 months. Have you done some comps in your area?

Where have you been trying to sell it? Craigslist? RV Trader?
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Larry,

Anything will sell at the right price. Likely not a lot of folks looking to buy in MA this time of year. Assuming you are advertising it widely you might consider offering delivery.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Look for a consignment joint. Tell them what you want. They will list it and mark it up. They will also spit polish it.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:05 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I sold my 2007 two days after advertising it on Facebook Marketplace. Listed on Wednesday, got 1st inquiry early Thursday, agreed to meet her Friday, she said she wanted it but her husband would have to come see it Saturday. He did and confirmed they would buy. Met her at her bank Tuesday and received a bank check for the full amount. By the time I could post it as sold I had 20+ more inquiries.

I limited the ad to something like 50 mile radius to make showing to potential customers easy and also easy to meet the buyer at their bank to collect payment.

Now it was in 2021 when the market was really good for the seller. I listed it for nada average price for my model in good condition after also googling my year and model to see listed sale prices nationally. Those national asking prices were all over the map so I settled on nada.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:32 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I sold my 2007 two days after advertising it on Facebook Marketplace. Listed on Wednesday, got 1st inquiry e
I limited the ad to something like 50 mile radius to make showing to potential customers easy and also easy to meet the buyer at their bank to collect payment.

Now it was in 2021 when the market was really good for the seller. I listed it for nada average price for my model in good condition after also googling my year and model to see listed sale prices nationally. Those national asking prices were all over the map so I settled on nada.

Just curious. How/when do you turn over the rig to the buyer? At the bank? Before, after? Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:53 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Just curious. How/when do you turn over the rig to the buyer? At the bank? Before, after? Thanks.
I told the buyer I would only accept a check issued by her bank, even though she was paying cash. No personal check. No box full of cash. I met her at her bank. When she handed me the bank check, I signed the title and handed it to her. Since mine was paid for, and she was paying cash (no bank loan involved), it made the transfer simple. If she had been getting a loan, I would probably have had to meet with her and her banker and sign the title over to the bank. But still would have received a bank check.

Trailer was still in storage. They didn't have a truck yet. And were planning to live in it in an RV park about 5 miles away. I agreed to tow the trailer to the RV park for her. Otherwise she would have been free to take the trailer herself after the money and title transfer.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:26 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
When I bought my last one I just wrote a check for a little over $50K and he gave me the rig and the title. Last I sold one, I took at cashiers check for $28K and gave him title and rig. Sold a car to a guy I thought was a little shady looking and asked for cash. Also sold another older trailer for around $10K and took cash.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:47 PM   #9
Larry Harris

M.O.C. #19024
Send a message via AIM to Larry Harris
Thumbs up Thanks Folks

Thanks to all of you for your replies and suggestions. Many things included I hadn't considered. Time to do more homework and advertising. Appreciate you all.
Larry Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:15 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A follow up about my sale. People are sometimes not what they appear.

This couple (about 30?) we’re very nice, drove nice vehicles, and obviously had the money to pay cash ($17,500 for my 14 yr old 5er). Said their daughter was living with them in a smaller 5er at the RV park. They wanted to buy a larger one for themselves and give the smaller to their daughter.

Fast forward 10 months. A gentleman shows up at my house and asked if I owned a Montana. I explained about the sale almost a year before. He asked if I still had any claim to it. I asked why he wanted to know. He said he owned the RV park and the trailer had been abandoned stuffed with so much trash the slides could not be put in. He was going to have it hauled off for salvage. A shame. Even though 14 yrs old it was still in near perfect condition with a number of upgrades.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:49 PM   #11
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
2010 was a good year post it online and let rv group know it’s for sale
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #12
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
older fifth wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Harris View Post
Hi, I live in Springfield, Massachusetts and I am trying to sell my 2010 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel. Dealers will consider it only if I'm trading for another (I'm not). I was also told to post it through Good Sam but that didn't work either. Looking for an immediate buyer or good suggestions.

Larry
i bought mine on the facebook market place, it is a 2010 and i bought it in 2020
chessera2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #13
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I have sold 3 5'ers on Craigslist, always after upgrading. Bought my current Montana on Craigslist. I drove 150 miles to get the Montana... once to look at it and a second time to pull it home a week later. I paid him cash, which is what he wanted.

In all cases I sold, I accepted cash in 2 of the cases, and met the 3rd buyer at his bank and he gave me a cashiers check.

I suppose taking cash now you risk counterfeit money. I think if I ever sell another I would ask for a cashiers check.

Some have told me that FB Marketplace is the new Craigslist, but I don't like FB so I have never explored that option.

Good luck!
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:36 AM   #14
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
"No" to consignment

I have tried to sell 2 units through consignment. 1 sold, the second it sat there for half of a year with no offers. The price was jacked up to what a younger model was going for. Meanwhile, the batteries failed and so did the market. Had I tried to sell myself during the best time to do so, I probably would have sold it for the price it should have been in the first place. I still have it and continue using it while trying to sell it myself.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:09 AM   #15
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Facebook marketplace. Fast turnaround, and free.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote