Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2023, 01:50 PM   #21
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBobUSA View Post
I apologize if this is the incorrect forum or if similar info already exists in the message boards. In my defense, I'm bad at searching and during hide and go seek, lost one of kids for a couple years.

I'm full timing in my 2017 3721RL at a park with 50 amp service, but it has no water or sewer, yet. I can cheaply and easily transport in IBC totes full of potable water, but need to pressurize it.

Is the onboard pump made for this purpose or is it only meant to fill the fresh water tank?
That's exactly what the pump does. I see a few answers that are totally wrong. I also have a portable 12V pump to pump from a 65 gallon bladder in the back of my truck into the holding tank. The builtin pump is often better pressure than the campground water.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:31 AM   #22
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Just for clarity, seems I'm sensing a bit of confusion. My 35 gallon water tank and water transfer pump are used to fill the fresh water tank on my camper. Once its in the tank, the trailer on-board water pumps works like it always does.

It is possible to use a water pump with a portable tank outside the camper by simply hooking the hose from the pump directly to the trailer connection where the hose would attach if you are connected to city water. Turn the pump on (not the trailer pump) and you have pressure, same as running from city water. The only problem is, a water (transfer) pump has no pressure switch to turn it on and off. So it will run all the time and never shut off. BUT, in a pinch it could work this way. But the pump would never shut off.

You can do the same thing, if you purchase a separate RV water pump. They have the pressure switches built in and will turn on and off with the changing water pressure. This COULD be done, and not use the on-board pump, instead use one externally pumping from an external water tank. This would be no different that hooking a hose up to the spigot on your house. It's just the water pump is not pumping water from the ground. It's a much smaller one that pumping water from a tank.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:15 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Tractor supply has RV type water pumps with a pressure switch. Easy hook up.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:36 PM   #24
AZMont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26281
12 Volt Pump Hook Up

Here is what I did to solve this problem while at national park campgrounds with no hook ups or boondocking. I use a simple 12volt receptacle extension to get power from the truck or 5th wheel. I go fill my 6 gallon water cans up, put the pump on my tailgate. Run the water hose to the 5th Wheel RV fill and turn the pump on. I am also careful to not let the pump run dry. I can also fill the water cans while they are in my truck bed, so am not lifting or carrying the full water containers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump for pressure fill from 5 gal can.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	13982  
AZMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:06 AM   #25
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
[QUOTE=TimBobUSA;1267809]My challenge was not knowing what the onboard pump would really do, but all y'all have convinced me to go buy a pump for this task. I'm going to set the IBC tote on the ground, connect a hose from that to a pump that's not out in the weather, and then into the "city water" connector on the RV.

Just curious how you will get the tote from the truck to the ground while full of water?? Anything bigger than 10 gallons will be getting very heavy.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:08 PM   #26
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
You just need to hook it up and turn the pump on are use a short hose and stick in the water jug and then turn the water pump on
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:56 AM   #27
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondLove View Post
Make sure you fully sanitize (and keep sanitized) your fresh water system, from bladders to pumps, hoses to fresh water tanks, hot and cold piping, especially if you plan to drink the standing water. Frankly I would never drink my fresh tank water, even after bleaching the system. For showering/dishes/brushing teeth only. Even Fido gets bottled when we aren’t connected to city water. And, we only drink city water that has been boiled (an electric tea kettle works perfectly).
Do you boil all city water, or just if it's not connected and free flowing?

Thanks for the reminders on sanitizing, and I wouldn't drink any standing water either.
TimBobUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:01 AM   #28
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
That's exactly what the pump does. I see a few answers that are totally wrong. I also have a portable 12V pump to pump from a 65 gallon bladder in the back of my truck into the holding tank. The builtin pump is often better pressure than the campground water.
Before posting here, I'd tried to find answers online, especially from Keystone, but had no luck. Keystone's documentation is the worst I've seen for any product, unless I'm missing something or they have a hidden knowledge base.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:17 AM   #29
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Just for clarity, seems I'm sensing a bit of confusion. My 35 gallon water tank and water transfer pump are used to fill the fresh water tank on my camper. Once its in the tank, the trailer on-board water pumps works like it always does.
I don't like single points of failure and I also like to have backups, so I went with the pump listed below and will feed off an IBC tote. If that pump fails, I can always fall back to using the onboard fresh water tank and onboard pump.

The storm back in SC in 2015 encouraged me to work towards greater self reliance, and I'm slowly working towards that.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...D-_-707-_-CONF

Features + Benefits
Thermally protected 115V AC motor
Auto shut-off pressure switch reacts to outlet pressure and interrupts power when it reaches the preset shutoff pressure level
Positive displacement 3-chamber diaphragm
Corrosion-resistant Santoprene® valves and diaphragm
Robust poly housing
Poly pump head
Can run dry without damage
Handles liquids up to 170°F
NSF and CSA certified, UL listed
Old 01-31-2023, 06:19 AM   #30
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Tractor supply has RV type water pumps with a pressure switch. Easy hook up.
Lynwood
Thanks, I'd looked at those and ended up getting one from Northern Tool. TSC has gotten enough of my money.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:26 AM   #31
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMont View Post
Here is what I did to solve this problem while at national park campgrounds with no hook ups or boondocking. I use a simple 12volt receptacle extension to get power from the truck or 5th wheel. I go fill my 6 gallon water cans up, put the pump on my tailgate. Run the water hose to the 5th Wheel RV fill and turn the pump on. I am also careful to not let the pump run dry. I can also fill the water cans while they are in my truck bed, so am not lifting or carrying the full water containers.
Thanks. I never cease to be amazed by the ingenuity of the members of the MOC. I was spoiled by being always being in a park with 50 amp service, water, and sewer.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:43 AM   #32
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
[QUOTE=twindman;1268216]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBobUSA View Post
Just curious how you will get the tote from the truck to the ground while full of water?? Anything bigger than 10 gallons will be getting very heavy.
One food-grade tote will sit on the ground at the RV, allowing me up to 325 gallons of water, and another will rotate in and out of the truck, when I need to transfer water. I don't own a utility trailer, yet, but I'm considering getting one to use with a single tote, so I can just disconnect it, drive to my property, refill, and then back to the RV park.

I can't legally live in the RV on my land and don't want to risk it, because the per-day fines are huge, if I get reported.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:44 AM   #33
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed View Post
You just need to hook it up and turn the pump on are use a short hose and stick in the water jug and then turn the water pump on
The guy that's parked next to me does that. I'm trying to avoid making multiple trips for water every week.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:45 PM   #34
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
No that’s just one thing
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote