Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Nirvana 2023 coming to an end.

Continuing from this post:

Click here - Nirvana! our time at Pilot Mountain State Park at Pinnacle, North Carolina (Near Mount Airy) is coming to an end.

Today is our last full day here. Tomorrow, about 9:00 am we'll depart. I'm finishing up my duties as the Camp Host, and ready to turn every thing over for the next host. It's been 2 months of "little paradise". It's sad to leave, but we do need to return home for some things; more doctor appointments, and I've got a Jury Duty form I need to get filled out and sent back. I called them and they've given me an extension since I was out of the state (Indiana) for 2 months. But I've got to get it back to them.

On Monday, September 4, we'll be at Mounds State Park (Anderson, Indiana) for a week (After Labor Day week-end), close to home and able to take care of some of these personal things.

I'm not thrilled about doing Jury duty, but if called upon, I'd like to get it over with so I can get on with my retirement camping and not have to worry about things like this for another couple years!

Pilot Mountain State Park (North Carolina) has been great again. I cannot recommend any better place on earth for camping. But, remember, this is a "primitive" campground. No electricity, no hook-ups, no dump station. Generators welcome, but it's designed for tent campers. It's so dang dark at night is awesome. It's so dang quiet at night, except for the Cascadia's screaming, it's awesome! The rangers absolutely enforce the rules, and there is no monkey shII going on here. I am still impressed that the rangers cited one set of campers for under age alcohol use, litter, and destroying park property. And how many times the rangers called folks to return to clean their camp sites because they left it in an undesirable condition. Oh yea, people really get pissed at that, but it's either pay the fine or come back and clean it up. I REALLY, REALLY wish other states and state parks would do the same. A lot of the monkey shII that goes on would quickly come to a stop. This is another reason this state park stays so pristine! Everyone works very hard to keep it that way.

Yes, it's Nirvana! And yes, I've been invited to come back again next year, July and August.

Now... we go back to Las Vegas RV style state park camping with lights on all night, neon flashing, cars running around all day and night, and all sorts of commercialized, electronic noises to kill the sound and ambiance of nature! Oh well, it was WONDERFUL while it lasted!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:45 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Everything worked like clockwork. Left Pilot Mountain State Park at 9:30 AM on August 31. It was sad leaving, but already looking forward to coming back next year.

We arrived at the Huntington / Milton Fox Fire KOA about 3:30 pm for an over night. Got unhitched, set up, and went to Sonic hot dog drive-in at Barboursville, WV for supper and then hit the Kroger grocery store then. Back to camper where we chilled the rest of the night.

Fox Fire KOA is a nice spot for an overnight. We've been at this KOA several times now over the last 15 years and somehow we keep returning for one night, overnights. It's a good mid-way point for us between Indiana and North and South Carolina (depending on where we are heading).

However, Fox Fire is located right along Highway 60 and the highway noise is awful (especially after coming from almost perfect quiet and total dark mountain camping). On the back side of the campground they have a row of city street lights, so the entire campground is definitely not "dark".

They do have a dog park, sell fire wood, have a nice swimming area (in a lake) and the grounds are exceptionally clean this year. The last time we were here, the entire place seemed drab. This time, everything just seems more fresh. Everything is mowed and manicured nicely. And there are actually empty campsites. Granted, we arrived on Thursday night. But today (Friday), is the first day of Labor Day weekend camping, so I just imagine this place will be completely packed full tonight.

We'll be home by tonight.

I just checked the Pilot Mountain State Park, NC, Reserve America Reservation site, and they are 100% booked solid for Labor Day week end. I feel for the incoming camp host. He's going to be busy! He arrives today, September 1. I wish him well.

So, there we are folks. I'm now back among the living. Next stop home, and then Monday we'll be at Mounds State Park in Anderson, Indiana, about 15 miles from our home.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #3
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Thanks for sharing. Safe travels
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 02:29 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Thanks for sharing your adventure
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:13 PM   #5
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Thanks for the update! Just curious, does the camp host have hookups? Love the sound of Pilot Mountain but we are too accustomed to having power and water!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:30 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yes, the camp host has full hook-ups (30 and 50 amp) water and sewer. All the sites are non-electric. There are 11 water spigots through the campground, 2 bath houses, 42 campsites (1 of those is the camp host). Some sites will accommodate a 30-35 foot RV with no problems. Most of the sites (the parking spot for the vehicle) is on a slope. There are 3 sites that have almost level parking spots. Every campsite has a tent pad. They all are framed in with tembers and packed with sand, almost like concrete, but still sand. They are well maintained, level, and water does not flow on them. They are all slightly above the grade of the ground. Generators are permitted, but must be off during quiet hours (10 pm to 7 am).

There are some YouTube videos out there about Pilot Mountain State Park Campground. They are worth watching, although they are a few years old now, nothing has changed except the host site, which they've improved. It's now a pull through.

Just for what it's worth, I put in about 65 hours each week. They only require 24. I kept myself busy and worked the grounds to get them into emaculate shape. And then I really worked with the camping guests as much as possible. I delivered fire wood TO their sites so they wouldn't have to carry the bundles. I help one older woman set up her tent. I transported some hikers back down the mountain in my truck. I walked the Grindstone trail with a solo woman from the top back to the campground. Then took her back to the top in my truck so she could get to her vehicle. I took their concerns and complaints and questions back to the rangers and found answers for them.... for example .... where is the best place to purchase ice, where are the best restaurants, and did Andy Griffith REALLY live in Mount Airy? Where's the nearest grocery store. and so on and on.

In spite of the time I invested, we still had plenty of down-time and plenty of opportunities to explore the area. I only regret I did not make it to the top of Sauratown Mountain.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:58 PM   #7
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Thanks for that information! Still sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Not to the point where we wish to commit to being a camp host. We will look into that when we finish exploring the world!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:28 PM   #8
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Arizona has an opt out for seniors 70 years and older. You might have the same option.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote