Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2023, 08:10 AM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Ambient Switches

Recently I was in need of replacing one of my Ambient switches for the refer and freezer.
I went to a dealer and they could order them at $60.00 plus $15 shipping and handling?????
I thought that can’t be right for a small Double Pole Single Throw switch???
I went to several electronics stores looking with no avail, sigh.
Then I thought of Amazon, low and be hold, 5, yes 5 switches for $5.75 including shipping next day. Got them next day, installed and wah-lah, it is now working.
I hope this is if some help
I also found, not all Montanas have them. They are use in very cold climates to keep your refer and freezer from freezing due to outside freezing temperatures.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:51 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
Recently I was in need of replacing one of my Ambient switches for the refer and freezer.
I went to a dealer and they could order them at $60.00 plus $15 shipping and handling?????
I thought that can’t be right for a small Double Pole Single Throw switch???
I went to several electronics stores looking with no avail, sigh.
Then I thought of Amazon, low and be hold, 5, yes 5 switches for $5.75 including shipping next day. Got them next day, installed and wah-lah, it is now working.
I hope this is if some help
I also found, not all Montanas have them. They are use in very cold climates to keep your refer and freezer from freezing due to outside freezing temperatures.
Everything is cheaper on Amazon
Old 01-10-2023, 02:55 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Every time I buy something my wife asks where I got it. I just look at her. “Oh yeah, Amazon” she says.

Usually 1-2 days free delivery, far easier than going store to store trying to find what I want, and usually cheaper for the exact same thing. And they make returns super easy.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:32 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Amazon is really great in a lot of ways. We've been able to get a lot of things from Amazon that the big box stores simply do not have any more. Even the little box stores don't have many things any more. Plus, the prices are always cheaper.

Now, when it comes to buying clothing? That's a different matter. I'd NEVER EVER buy a pair of shoes off Amazon without trying them on first!

Although, my wife did buy me a new package of under wear a couple weeks ago off Amazon. They were "Haines", same as in the store, so she knew they'd fit OK. And they were about $5.00 cheaper than in the store! Imagine that! Free shipping as she has an account.

And not too long ago, she ordered an item in the morning, and it was delivered THAT afternoon! I was blown away at that one! But it really did happen!

On Edit:

I do a lot of wood working. I'm currently building a new cabinet in our kitchen in the house. I use a 1/3 sheet orbital (vibrating) electric sander. They last about 5 years and I, literally, grind them down to death using them.

The last time I needed a new one, it as near impossible to find. The big box stores simply do not carry them any more. They have the 1/2 sheet and the 1/4 sheet, but I want the 1/3rd sheet size. I found one at Mendard's, and used it for years.

Well, it died last week. I went to every Home Improvement store in my area looking for another 1/3 sheet orbital vibrating sander. None! Even Home Depot showed a 1/2 sheet sander on their web site for $340. I was willing to pay! I needed the sander even though this one would have been much larger than I'm comfortable working with.

Nope, it wasn't in store!

My wife went out to Amazon and found one..... $19.00. Ordered it and I had it the next day! Imagine that! It works very nice too. For $19.00, I'm not complaining at all. (and shipping was free).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote