Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Can you buy a tailgate in the Valley?

We're looking to buy a V tailgate for our Dodge. Does anyone know if it would be prudent (price-wise) to buy it in the Valley or before we get to the Valley?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sorry Judy, Cannot help you there.

Also, I have not seen those pretty windows here, maybe I just was not looking in the right spots??? someone else might have seen them tho!

How's the fires up Ft Worth way???
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The fires are nasty, to say the least. We elected to stay at RV Ranch on I-35 because of the fires. The area around the lake where we usually stay is vulnerable because of the grasslands and trees. Last night we read that there was a fire in Benbrook, the town nearest Benbrook Lake, on Lakeview Drive (exact location unknown, but close) so we seem to have made a wise decision. Closer to the Ok/TX stateline, small towns are completely burned up or heavily damaged. So sad.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just a note to say that we pull our Montana through Ringgold, Texas a couple of times a year on our way to Colorado. That is the town near the Oklahoma border (Red River) which has made the national news. It is an even smaller town that this one where we live, but it is almost non existant now, almost totally consumed by the wildfire.

We are concerned about our home which is surrounded by pine forest. If fire did break out, there would be little we could do about it.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We will say extra prayers for you David! This sure is nasty business.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We live in a similar setting, David, and always have that concern in the back of our minds. Fortunately, Alabama is not as dry as Texas. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you. We lived in Burkburnett, east of Ringgold on the Oklahoma state line so that area is familiar to us. Fire is so devastating. I would want to get some of my precious things out of the house, but where can a person go with them? It is so sad.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
padredw,

If you contact me off forum I can send you a video on things you can do to your property to make it more fire resistant. Most people think of forest fires as trees burning, but it's actually the light fuels on the ground that are the biggest problem. There are many things you can do.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sweetfire,
The fire prevention thing is important to a lot of us. Could you start a topic about some fire prevention methods? I know I would appreciate knowing more. I guess the "General" section would be the best place to post it. I think it could help a lot of members.

Thanks,

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Hamrad, that is a terrific suggestion, as many of us in our travels visit so many different places, many unknown to us. Unknown dangers, etc. A little education of what to look for that may put us in danger would be a great help!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
OK, the videos.........

Moved to; "SITTING AROUND THE CAMP FIRE"
Old 01-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I'll just jump back in here for a moment to share an interesting strategy of ours. A friend of mine from college days (over 50 years ago) has just died. His home was in Lexington, KY, but the memorial service will be held in the little town of Sandersville, GA. I want to attend this service, not as a minister, but as a friend.

Here is the interesting strategy: we do not expect it to happen, but if fire should break out near here (and we are in an extreme danger zone)we would not want to be away. SO... we decided to de-winterize our Montana (not much trouble in our climate) and travel to Georgia in it--TAKING WITH US some of our most valued pictures, computers, papers, etc. You get the picture. If the worst happened, we would have some very important physical treasures of our lives with us.

We will be leaving tomorrow morning. Will spend Thursday night at Roosevelt State Park in Mississippi, and Friday night at Lake Pines near Columbus, GA. We will leave the RV there and drive over to Sandersville on Saturday, returning for the night to Columbus. Then starting on Sunday, right on back home.

My friend, Frank Roughton Harvey, had a most interesting career and ministry. He was an "evangelistic actor", and a very good actor at that. He has delivered "The Sermon on the Mount" thousands of times in the role of Jesus. He also had many other Biblical characters in his repertoire. All this in spite of the fact that he had significant crippling physical disability from childhood. He was a great spirit! Not only that, he was great fun to be with. We will miss him.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Good idea Dave, always good to have a roof over your head.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
What a great idea, David, to load up the Monty and take your treasures with you. It will certainly make your trip to Georgia more relaxing. Wish we were at home. You'll be passing right through Montgomery, AL, I suspect. But then we're in Texas, closer to you and the fires. Stay safe and thanks for the great testimony about your friend's life and vocation.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
David and Shirley,
Sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like he was a truly great human being. Safe travels and good idea on taking important things with you. I think would be a good idea for anyone going away on an extended trip. We always take our insurance papers, investments, birth certificates, vehicle information, etc. with us even if we are only going for a week.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
jrgwdenner,
I give up on this topic! It has gotten so far off topic that it no longer resembles in any shape or form what it started out to be. Having said that it is a very interesting number of directions it has taken. So Judy you're on your own on this one! Sorry!

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:09 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nobody cares about my tailgate! Thanks, RVWheels, a good discussion, even off topic, is still a good discussion. Let's just let it roll.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:44 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy
I'll go back to your tailgate. I have a question - do you find things are cheaper in the RGV because of so many winter visitors or are they more expensive because the vendors know they can get them. We noticed diesel took a real nose dive here in Hemet right at the time our winter visitors were due to arrive. Hemet caters to the snowbirds a lot and this was just one thing. So is the RGV the same way? The RGV is on our "in the future" list.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sue, this is our first time to the Valley so we can't speak from personal experience but reportedly they do cater to Winter Texans. I'll give you a better report after we're there for a while. Meanwhile, maybe some of the experts can give us a clue.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #19
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
What kind of a tailgate do you want? Painted metal, plastic, aluminum? How much do you want to spend?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We looking at something metal instead of plastic. Just wanted to know if they're generally available in that area.