Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #41
pacbj
Established Member

M.O.C. #23907
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
Well you're just a lucky guy then.
Set screws in a sheet metal bed, that seems very secure.
Between my 2 hauler neighbors and myself, we have roughly 200,000 miles on our andersen’s and 0.0 hitch movement on the turnover balls.

pacbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #42
CLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #23679
I have a 2020 3500HD GMC SB. I don’t have your hitch setup but thought a comment about my setup might be an option.
I installed a Reese Goosebox on my 2020 3021rl and it works great with the new longer short box. I can turn 90 degrees with a few inches to spare! Plus I have ample room in the forward part of the box to carry two sets of golf clubs under the roll up tonneau cover. I keep it pulled back about 1/4 of the box length to keep rain and prying eyes off the clubs.
CLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #43
Howard and Kathy
Established Member

M.O.C. #23077
I have it in a 2019 GMC 1 ton crew and I love it. if you buy the Anderson get the aluminum one and the get the kit for chevy or gmc. it gives you the fitting that goes into the bed.
The aluminum hitch weighs 35 lbs
Howard
I have added a web site to look at. The hitch has an offset and you can also turn the attachment on the trailer to pick up more room. I have never measured the turning but have never had an issue backing into tight spots.
https://help.andersenhitches.com/ins...eel-connection
Howard and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #44
Clark 2012 346LBQ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25245
I would call Anderson and talk directly to them as they will know their hitches best. We ended up with the gooseneck adapter for our fifth wheel and gave gas no issues using almost daily for the first three months and now weekly.
Clark 2012 346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #45
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLM View Post
I have a 2020 3500HD GMC SB. I don’t have your hitch setup but thought a comment about my setup might be an option.
I installed a Reese Goosebox on my 2020 3021rl and it works great with the new longer short box. I can turn 90 degrees with a few inches to spare! Plus I have ample room in the forward part of the box to carry two sets of golf clubs under the roll up tonneau cover. I keep it pulled back about 1/4 of the box length to keep rain and prying eyes off the clubs.
Thanks for the input!!!

I don't quite understand how that setup gets to 90deg. I measured my truck from cab to ball, and it measures 44". From the center of the camper to the outside is 48" (not verified, but has to be close), and if the trailer dimension is more than the truck dimension, it will hit, BEFORE 90deg.

I don't "need" 90deg turning, but I do need tight tight turning, probably somewhere around 80+deg, because of my driveway. I don't want to be anywhere close and have to worry about it.

I'm puzzled how yours works.... Hummmmm....
Old 12-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #46
CLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #23679
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Thanks for the input!!!

I don't quite understand how that setup gets to 90deg. I measured my truck from cab to ball, and it measures 44". From the center of the camper to the outside is 48" (not verified, but has to be close), and if the trailer dimension is more than the truck dimension, it will hit, BEFORE 90deg.

I don't "need" 90deg turning, but I do need tight tight turning, probably somewhere around 80+deg, because of my driveway. I don't want to be anywhere close and have to worry about it.

I'm puzzled how yours works.... Hummmmm....
The goosebox is a few inches longer than the factory pin box, this may explain the ability to turn 90 degrees??? I agree that 90 is not needed but it’s a bit of insurance in case I goof up.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #47
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark 2012 346LBQ View Post
I would call Anderson and talk directly to them as they will know their hitches best. We ended up with the gooseneck adapter for our fifth wheel and gave gas no issues using almost daily for the first three months and now weekly.
Do you have a SB or LB truck???
Old 12-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #48
CLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #23679
Quote:
The goosebox is a few inches longer than the factory pin box, this may explain the ability to turn 90 degrees??? I agree that 90 is not needed but it’s a bit of insurance in case I goof up.
Thinking a bit more into this, although the measurement is 48” the lower portion of the rv’s front cap is tapered inward s as lowing a tighter turn. The portion above this tapered potion would likely contact if the trucks can was taller but that’s not the case. Hopes this helps...,
Old 12-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #49
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Hummm... That doesn't make sense. Even if it is longer than the stock pinbox, that doesn't actually increase your ability to turn tighter. The only dimension that matters is the distance from the pin to the outside of the trailer, and that is going to be 48"ish.

I would like to see a picture of that, so I can understand how that works.

Not doubting you, it just doesn't add up in my calculating mind...
Old 12-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #50
CLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #23679
Quote:
Hummm... That doesn't make sense. Even if it is longer than the stock pinbox, that doesn't actually increase your ability to turn tighter. The only dimension that matters is the distance from the pin to the outside of the trailer, and that is going to be 48"ish.

I would like to see a picture of that, so I can understand how that works.

Not doubting you, it just doesn't add up in my calculating mind...
I came to the same conclusion prior to buying the pin box. Once on I was presently surprised that something was different in my favour. I will be back at the rv Jan 14 and can take some photos.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #51
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
I came to the same conclusion prior to buying the pin box. Once on I was presently surprised that something was different in my favour. I will be back at the rv Jan 14 and can take some photos.
That would be awesome!!!
Old 12-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #52
KC1/2ton

M.O.C. #24709
But - there are Newbies that are still trying to understand these hitches! I appreciate the info! Thank You!
KC1/2ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #53
sberlin
Established Member

M.O.C. #22049
I had a 2013 2500HD Silverado CC SB SRW and now have a 2015 GMC 3500HD CC SB SRW and have the Anderson. It’s worked perfectly in both trucks and allowed virtually a 90 degree turn. The distance is somewhat relative since the hitch is reversible so you can adjust for what suits you. From the back of the bed to the start of the ball is 33” on my truck.
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #54
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
So, I happened onto this video last night of a guy installing an older style SuperGlide with the Ford OEM pucks:

I'm not interested in the installation that he did, BUT he used an ISR to SuperRail adapter (used only on PullRite hitches), and this is what I need, IF I had an ISR to OEM adapter like the Demco!

This is the link to the PullRite part number:

https://www.pullrite.com/4409

At the end of the day, this would allow me to keep my current hitch. Then, I just get the Demco adapter and this ISR to SuperRail adapter...

What I really need is a Demco adapter that has my style of SuperRails welded to it. Somehow, I don't see that happening, unless I make one myself. Maybe I call Demco, and see if they will sell me a base plate without the ISR hat sections welded onto it, and then I weld on the SuperRails that I have!!
Old 12-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #55
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Hitch is going to be way too high I do believe with a setup like that
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #56
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
Hitch is going to be way too high I do believe with a setup like that
I thought about that too, but I think that it will only be higher by the amount of the tube that holds the ISR tabs. That appears to be like 1" tube.

BUT, the original SuperRails that I have in my truck, actually sit off the bed about the same distance as the ISR rails. They do not touch the bed at all.

The way that the guy was doing it in the video for SURE will be too high, and that's not what I would do...
Old 12-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #57
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Thinking a bit more into this, although the measurement is 48” the lower portion of the rv’s front cap is tapered inward s as lowing a tighter turn. The portion above this tapered potion would likely contact if the trucks can was taller but that’s not the case. Hopes this helps...,
I happened onto this GREAT video that explains all of this stuff that we've been talking about recently:

https://youtu.be/bugjIXCyzf8

While this is a PullRite produced video, the graphics are very clear on what happens, and that simply extending or making your hitch longer does nothing for preventing you from hitting the cab. Their illustration actually shows how it works...
Old 12-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #58
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
I thought about that too, but I think that it will only be higher by the amount of the tube that holds the ISR tabs. That appears to be like 1" tube.

BUT, the original SuperRails that I have in my truck, actually sit off the bed about the same distance as the ISR rails. They do not touch the bed at all.

The way that the guy was doing it in the video for SURE will be too high, and that's not what I would do...
The Reese is 2"tubing, and sits pretty flat on the bed , as flat as it can ,just barely making contact with the plastic rings that go around the pucks in the bed. Can't go any lower ,nor could any other adapter.

Anything else that holds any hitch higher off the Reese adapter is going to be on the hitch itself. That frame does not contribute any more height then the 2". Demco as far as I can tell might be what 1*1/2 high, doubtful if any lower, possibly a bit higher. Hopefully it sits pretty flat also.

Sitting on my Reese adapter with my Reese 18K manual slider I am whatever the height difference is between standard bed rails I had in my previous truck , what around 1*1/2" high compared to the 2" of the adapter.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #59
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
I've been following this thread for a while. Now we will soon be buying a new Ram with 8' bed and considering either the Ultimate or the B & W Companion. Anybody with comparative experience?
dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #60
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfryk View Post
I've been following this thread for a while. Now we will soon be buying a new Ram with 8' bed and considering either the Ultimate or the B & W Companion. Anybody with comparative experience?

One your grandchildren can carry the other will break your back trying to lift.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote