Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Stool problem

Well we are at the Central Plains Rally and we have several Montanas in the park that are not with our group! Most are workers that are working on I-80. We were talking to one of them and they have a stool problem-- It keeps running AFTER it is flushed. Not much but just a trickle BUT it fills up the bowl since the flapper does closes tight and water runs all over the floors. The first time it happened was about two weeks or so ago and they were out working for the day in this nice heat we are having here. When they came home, they had water all over-- bathroom, bedroom, and living room. Three days ago they came home and the underbelly was almost on the ground filled with water. Yesterday they came home and it had ran over the top of the stool again but they caught it before it did any damage this time. The unit is a 2011 3580 and still under warranty. They had a problem several months ago and contacted the local dealer and the dealer told them to bring it in and they would look at it. The problem is this is their home and they have everything they own in it and don't have any other place to go or stay. The local dealer won't even send anyone out to check it out. What can they do?
We talked to jimcol, who is here at the CPRR, and he said he had a problem similar and he was told to take the front of the stool off and there was an adjustment screw in there to adjust the water flow. We're going to let them know about it but is there any other thing for them to do or check besides shutting off the water each time they leave for work?
Since it is under warranty yet, I would think it should be covered but since the local dealer won't send out a tech or anything and they can't bring it into the dealler, what can they do to get the work done besides doing it themselves and having to eat the costs. Can they contact Keystone/Montana customer service and see if they will honor a local RV Tech to come out and fix this problem or maybe even send them a new stool to take care of the problem?

Any advise would be appreciated so we can get this Montana owner some help. They had no idea of MOC but will be checking in on this forum from now on after we told them about it and what we do!

Thanks in advance!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mine did that and Tetford told Camping world to put in a new toilet, the cost for warrintee parts and labor was more than the cost of a new toilet. I also up graded to a porcelin and paid the aditional cost. they are guarinteed for 3 years I believe, and camping world is a autherised repair dealer.
There could be a piece of dirt in the valve, not letting it close all the way too or just buy a new valve set up.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Rondo,

Mine did the same and I repaced the water valve on the side of the toilet. Pretty easy repair and no problems since. I have also read where where others just had to tighten the valve mounting screws to correct the problem.

Phil

ps: ours is a Sealand/Dometic and they were easy to work with. Have him give them a call (if his is the same) and they may send the part out to him under warranty. 1-800-544-4881
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If I were them I would also call Keystone. Keystone has gone over and above for us on warranty work and authorizing non-dealers to work on it. They might be able to talk them into allowing a mobile repair place to come out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
This is a horrible problem that we have also experienced. You just never know when it's going to leak and overflow, it's a lot of fun when you get up in the middle of the night and step in a pool of water. We have the Thetford china bowl toilet. On the back of it there is a wire link that operates the water valve and on ours as soon as you touched the pedal the valve started to open and if everything didn't go all the way to the return position it would weep water. By bending this wire a little I was able to have a little play in that linkage before the valve starts to open and that took care of the problem
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We took our lead from my sister and BIL who had been rving for years, and the last ten in a Fleetwood 5er. They taught me to ALWAYS turn off the outside faucet when leaving, JUST IN CASE, only takes a minute and I never had a problem. Of course, if it leaks in the middle of the night, oh well.....just saying!!!!! (at least until you can get it to a competent dealer).....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I forget to do that Phil, but I've heard that's a good idea just in case something under that pressure busts when you are away. I have a ball valve that I flip when we leave for an extended time if I remember. Sure, things should work, but it's all about how lucky you feel.

As for the "stool" problem, first, it's a commode problem. Stools are the items you put in a commode and if you have a stool problem, get to the doctor! It sounds like the toilet valve is stuck, has debris or needs replacing. Typically, these are not tough problems to fix but do require some comfort around plumbing and mechanics. I have fixed enough toilet problems in my life and have not had to call a plumber and hope your acquaintances are as comfortable.

The biggest problems with warranties is having to use them. Many of them don't cover any other costs while trying to honor a warranty, like what do you do in the meantime, who pays that unexpected cost, what about the inconveniences? Even if you have insurance, many times there are expenses and inconveniences we forget to cover, then as customers we must try and make do. Good luck finding the time to get it fixed. With that warranty you must take it somewhere to get it fixed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Take off the shroud and check the bolt that holds the spring pack on. In fact I would take it apart and check the spring pack and make sure it hasn't sprung loose, and they do... I was also told when you tighten down the bolt holding it on too tight then it prevents the valve from closing all the way. It really isn't too complicated once you open it up and take a look.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote