Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
How secure are our deadbolts?

Has anyone had a locksmith install a new deadbolt? We know anyone can get in through the basements. Just thinking it would provide more security when we're away for the day. Neighbors would hopefully notice someone crawling through the basement. We've always heard that keys are interchangeable on Montanas (and other SOB's). If so, they might not notice someone unlocking and walking in. As an aside, just had the 5er in for warranty work. The dealer said he could not open the OEM deadbolt -- the master key would not open it. Is that right?
Dick and Sharon

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not sure what rig you have (you should put it in your signature so we know when reading your posts) but on our 3400 we leave the bathroom door open where it is over the laundry chut. This prevents access to the rig from the basement area anyway. If a crook wants in bad enough, I don't think a deadbolt will stop them when there is easy access through windows. I will say that we have had attempted break-ins a couple of times that tried to jimmy the front door locks and they were not successful. That is not to say that it is impenetrable but it did impress me.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Yes, we need to put our rig in our signature. Just haven't sat down and done it yet, but will soon. We have a 2010 3075RL Montana. Like you say, they can get in if they want. We just were thinking if "master" keys were available it would make it easy for someone to open it and walk in at an RV park -- in the bright of day with neighbors watching. The neighbors wouldn't think anything is out of the ordinary. It's the "master" keys we are wondering about. Are they out there for the dead bolts? Great idea Bingo and Cathy about opening the bathroom door over the laundry chute!
Dick and Sharon
Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When our rig was new, our dealer would always tell me not to lock the deadbolt when leaving the rig at the shop for repairs. He said they couldn't open the deadbolt. Then we had to have our door replaced and the new lock has one key for the deadbolt and the handle lock. The dealer can't open either one if I lock either one and don't leave him the key.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When I ordered more keys for our Montana I was told there are 14 different key settings for the lock on the Montana. You were told correct the master key only works on the pull handle for dealers. The Master key does not work on the Dead bolt. I only lock with the dead bolt. I never lock the handle.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
So, John, does that mean there are 14 different sets of keys for the deadbolt as well as the pull handle? If so, could anyone with a Montana key have a chance of opening our deadbolt? Now, we would never think anyone here would do that! Just wondering if some deadbeats could get hold of a Montana key and try.
Dick and Sharon
Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Real deadbolt from Lowes works for us. 6 years now.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Confused?/ My door key locks and unlocks both deadbolt and door!! If someone wants in they will get in!! I have haf keys that were stamped "do not duplicate" it was surprising how many people who cut keys never questioned it. The locks only keep honest people out.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by footloose

So, John, does that mean there are 14 different sets of keys for the deadbolt as well as the pull handle? If so, could anyone with a Montana key have a chance of opening our deadbolt? Now, we would never think anyone here would do that! Just wondering if some deadbeats could get hold of a Montana key and try.
Dick and Sharon
1 out of 14 is the odds my key would unlock your dead bolt.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

When our rig was new, our dealer would always tell me not to lock the deadbolt when leaving the rig at the shop for repairs. He said they couldn't open the deadbolt.

Orv
Our dealer said the same thing.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
To open an RV door without a key, all that is needed is a screw driver (wide bit) placed between the jam and frame. Well, maybe one of those 16" nail puller bars. Two guys walk up, one shields from the eyes of others and the other will pry the door open. Three seconds tops.

It will just stress you out if you think about how to "secure" everything all the time. It's impossible. As stated, if they want in, they will get in. With or without you in the RV. It has already happened to others.

Edited: A barking dog is a deterrent. Also lights and noise are deterrents. Think about adding those items rather than changing a deadbolt.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We recently lost one set of keys to our Monty. We had to go to a RV dealer to get the key blank in order to have news cut at the hardware store. The clerk told me she was sorry that she only had the blanks and not the specific key I needed. Yes, there are numbers on our keys to identify which one you have. There are only a few "different" keys to open all those Montanas.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I get 243 different key combinations if there are only 3 depths. if they used 5 depths there would be 600 keys per keyway
but there are several keyways that can be used which will add another set of 243 keys or 600. I would not worry about somebody having your key number the chanches are like trying to hit the lottery.
But if you want to worry some more Home Depot and lowes buy there house locks fron lock hardware companies and the have many locks keyed the same and the wrong person might have the key to your home.
But nobody has a key to my house and never will unless they steel it from me HA HA