Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
ratchet bars

I am looking to stabilize my 3400 Monty and I'm looking at a Keeper 5059 ratcheting cargo bar to do the job. These go for $25.60 each, and I would need six. The J T stabilizer system goes for around $350.00 per set of six. Any feedback would be welcome.

Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Peg Jack

I am looking to stabilize my 3400 Monty and I'm looking at a Keeper 5059 ratcheting cargo bar to do the job. These go for $25.60 each, and I would need six. The J T stabilizer system goes for around $350.00 per set of six. Any feedback would be welcome.

Any cross brace will work as long as it mounted to the landing gear plate, and not the landing gear, all the cross brace would do is flex along with the landing gear legs, needs to be mounted to the plates that are solid on the ground with weight on them.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had the JT's installed two years ago after a year of the dreaded king pin tripod. I am happy with them, but I don't know about the others. Most, if not all, of us that have the JT's are happy with them. Of course we all paid dearly for them also. Some have made their own and are completely happy also. The JT's are not mounted to the foot plate, but the bottom holes of the landing gear and I really don't see problem with that....I have no knowledge, nor heard of, the brand you speak of.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Peg Jack iam sure you can use them, you will have to do some type of mod to mount them as the Keeper 5059 ratcheting cargo bar or mainly to hold cargo inside a box trailer. so if you try them out send some picture sp we a;; can see how they worked for you .
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I had the JT's installed two years ago after a year of the dreaded king pin tripod. I am happy with them, but I don't know about the others. Most, if not all, of us that have the JT's are happy with them. Of course we all paid dearly for them also. Some have made their own and are completely happy also. The JT's are not mounted to the foot plate, but the bottom holes of the landing gear and I really don't see problem with that....I have no knowledge, nor heard of, the brand you speak of.....
You are correct on the JT's being at the bottom of the legs, and not on the plates,but that is not a problem because you have a two brace system and they fight each other so there is no movement, unlike the Steadyfast system that has just one brace, it has to connected to something solid on both ends, one end to frame other end to the foot plate which is solid with the weight of the fifth wheel on them.If that Steadyfast brace was connected the same as a JT it would just sway back and forth with the movement in the legs They both are working on the same principal. Either will work well.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have the JT's and "wouldn't leave home without them!" I figure if I own a $50,000 fiver, I can withstand another $350.00. The beauty of the JT's is they're permanently installed, you just loosen a T handle and the rest is pretty automatic. I grew tired of lugging a tripod around that I found out after the fact didn't come close to doing what the JT's do. Hauling around 6 ratcheting bars and individually placing each one each setup and teardown will become old for you as well. I'm thinking a cargo bar will have a lot of flex as well as having to have some fashion of a perch to even use them. JMHO
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have JT's on our Montana. We had them installed and they are one of the best items we added to our Montana.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 AM   #8
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I used use a king pin stabilizer. Last year after a rally, talking with members that had the JT Stabilizers on their rigs I decided to have them installed. With no stabilizer at all the rv wiggled alot. With the king pin, which was a heavy duty on, alot of the wiggle gone. Now with the JT's I have noticed a major difference, very solid. I wish that I had installed them much earlier. But when you just read about how good they work, without seeing, or talking to someone that has them, makes you wonder. But everyone on here that has them and says they are great... it's very correct.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Hey, Peg,
Just tell Jack to quit dancing inside the rig.

Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote