Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Northeast Region
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We're here

We got here at Pinehill yesterday afternoon. Very warm. The weather is perfect.
One other Montana was here. Frosty. By this afternoon the place was full. Of course, not all are Montana's. Going to be a busy weekend here.
I was a bit surprised at the extra charges for 50 amp, air and cable. But will live with it.
Hope the names get clearer. Hard remembering all the names

Great choice of campground.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Usually the weather for Memorial day in Pennsylvanie is alful.But this weekend looks awesome.I guess the weather GOds knew their would be a Montana Rally,and cleared the way for great weather.

I`ll be their on Wednesday.

Carol how are the sites?Pull thru-back in???

This will be my first time out this year and I have the itch badly.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Hi Everyone,

Donna and I wish you all a wonderful rally. She and I so wanted to attend. Especially visiting the Pennsylvania dutch area. After seeing the Amish in Goshen and doing the heritage trail tour it really sparked our interest.

We were so looking forward to meeting all the new NE rally attendees. As well as catching up with everyone we have met at the past rallies.

Unfortunately, We were hoping to be able to make last minute plans and make the journey. But we have family matters to attend to and can not make the trip. We were hoping after all we have been through we would be able to get away. But in reality, we have actually only had the Monty out once this year, for a raw rainy weekend at Salisbury SP.

Those of you whom are new to the NE rally. You are really in for a treat. You will love the hosts, coordinators, and the people. It is different from the National just because, its a smaller group, and you have more time, getting to know one another.

We will be thinking of you all, and wishing you great weather, and an awesome time.
Take care and safe travels.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
The section we are in are all pull thru. Makes things simplier. I think most of the park is pull thru.

Personally, I feel the sites are narrow. But we don't usually situate ourselves in the middle. We try to keep toward the dog walks, but they assigned us this site. Would not have chosen it personally.

You have to ask for a fire ring. But even if you had one, your so close you'd have to be careful. Chuck was disappointed in that. Some of the other campers have fires going. Watch some guy last night almost burn himself up squirting lighter fluid on his grill. The grill was right under his awning. All ready to grab our fire thing if everything went up. Wonder he didn't burn himself. Squirting it like he did.

For being crowded for Memorial Day, it's a quiet park. Nice choice.

Carol and Chuck
Old 05-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The first RV park we ever stayed in was Pine Hill back in 2003 and since than we have been back 4 times making next week our 6th visit and we will continue to be back every year we venture into SE Penna. We lived just 40 minutes away and my family is still in that area.

I believe, where we will be parked it is all pull thrus with the exception of the left side and the end row which are all easy back ins. Yes the sites are not all that level but than again how many campsites in any campground are? As far as the size of the sites? Again in my opinion the sites are MORE than adequate and paying extra for 50 AMP and cable is more the rule in most campgrounds than not. In Branson and here in Nashville they both charged extra for 50 AMP. Here in Nashville we are dealing with trees and electric/water stands and when parking you do have to deal with them especially with leaving room for the slides or putting out your awning. Just ask Potvin about the electric/water stand and his slide and Carlson about the tree and putting out his awning.

Also, In my opinion there is room for a fire ring so long as you are not trying to lite up an inferno. They require you to ask for a fire ring when you check in or even after you are set up. There is no charge for the fire ring. They do this because they don't want fire rings strewn out thru the sites being used as trash cans rather that there intended purpose. After you check out they come back with a small front end loader and pick up the ashes and any wood that is not fully burned as well as the fire ring itself leaving the site nice and tidy. Personally Lorraine and I don't use the fire rings but we have been in parks where the last camper didn't build a fire but did use the fire ring for their empty beer or soda cans and in many cases their paper plates, cups and just plane trash. You won't find this at Pine Hill.

The only problem is the truck noise from I-78 which runs just a few hundred yards from the campground BUT from my understanding we will be in the most distant area from the Interstate. The dogs maybe walked any where in the park however they would prefer that you walk in the perimeter of the park until the dogs has done it's job and even though you are in the perimeter they still require you to pick up after your dog.

Talk about using lighter fluid to lite a fire I have to agree is dumb but not nearly as dump as the guy who had his campfire just a foot away from his awning. By the time he realized what was happening he put his awning up but the fabric had already started to melt. His only luck was the awning hadn't started to burn. By the way, this did not occur at Pine Hill.

BTW- I have absolutely NO vested interest in Pine Hill RV. I just feel on a scale of 1 to 10 it rates a 7 or 8. If you wanted to see it at its worse, you should have been there when it was a KOA some years ago. These owners are doing a fantastic job and it was from my experience staying there that I recommended it to Steves as a good location for a NE rally.

See ya'll there next Wednesday.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I couldn't agree with you more Glenn. The park is very clean and they patrol it every couple of hours.

I was just "surprised" when the woman in the office said I needed to also have 50 amp to run the air conditioning. I know that isn't so.
I think the owners son or close friend who works here is right across the road in a motor home. No problem if something goes wrong.

Seeing we have the "puppy" who loves everyone and everything, it would have been nice if we were at the end of the row. Not all people I am finding out are dog people. He's learning though. Even at 5 this morning we met up with someone out there walking.

Still trying to find Walmart. Gotta have my Walmart fix. Found a bunch of small stores going toward Allentown on old 22. One was a candy shop. Going to stop there next week.

Since we live 1/4 mile from railroad tracks at home, the noise from the highway doesn't bother us. In fact, with all the trees I think that blocks some of the noise.

Behind us is a horse farm. Love watching them prance around and the kids over there riding.

I too would return here. The pull thru sites are great. Much easier to level. Some have had a time, but most of us have had little or no trouble.

Carol
Old 05-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Chuck & Carol

How are you guys getting on the internet?Do they have wifi at Pine Hill???Just wondering it I should bring my lap top.thanks.

John
Old 05-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I have the program microsoft office that I can use with my cell phone. Of course I have to wait until 9 o'clock or the week end in order not to use my minutes.

So far (and I keep trying) I can't see where they have wi-fi. They are so busy in the office I hate to bother them with that question. But I will tomorrow.

Carol

Just had a storm and it's much cooler and less humid.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
John, Bring your laptop. We have the Verizon Air Card plugged into a router and we put out a WiFi signal. If you are reasonably close you will be able to pick up the signal from your rig. If not close enough just bring the 'puter down and sit by my rig AND unlike some folks our router is on 24/7.
This invitation goes out to all MOCers attending the NE rally or any MOC rally that Lorraine and I attend. I should point out that the signal is Password protected but see me or Lorraine and we will gladly give you the Password.
We'll be there on Wednesday.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Glenn

Thanks so much for the invite to the internet.See you guys on Wednesday.

John
Old 05-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Hope they put you on the site right across from us. The people who were there pulled out this morning. Then I can use my laptop without my phone.

Seriously, people are begining to leave. Their vacation is over. This place was packed.

Carol

Old 05-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Carol,
One question. How's the construction on I-78? In particular I-78 towards I-81. I know last summer they were still working on 78 near Hamburg (Cabellas) and were preparing for more construction from Hamburg and heading west. If it's as I expect I just might take the Penna Turnpike (I-76) at Carlisle and run that over to US 222 and take that around Reading to Kutztown and come up Rte 737 to Krumsville. Using this route is longer but any construction on I-78 can be a nightmare.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We got on the turnpike just before Scranton. I remember some construction on the turnpike, but no traffic jams. There were big traffic jams below where we got off 78.
Took us 4 hours from Chittenango to here. Chuck did a steady 60 miles an hour.
Total $7.25 in tolls. Hated to do that. But what can you do?
Either pay tolls or use more diesel.

Carol

Old 05-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Glenn,
Rt 22/78 construction was still there at Hamburg when we came home from Florida and there was no sign that it was nearing completion. Bypass it if you can. It took me almost 1 hour to get through it. I understand that old Rt 22 runs parallel with 22 and 78 so that's another option.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:17 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Old 22 is a definite option east bound but I'd wanna be very careful dragging the Monty down Old 22 where it runs thru Hamburg. This section is narrow with parking on both sides of the street. On old 22, just prior to crossing the Schuylkill River on the west side of Hamburg you can make a left to route 61. This left will take you under 78 and past Boat and RV and the Cracker Barrel. You can than jump back on 78 east.
As I said previously, We are seriosly considering jumping on the PA turnpike in Carlisle. Yeah it's a toll road but it ain't normally a construction nightmare.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #16
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
The park is almost deserted. Even some of the Montana people have left. Probably will be back.
So far, Frosty, The Coachpotatoes, Fmsunco plus us are here. Some of us are still trying to find Walmart.
Weather perfect after terrible thunderstorms last evening

Carol
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #17
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
We will be in tomorrow PM. Keep the good weather and If you haven't found the Walmart I'll find it with my Garmin. I know I will be heading to Cabala's too.

Arthur and Margaret will be arriving tomorrow too.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
www.walmart.com and put in your zipcode. It will list all stores within some distance and is complete with addresses, phone numbers, and maps. I remember there are a couple of walmarts within reasonable distance but forgot just where.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #19
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I was going to complain that I was jealous as we will not be arriving until Thursday but then I remembered we just spent the weekend boondocking on the property of one of the members of the local FCRV club. 9 1/2 acres on the Nasmond river. It was big enough the they held the eastern Regional campout on the site. It was our first experience with boondocking and we survived. Got alot of stuff done on the unit as well including:
- fixed the new converter so it actually powered something other than itself, and installed the intelicharger IQ4 module.
- Installed my rear plugitright stablizers
- washed the unit
- installed additional screws in the underbelly where the old world craftsmen missed the supports or spaced the screws too far apart
- trimmed a part of the aluminum underneath where it was rubbing up against the gas line.
- resecured the door hardware on the under the sink cabinet.
- installed a missing screw on the water pump and tightened the others.
- removed and remounted the LP gas regulator to allow for better gas flow. Original position allowed hose to be pinched behind the tank and restricted gas flow to the point the heater wouldn't stay lit. (not a problem this weekend but nice to have fixed).
etc.

See you all in 3 1/2 days!

Bill and LIsa
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 AM   #20
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We'll be there tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote