Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Tell me about your PC aircard

We are still trying to decide about whether we should invest in Direcway or if we should try a Verizon aircard (we're subscribers so our cost would be $59.99/month). Monthly cost is the same. The aircard is easier to take along. Direcway may be more reliable but harder to set up. Is it possible to put two computers (network) on the aircard?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Hi Judy, I can only speak about Verizon. We use a Verizon air card when we travel. One great benefit is if you are using a laptop you can search the internet while driving down the hi way at 60 mph. It does come in handy when you are trying to find places or phone numbers in strange towns or reading the moc while driving The reception is that of the phone maybe slightly better. Usually if you have a phone signal you will definitely get a signal on the air card. I wish I could say it has worked everywhere we have gone, there are a few places the signal just didn't come in. As far as networking two computers I dint think you can but, we haven't tried and that might be something to ask Verizon about.
Rick & Sharon
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
To everything that Gonfishin said above we can only say DITTO! We have had our Verison AirCard for over 2 years and love it. We use it in the TV while underway to look up campgrounds, Cracker Barrels, truck stops even Wal*Marts. Sure beats using a 2 year old campground directory or road atlas. Can't do that with a satellite dish. Will even work under trees.

BUT we haven't tried to network it nor have we tried to use it outside the USA both of which we will be looking into this summer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have not networked the card, but seems we did network the two laptops with the cellphone. Al is trying to remember, but the way I remember it

1.) It was of course, sorta slow.

2.) computers were HARD wired together, with CAT5 cable.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, we both use a different card to make sure we get on at all times. My Verizon is by far better than Bill's Cingular. But we have only been West of Wisconsin since we got it. I love it but if we didn't have a two year contract, we would look real hard into the Directway system that you can also set up the television to.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carol, that's fascinating that you could use your cellphone and a cable to hookup two 'puters. I asked the question on another forum and they replied that the cable is one way of doing it. And apparently you can use a router, also.

Our card will be with Verizon if we get one. Maybe then I can get your emails. The Direcway system is tempting, especially since we have only dialup at our stick house and could use it there.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

BUT we haven't tried to network it nor have we tried to use it outside the USA both of which we will be looking into this summer.
Is this link helpful in that regard? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...adaRoaming.jsp

We have a Canadian data service and it works just fine in the US, so I don't see why the reverse would not be true, but you do need to make sure that you have a plan that covers use in Canada, or you could get some high bills.

There is nothing wrong with the air card, but you can get the same level of service using the right cell phone connected by a cable to the computer. Saves having to buy two pieces of hardware. In either case you are connecting using the 1X digital CDMA technology. This is the technology used by Verizon and Sprint (and probably some others). In Canada this technology is available through Bell Mobility and some other carriers. There are competing technologies, but CDMA seems to have the edge for fast data transmission, especially in non-urban areas.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

The Direcway system is tempting, especially since we have only dialup at our stick house and could use it there.
The Aircard can also be used in your stick house as well.

The 3 biggest drawbacks with Direcway are...
#1- Trees, get under a lot of trees in a campground and your Direcway is useless. Oh sure if the dish is portable enough you may be able to find a whole thru the tree canopy but than again maybe not.
#2- Try using a satellite in your TV while traveling 65 MPH down the Interstate. We always have the 'puter hooked up and online whenever we are moving down the road. Quite often at rest stops we will carry the 'puter over to a picnic table and check emails or the MOC.
#3- Price
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:26 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I agree, Glenn, and that's why I'm thinking seriously about getting the Kyocera 650 aircard. There is a new router that accepts the aircard (instead of your laptop) and you end up with a wireless network. That way we both can get our compters on the 'net. The portability appeals to me.

John, I have used our cell phone as a modem but it limits me to after 9 PM which squelches my style. I also haven't been able to get my Dell Inspiron 6000 to accept this setup. I understand that there is a problem with the 6000 and I'm sure there is a fix out there somewhere. It doesn't recognize the phone and then it tells me that I don't have the right driver. Frustration! I also understand that Verizon is talking about cutting off this service because they want you to use the aircards. After the initial cost of the aircard and router, we'll pay only $40 per month extra because we can drop Earthlink and we're already Verizon phone customers. Sounds pretty good.

And I'd love the portability that allows us to be in the truck and looking for a campground or other info while we're driving. Looks like a good solution for us. Now to convince Glen.....

Here's a link to some great info about aircards.

http://booster-antenna.com/index.php...products_id=99
Old 04-06-2006, 03:18 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

John, I have used our cell phone as a modem but it limits me to after 9 PM which squelches my style. I also haven't been able to get my Dell Inspiron 6000 to accept this setup. I understand that there is a problem with the 6000 and I'm sure there is a fix out there somewhere. It doesn't recognize the phone and then it tells me that I don't have the right driver. Frustration! I also understand that Verizon is talking about cutting off this service because they want you to use the aircards. After the initial cost of the aircard and router, we'll pay only $40 per month extra because we can drop Earthlink and we're already Verizon phone customers. Sounds pretty good.
The router does sound interesting, and that may be the way to go if you want to network. On the phone though, if you have the right kind of phone, it works just like the aircard, I don't think the system knows the difference. It is not just using it as a modem, you attach through the USB port and it becomes, in effect, an aircard; but you can still talk on it, in fact you can do both at the same time. Our phone is a Samsung A-460 but it is a few years old now and probably obsolete.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:37 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
This is sorta related, sorta not. Note, I said we connected via a hard wire. One thing we need to be aware of, is that at parks where they are getting wifi, they look real hard on wireless stuff in our rigs messing with their wifi systems. Now, I don't understand this tech stuff all that well, but think I understand it enough to know:

1.) it is ok to hard wire 2 computers together and use one internet connection, like we used both computers hardwired together on cable modem system at Llano Grande, Mercedes, Texas.

2.) it is ok to use two laptops on wifi if the connections are free and open, OR, if they assign you TWO sign on codes. At BPV, they assigned us TWO codes to access. Each laptop had their own code. This meant, no need to hard wire together and no wireless router.

3.) If you have wireless routers and such, and if it messes up the signals for other campers, well, lets just say, it might get unpleasant. Have been told they will ask you to remove the wireless router from the works, OR ask you to remove yourself from the campground.

When we have gone wifi where we had to pay and only got one sign on code, we shared the laptop, did not hard wire, router or anything.

Isn't techi stuff fun???

Now, if we could get a good cellphone signal at the stick built, we could ditch the landline, ditch the direcway and go to a AirCard and use it everywhere. I could come out ahead and put some coin in my pocket! Oh the joys of living in the Irish Hills!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:46 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carol, our stick house is semi remote but we've started getting a better signal from Verizon so we can use the cell phone in the house. We've noticed new towers all around our area. And there is a boost antenna that increases your signal, small enough that you can stick it on the windshield and improve your signal while driving. When you buy this equipment, they give you 15 days to test it, so you might try it. You can always return it.

If there are problems with wireless connections in the parks, what do they do with all the Direcway signals, or don't they apply? I've seen a lot of Direcway systems set up in parks that have Wifi. Thanks for the interesting thoughts.

If we get EVDO, we will probably spend more time in state parks and COE campgrounds so we wouldn't have to worry about messing up other WIFI connections.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

Al says direcway and wifi two different systems, will not interfere.

We have a cell tower not 2 miles from the house, which IF ever activated would probably allow us to get rid of the land lines. I kid you now, this tower has been there for ooooooo, 5 years??? And, there is NOT one, NOT ONE, antenna on it. Someone is paying this farmer rent for the tower and they are not using it.

We hope to get home one time and find that some cellphone company will have erected a antenna and we will join the real world! HAHA