Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Highway 101 - CA, OR, WA

We are headed to Klamath, CA tomorrow to see the Redwoods National Park -it will rain for most of this week - UGH!!!!!

We'll be heading north from there though Oregon and Washington - I'd love to hear from all of you who have traveled highway 101 - impressions? cautions? things to see?

Thanks in advance.

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You are in for one beautiful trip.. We took that route in May 2006 all the way to the Rlwhit campground... You can get some ideas if you go way back in out blog to that date... It was awesome.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
You will remember this part of your trip for a long time. Do not rush and see it all.
We were there in 2003 and we plan to do it again.
I can not remember any thing to be cautious of, good road and beautiful sceanery.
Have fun!
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
You will enjoy the state parks of Oregon along 101. Depending on how far you want to go off the beaten path, in Charleston Oregon there is a great private campground on Cape Arago Highway. A couple of miles up Cape Arago Highway is a state park, Sunset Bay, and just beyond that is Shore Acres state park with the beautiful botanical gardens. It is worth the 12-mile drive from Highway 101 out of Coos Bay or North Bend. A few miles further down the highway is a great viewing area for sea lions, and the only place on the coast we ever saw a whale.
http://www.harborside.com/~oceanside/

Unfortunately, you will be hitting some rough weather this weekend. We are expecting 70's today here in southern oregon but predictions are for 40's as a high this weekend. It has been crazy this spring.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
If you belong to the ELKS they have some on the Coast in OR and WA, real reasonable. In Oregon get a State RV park book, there are too many to list. WE like Oceanside at Charleston, Winchester Bay, Florence Lincoln City and a must is Tillimmock, the cheese Factory and of course ICE CREAM, any of the State Parks. TOO many to list.
Take your time and enjoy. Windy weather can be fun at the coast as you see the ocean in action, just be careful when on the beaches. Roads are good and no reports of slides or closures. We are going to Lincoln City today for four days. Enjoy
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I wish I had seen your post sooner I would have loved to sit down with you as you passed right through our little town could have had breakfast or something and given you a heads up on some of the little things to see but thats ok you will have a great trip I'm sure maybe next time your in the area look me up that goes for all traveling our way we live right on 101 town of Ukiah where the grapes end and the Redwoods begin happy camping to you and all
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tim,

I wish I'd known you lived in Ukiah. Last summer on our way down 101 we pulled in and drove all over town pulling the Monty! Do you know how narrow some of your streets are?

We ended up parking in the parking lot of the Social Services office. There was a nice sandwich shop up on the main street. Actually made a nice place to stop and walk the dogs and have lunch. But would have been nice to have somebody tell us or show us where to go.

We'll keep that in mind our next trip up that direction. And if you ever need any help getting around in (or even avoiding) Bakersfield just drop us a line.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Mary & Dennis Anytime your up this way I would enjoy giving you the tour and yes we have a few not so friendly streets but that kinda why we like it here small city charm we have several winerys to look at and the Redwoods aren't to far off and the coast is close too all good for us any time any of you head this way just let me know and I'll see about meeting up and doing a tour see you soon happy trails
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
If you are at all close to Trinidad at dinner time there is an awesome restaurant called Larapins that I highly recommend.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks to all of you - great information.

We are LOVING this area. We arrived in Klamath on Thursday for one week. This is a beautiful area.

When we leave here we head through Oregon and Washington on our way to Alaska.

More information is appreciated.

Thanks to all!

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We travelled the coast route last fall and if you want to read our blog, it starts in Portland, then Long Beach,WA, then on down the coast. We would do it again. Our blog is at http://loganslodge.blogspot.com . There were some storms, which we wouldn't tow in, but the ocean is glorious with the huge breakers coming in. Try to see the Devil's Punch Bowl at high tide as it is much more impressive then. Be prepared for wind and getting wet. I carried gloves in my pocket and a scarf. Have fun...
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
101 is a great drive. I lived for a year or two in Willits, CA, on 101. I was a toddler then. Just south of Willits is an Rv park named Golden Rule Rv Park. This park is on Ridgewood Ranch, the ranch that Seabiscuit retired to. Seabiscuit is buried there in an unknown location. You can walk around the ranch buildings and still see the logo on some of the buildings and shutters. We were there maybe in 2004. They were just beginning to refurbish the ranch buildings and were planning to give tours. I don't know if they ever finished that. I don't know how much interest this would be for you or others but it was special to me.

This was of particular interest to me as my Dad emailed me a picture taken while we lived there. This picture was of the sign announcing the ranch and Seabiscuit. 101 has been rerouted. The rv park is on the old 101. But I finally found that sign, face down.

This is the picture Dad sent me

And the one I found

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Hey! You guys are right behind us, so to speak. We just traveled the same route you're taking and are now in Astoria, OR. The drive is beautiful. You are going to love it. We, too, are on our way to Alaska. Maybe we'll be able to meet up along the way.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote