Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Hwy 2 from ND to Glacier NP

Looking for information on how the drive along Hwy 2 from ND going to Glacier NP in the beginning of Sept. I have a route planned taking I-94 but I was wondering if Hwy 2 was an ok and more direct route across.

Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
Looking for information on how the drive along Hwy 2 from ND going to Glacier NP in the beginning of Sept. I have a route planned taking I-94 but I was wondering if Hwy 2 was an ok and more direct route across.
Sorry to say this information that you gave is not quite enough. If you are talking about Glacier Nat. Park in the Flathead Nat. Park area and you are talking about Hwy 2 Columbia Falls, MT you are talking a very steep winding road.

Been up in that area in fact I grew up there. So I like to help but need more information

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
We want to get up near Lake Macdonald.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
I would like to find a nice easy to get to campground in the area to serve as a base camp for visiting Glacier NP and Lake MacDonald.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you are taking about US 2 across Montana, we took it a few years ago and loved it. It’s wide open farming country big wheat fields, straight as an arrow with small towns. But don’t forget I’m a country boy and this is the type of place I like.
Do a Google earth search to see what it’s like. I try to avoid interstates. That’s the way to see America.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Apgar camp grounds will probably be the only place where you can get a good size (over 30 feet long) and I am not sure about that. When we stayed there 100 years ago I think if you have a 30 foot rv you were going to be tight. Forget about Fish head camp ground. They are for small pop up trailer and tents. No hook ups. Hwy 2 is the only highway to get up there. But call to make sure what your taking camping is going to fit in the camp ground. If you want to leave the trailer home there are 2 very nice lodges up there. Hope you like to fish because the fishing is great up there.

Good luck,

Charlie
Old 04-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #7
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Just looked up Apgar Camp grounds and saw some pictures of some large motor homes and 5ers. You should be good getting in there and getting around the camp grounds. Hope you can back up your rig with no problems. Saw no pull thru sites. So if folks are getting in there with big stuff you know they are getting up there with no problems. so Hwy 2 should be good.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #8
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Thanks for the info on Apgar CG but we don’t do full boondocking. We are looking for a campground that at least has electric.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
There’s some campgrounds outside of west glacier/ apgar area. Columbia falls and hungry horse. Apgar may be closed depending on when your getting there. Your going at a beautiful time of the year up there.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Always seems like there's a few stretches that has road construction. Last summer we went to Glacier & there was a stretch in a small town that was barely passable towing our 5th wheel.
Needless to say the tribe's top priority isn't maintenance of the construction zone.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
I am not familiar with the Montana (and farther west) section of US-2, but from the Mackinac bridge to Williston, ND it's a great highway to travel with a 5th wheel.
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If driving 2 across Montana, be sure to stop in Havre. They have a sort of park/museum of the underground stores from around 1900. At one time there was a 24 block square of stores under the buildings and sidewalks. I forget details, but I think it was originally because of cold weather, and later because the downtown burned down, but the basements were okay. don't quote these numbers, but around 1890 or so there were 700 men and about 40-50 women. It is called Havre because it is halfway between Chicago (or Minneapolis) and Seattle (I think). Was and is still a main RR yard. We counted 13 sets of tracks in downtown where there is a bridge over them.
The underground has tours and well worth it. Strange stuff - a butcher shop next to a lawyers office next to a 'cat house'. Not a lot of privacy there - 24 beds with only a curtain between them!!!!!!!
Another site to see is the Historic Battlefield of the Nez Pierce. It is south of Chinook (close to Havre with a nice RV Park) about 15-20 miles. The Nez Pierce have a very interesting story on their last migration that ended 40 miles short of Canada and freedom.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #13
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
At one time Highway #2 was known as the most dangerous highway in the USA. We have driven it a few times and were amazed at the number of crosses along the way depicting deaths occurred there. It is indeed straight, etc. which probably has led to drivers becoming drowsy or less attentive. In our 15 years we made many trips West and, other than once or twice. we chose the Interstate.

So, enjoy your trip but be careful -
Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #14
jtcurbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25900
Sdexte, My wife and I went to Glacier area from Bismarck. ND on Hwy 2, called the upper route. It was in June though. The route was a very good way to go. We stayed in Kalispell, Montana for about two months. We have a 37ft Montana High Country with 4 slide outs, we are full timers. There are a couple of RV parks in Kalispell that had plenty of room for us. It was about 30 minutes to Glacier Nat Park entrance. We traveled all over North west Montana sight seeing. We left Kalispell in the first week in August. The day after we left it snowed there. I don't think it was a lot of snow, but I would think it would be snow in Sept. but still passable. This is one our favorite places in the United States. Glacier is beautiful, especially Logans Pass. It is a narrow road but we drove it in a Dodge 3500 4x4 dually truck. But route 2 was a very good road and route to take.
jtcurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury View Post
At one time Highway #2 was known as the most dangerous highway in the USA. We have driven it a few times and were amazed at the number of crosses along the way depicting deaths occurred there. It is indeed straight, etc. which probably has led to drivers becoming drowsy or less attentive. In our 15 years we made many trips West and, other than once or twice. we chose the Interstate.

So, enjoy your trip but be careful -
About 10 year ago Mt did not have a speed limit, well maybe 15 time flys.
and years ago the grain truckers drove till they fell asleep. Many did not stop till they were in the ditch. And of course kids speeding and others drinking while driving. Thus all the crosses. It is not the roads fault.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Hiway2

Howdy, glad to hear some are out and traveling. We elected to ride out this virus from home. But regarding hiway 2. You can travel hiway 2 from Evert Washington to the Great Lakes, then pick it up again in New York State and travel to the east coast. We did most of it 3 yrs ago. There are Rv parks on the east and west entrance to Glacier Park that accommodates 30’ Rv. It was a wonderful hiway to drive and look at a lot of how America used to be. One of the few things in life I have done that I want to do again. Just drive a little slower, stop more often and smell the roses. We even saw a bull moose somewhere in Montana with his head down in an hay field. Hope you will enjoy your trip.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #17
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
About 10 year ago Mt did not have a speed limit, well maybe 15 time flys.
and years ago the grain truckers drove till they fell asleep. Many did not stop till they were in the ditch. And of course kids speeding and others drinking while driving. Thus all the crosses. It is not the roads fault.
Boy do I remember those days. They were fun and you never heard about anyone getting hurt or killed out on the highway's. I guess that gone for good also.

Charlie
Old 05-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #18
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I have towed on US 2 from Minot, ND to Columbia Falls, MT several times. It is a good road. I'd pay close attention to weather forecasts in September in case there is an early snow.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #19
Whitty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22291
Browning to whitefish

We travel that road all the time towing our 35’ and it is a great road.
Whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #20
craigb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14426
Hungry Horse

We stayed at a very nice park in Hungry Horse. Not to far from the west entrance. It's a great location.
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote