Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #61
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdownthehighway View Post
This is starting to remind of what came first the chicken or the egg? This debate will go on for years to come and has lasted for years, and at the of the day, there is on correct answer. Just as long as you can tow it safely and legally, whether it's a SRW or DRW.
If you have a 1 ton that has a payload of #4000 and can tow a #16k trailer and is a SRW, then go for it, if you have a 1 ton DRW that has the same specs, then that's your call. Just be legal and safe not matter what one decides to haul with
There really is no debate.. If any of the weights are in excess of the tow vehicles rating with a srw, a Drw is required.
Personaly, if one is looking at a new 5th wheel, the best solution is to weigh before the purchase.. I have made the srw mistake with our 15 ram megacab. We bought a 17 3500. Aisin, auto level, 4:10.. .safe travels..

Old 06-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #62
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[QUOTE=mtlakejim;1101261]At this point,based on the SRW fans comments I wonder why they make duallies at all and why every single hot shot and professional 5th wheel delivery driver has one. OBVIOUSLY the pros have no idea what they are doing!! And don’t say it is for extra payload. Some of those guys are hauling well under SRW weight limits[/QUOTE

Most of the transport companies require that you have a dually so you can deliver a variety of Rv's.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #63
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I don't think you can accurately assume there "would have been a wreck." In my many years of towing all sizes, I've had plenty of blowouts on rear wheels, and never a wreck. Never even close to a wreck.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #64
Whitewolf
Established Member

M.O.C. #14498
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
DRW ~~ one and done, never again. Very happy with SRW. Whatever makes you comfy!
Key part of John’s post is ‘What ever makes you comfy.’
I’m a SRW guy and have no reason whatsoever AT THIS TIME to go to DRW.
So. There’s no ONE reason to pick one over the other.
Don’t try to convince one side to switch.
We each have a reason for what we drive. 😊
Old 06-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #65
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
[QUOTE=richfaa;1101277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
At this point,based on the SRW fans comments I wonder why they make duallies at all and why every single hot shot and professional 5th wheel delivery driver has one. OBVIOUSLY the pros have no idea what they are doing!! And don’t say it is for extra payload. Some of those guys are hauling well under SRW weight limits[/QUOTE

Most of the transport companies require that you have a dually so you can deliver a variety of Rv's.
And that makes my point. If your advising someone new who, as things normally go, will be upgrading, might as well recommend the dually so they are ready for the next one.

But from what I have heard most folks hauling factory to dealer are independent drivers and not subject too a transport companies demands.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 06-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #66
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
I don't think you can accurately assume there "would have been a wreck." In my many years of towing all sizes, I've had plenty of blowouts on rear wheels, and never a wreck. Never even close to a wreck.
I agree that wrecks with rear wheel blowouts are not that common (unlike front wheel blowouts). But even so you will have more control to get stopped if there is still one good tire. And almost as important, you will more than likely be able to continue at a reduced speed to a safe location and probably to a service center (avoiding a possible dangerous tire change and or expensive road service). Same for the much more common tire going flat but not blowing out. From that perspective a dually does in fact have an significant advantage. Particularly for folks who are unable to change their own tire or would have difficulty doing so.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #67
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
once saw a rig with all four (yes 4) drives on one side ripped apart.
he blew one cap, it grabbed the fancy chrome fender brought it into the companion tire. and that one brought it over to rip both front drivers apart.

so anything can and will happen.
i would like to go drw. for load ratings. not worried about a blowout.
run qualty tires, and not damage them, can easily go to wear-out on the treads.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #68
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Key part of John’s post is ‘What ever makes you comfy.’
I’m a SRW guy and have no reason whatsoever AT THIS TIME to go to DRW.
So. There’s no ONE reason to pick one over the other.
Don’t try to convince one side to switch.
We each have a reason for what we drive. 😊
If someone wonts to pull their 42 foot DRV with a F150 2.7 Ecoboost. That’s your business, go for it it’s none of my business.
Lynwood
Old 06-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #69
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am surprised particularity with this group that specifications and safety mean so little to so many.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #70
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
I know nothing about Fords but our '16 3500 CTD w Asian and 3.73 rear end pulls a 3100 RL, so it sounds like we are somewhat comparable. Cummins recommends that its commercial engines be operated in the 2100-2400 rpm range at full load. Full load is 80,000 lbs and the gearing is considerably higher, meaning speed is somewhat lower.
The optimum rpm for a 6.7 Cummins in the 3500 is 1600-1900. In 6th gear at 63 mph, it turns at 1650 rpm. At 65, its turns 1750. 6th gear is overdrive and there are a few occasions when I need to lock overdrive out, which means in 5th gear, I am turning closer to 1900 rpm at 63 mph. In well over 200,000 miles towing with two different CTD trucks, I know that fuel mileage with these trucks starts dropping above 65 mph. Also, I know that wind resistance doubles when you speed up from 60 to 70 mph. Notice I said WITH THESE TRUCKS. I also said I know nothing about Fords, so your experience is different from mine. In my opinion and experience, speeds above 65 mph put unnecessary load and strain on the equipment. More often than not when we are passed by another fiver, it is a shiny new truck and trailer with many times, the temporary tag still on one or both. That is how I know its a newby; not just because they are driving like they stole it.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #71
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
At this point,based on the SRW fans comments I wonder why they make duallies at all and why every single hot shot and professional 5th wheel delivery driver has one. OBVIOUSLY the pros have no idea what they are doing!! And don’t say it is for extra payload. Some of those guys are hauling well under SRW weight limits
I WILL say it is for the payload! They may haul a lite TT today and a heavy 5er tomorrow. Besides, NOT ALL have a dually, just the majority. Once you actually have a drw make up your mind if it makes sense unless it is needed for the payload. Mine was named PIA for good reason, one and done.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #72
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[QUOTE=mtlakejim;1101325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post

And that makes my point. If your advising someone new who, as things normally go, will be upgrading, might as well recommend the dually so they are ready for the next one.

But from what I have heard most folks hauling factory to dealer are independent drivers and not subject too a transport companies demands.
Transport drivers transport according to the companies rules. If they say you must have a dually to work for us then that is it. That requiremnet may not apply to all transport companies. We
Old 06-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #73
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I am surprised particularity with this group that specifications and safety mean so little to so many.
Find one damn spec or safety issue with my rig! The comments by some indicate even in a drw it is a loose nut behind the wheel that causes problems.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #74
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
with a SRW nothing would have been wedged in there plus I can change my tire on the next off ramp. Not a good argument for a DRW. My car isn't a DRW.
The argument for the dually is not ease of tire replacement.... it's the potential sudden loss of control the exists with a loaded down SRW. Imagine the circumstance of being downhill on a curve when the blowout occurs. Better a moderately expensive repair than a disastrous jack knife or roll over. JMHO.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #75
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Buy good tires and take care of them and paranoia disappears.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #76
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Fully agree. Expounding on the virtues of added stability of a DRW is fine. But to imply that anyone towing with a SRW and having a blowout is doomed to an accident is going too far unless they can show statistics to back that up.
Not doomed, just more likely in the event it occurs. It's the situation you don't expect that causes the accident, DRW mitigates the risk. Many with SRW will never have an issue but could be putting themselves at unnecessary risk, especially towing at or beyond what the axles and/or tires are rated for. DRW stops are more surefooted than SRW for given situation. (though adding disc brakes to the trailer will certainly help) Both can pull... on that there is no argument. Also, many SRW owners put air bags believing it increases towing capability. Air Bags do not raise axle ratings, they simply ease the load shock forces when the axles go over rough surfaces. The axles have not changed with addition of airbags. A lot depends on the truck and what you are towing with it. A fully loaded 3931 Monty(which the OP is interested in) for FT use... DRW is the way to go. A lightly loaded one maybe SRW, maybe not. A choice. Mine would be DRW. FWIW

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #77
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ok its got almost ugly in here. NOTHING seems to be more of a division point than the debate between SRW and DRW.

For my part just let me say that I PERSONALLY felt a MAJOR difference between my former SRW and my new DRW when I hooked up to my former lighter/shorter 5er. I felt considerably safer and more in control in the DRW even though the SRW was more than capable with that unit based on tow specs. That is my PERSONAL experience and that is what I am basing most of my comments on. I certainly don't drive that wide hipped DRW for the fun of it. If your personal experience varies from mine we can agree to disagree on this topic.

But you can bet if I am discussing this topic with someone new to towing a 5er, I'm going to suggest the DRW and give them the reasons why so they can make an informed CHOICE.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #78
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just happen to be one that is a believer in adhering to Safety and specifications in all areas particularity in Rv'ing . We are pulling a Truck and Rv that weighs in at around 23,000lbs combined and safety is our first priority and to us that means staying within Specs. Everyone should a least know and understand the specs of their equipment and how to calculate the various parameters. There is not much we can do about bad drivers and there are plenty among Rv'ers as evidenced by the campers careening down the road on OEM tires not rated for that speed. Complying with specs is entirely our power bad drivers are not.

We do have a responsibility to new Rv'ers and those that ask questions about "what truck should we buy" At least I feel we do.Many have never heard of Carry capacity and pin weight and we know that as a fact in our experience in selling Rv's.If you did the numbers and the specs are good you have done the homework and you are good.

What you do with those numbers is entirely up to the individual.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #79
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There has been a lot of discussion here about blowouts. I’m wondering how much chance there is of actually having one pulling a camper. I’ve pulled campers for over 50,000 miles with out a blowout or even a flat. So I’m wondering how many miles our members without and with having a blowout. So if you don’t mind post how many miles you have pulled a camper and if you had a blowout or a flat.
Lynwood
Old 06-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #80
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
At this point,based on the SRW fans comments I wonder why they make duallies at all and why every single hot shot and professional 5th wheel delivery driver has one. OBVIOUSLY the pros have no idea what they are doing!! And don’t say it is for extra payload. Some of those guys are hauling well under SRW weight limits

The above guys/gals you reference are governed by Federal and State D.O.T Laws,unlike the PRIVATE owners of pickup/camper combos!!! They also register the vehicles to carry a certain weight capacity and must also go thru the open scale houses where D.O.T often does vehicle inspections and write violations for infractions, mainly safety issues like bad tires and brakes, lights inoperable etc. I have seen VERY VERY few ever cited for weight violations in the "Hot Shot or Driveaway" industry.
Closed Thread