Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #21
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
If all you want to run besides a coffee maker is a TV, I'd get the percolator style coffee maker, and a cheap 150 to 300 watt inverter.

Some electronics don't like modified sine wave power of a cheap inverter, but this 300 watt pure sine wave inverter is under $50. It has good reviews on Amazon. Just be aware that you should probably keep the load under 150 watts for most 12 volt wiring. Only go over that if you run heavier wire for it.
I read several of the negative reviews, and they seem to be from people that tried to exceed 150 watt, 15 amp loads. "It kept blowing fuses"

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300Wat...dp/B07KQ4Q2L5/

JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #22
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I installed 270AH lithium batteries (also left my FLA battery in place as a back up, have a 3 way switch installed). Installed a 2000w pure sine wave inverter. Tested TV, satellite, Nintendo etc. (Light loads, only a few amps).
Then tested furnace 11A. Passed. Then the big test, 1500W microwave. It pulled 164A and the OEM installed 4 gauge battery cable reached 134° in 5 minutes. I stopped the test.
If you plan on running high wattage appliances, you MUST install at least 0 gauge welders cables. Maybe 0/0 cables depending on your load. Welders cables are way more flexible to work with.
Do your homework on this. Safety first.
You also need to install a battery monitor system.
I have a Victron BMV-712. I can monitor my batteries from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200517-171642.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	6429  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #23
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I installed 270AH lithium batteries (also left my FLA battery in place as a back up, have a 3 way switch installed). Installed a 2000w pure sine wave inverter. Tested TV, satellite, Nintendo etc. (Light loads, only a few amps).
Then tested furnace 11A. Passed. Then the big test, 1500W microwave. It pulled 164A and the OEM installed 4 gauge battery cable reached 134° in 5 minutes. I stopped the test.
If you plan on running high wattage appliances, you MUST install at least 0 gauge welders cables. Maybe 0/0 cables depending on your load. Welders cables are way more flexible to work with.
Do your homework on this. Safety first.
You also need to install a battery monitor system.
I have a Victron BMV-712. I can monitor my batteries from my phone.
If you start to power everything including high wattage appliances, you are better off switching to a 24 volt battery bank. There's less power loss, the wires don't have to be as big, etc.., but then you need to adapt the output from your battery bank to 12 volts so you can run lights, alarms, monitors, etc..
That wasn't an option for me do to the amount of rewiring required and how difficult it would be.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote