Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2016, 01:26 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sad Montana day!

Here's another reason to have something on your hitch to catch a mistake:http://www.wlox.com/story/30993122/3...-in-hancock-co
As you can see from the parts in one of the pictures it was a new Monty. Butch's looks like a cheap fix compared to that. Luckily no one was hurt other than the insurance company.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Ouch! Bad RV day for sure.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
OMG, not much salvage there but no one was hurt and that is what counts.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
I can't imagine being in that situation. This provides me with two good reminders. Always use my checklist when hitching up, without distraction, and never take rail crossings for granted. As a school superintendent, I end up driving a school bus frequently . The whole "stop, look, listen" seemed redundant to me, after all, that's why they put lights and gates at crossings, right? Then one day I stopped at a highway crossing with an empty bus, did the usual, and just as I started across there was a freight train moving about 70 mph that was just beyond the light activation. I crossed the tracks and watched the train in my rear view mirror, so thankful I did not have kids on that bus. From then on, I ALWAYS assume a train is coming.
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I droped my 2010 5er and the Blue Ox caught it. Got in a hurry trying to move it out of the way while having a building built to cover it. Had the contractor, neighbors, and wife all arround and talking while I was trying to hookup. I got distracted and forgot a couple steps. It can happen to the best of us. When I got the new truck and hitch the first thing I bought was a new Blue Ox bed saver. I am sorry to hear Blue Ok no longer makes the bed saver. A well design passive safety system.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:41 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Here trains have up to 200 coal cars that weigh over 200,000 each. 12000 pound camper verses 40,000,000 pound train. And the winner is.
If you like old steam engines our 611 will be running excursions this summer. The 611 J class is the fastest steam passenger train ever built. It is able to sustain 110 MPH and was built here in the Roanoke Va shops.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:58 AM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I think it boils down to what some already stated. Know what you are doing, don't be distracted, have a check and confirmation that everything is done correct. I always confirm visually that the jaws are locked in place and also with a chock and trailer brake test with the truck in gear. Things can happen we just want it to be a mechanical failure not a memory failure.

Tom Marty
Old 01-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #8
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Lynwood, where will the 611 be running? I would love to experience that.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We are in S. MS. and that story was in the local paper. The paper said it was a 2016 model.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]Originally posted by Dam Worker

I think it boils down to what some already stated. Know what you are doing, don't be distracted, have a check and confirmation that everything is done correct. I always confirm visually that the jaws are locked in place and also with a chock and trailer brake test with the truck in gear. Things can happen we just want it to be a mechanical failure not a memory failure.

Tom Marty

It will still happen no matter what. Look up the definition for "Accident"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Rich, I agree about accidents but you can also do a lot to be on the correct side of the accident statistics by following simple procedures as mentioned. Years ago my dad saw a big rig diesel hauling hay with a set of doubles that had the drop style frame. Out in the country he tried going over some RR tracks and basicly got the trailer hung up on the tracks. Needless to say were tring to get that trailer unstuck before a train came through. So even if you are hitched correctly things can and do happen.

Safe travels and many good merories to you.

Tom Marty
Old 01-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Paul do a search for: fireup611.org
That should give you every thing you need except a place to stay and if you bring your camper I will furnish a place to put it on our farm.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

Rich, I agree about accidents but you can also do a lot to be on the correct side of the accident statistics by following simple procedures as mentioned. Years ago my dad saw a big rig diesel hauling hay with a set of doubles that had the drop style frame. Out in the country he tried going over some RR tracks and basicly got the trailer hung up on the tracks. Needless to say were tring to get that trailer unstuck before a train came through. So even if you are hitched correctly things can and do happen.

Safe travels and many good merories to you.

Tom Marty
I agree but in spite of all that accident's will happen "An accident is an undesirable incidental and unplanned event that could have been prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence. Most scientists who study unintentional injury avoid using the term "accident" and focus on factors that increase risk of severe injury and that reduce injury incidence and severity '
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you change the word from accidents to mistakes most of us would have to admit we've made one or two.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
I lived in Hondo Tx for a few years. They had elevated tracks. More than once drop bed trailers got stuck on the tracks and that was even with warning signs. I think we lost 2 trailers in three years. Lucky no one was injured.
Dennis
Justme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:45 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I think they were leaving Buccaneer State Park in Waveland, MS. And I think I have been over that crossing with an RV (I think it was our Montana).

I know I am going to stay at Buccanner next month and I also know that I am not going over that crossing! Once was enough, and I was lucky.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Paul do a search for: fireup611.org
That should give you every thing you need except a place to stay and if you bring your camper I will furnish a place to put it on our farm.
Lynwood
Thank you for the offer Lynwood. Checked out the Facebook page. Very cool engine! Trying to see if it will fit in our planned schedule.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #18
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I like DQDick's comment, we have all made a few.

The checklist is the way to go. As a pilot, we have checklists for everything. May not have to worry about trains or dragging the power cord, but we have other possibilities. My DW made a checklist for the SOB 5er we had before and now have one for the Monty (and it has been updated several times). It is posted in the control center. Even with the checklist, I have messed up a couple times, fortunately, never with the hook-up!

Safe travels folks!

Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #19
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Safety First! I say that before I get out off the Truck to unhook. Chock those wheels, Chock those wheels, Chock those wheels, you can not go wrong by chocking those wheels. Wheels don't move, RV won't either. I also Painted my hitch claws White so I don't need a light to see. Slow and easy. Be Blessed
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 AM   #20
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
You can't see how elevated the tracks are at that crossing, but I know I've gone over one that had a higher 'bump' in southern VA, just outside a CG. The entrance road wasn't bad and I didn't expect to see the mountain crossing on the way out! While the one + lane wide CG exit road was straight going over the tracks, there was a stop sign at a 4 lane divided road about 40' past the tracks. I went over the tracks at a crawl and there still was lots of not nice noises coming from the hitch. My front legs just touched the rails, and the spare may have as well, but everything got over OK - thank God there was next to no traffic on the highway and we didn't have to do more than a California stop at the sign! Needless to say, we aren't visiting that place again.