Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Ice Maker winterization

Unable to find the thread recently discussing winterization that mentioned using antifreeze in the ice maker. I responded saying the "manual" said not to use in residential frig. Now, went and found the "general" manual that came with the camper. This is the "white" Keystone RV Company owners manual". On page 42, second paragraph, discussing the res. frig it states "the ice maker line should not be winterized with anitfreeze". Above that statement in first paragraph tells how to drain lines to the ice maker.
This is how the dealer explained winterizing the frig before we took the camper home. The dealer added to the manual stating unhook the ice maker water line under the oven and with ice maker on allow it to cycle so water will empty out.
Each time this is done some water comes out. I am trying to ask your opinions on this and not start an argument! Have gone thru two winters following manual and dealers advice with temps in single digits during both and no problem. However, comments on this forum always causes me to worry this time of year. Thinking winterization is complete until these threads are read!?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
I can only speak of how my camper came from FACTORY,with pink antifreeze in the ice maker and supply line too it. We ordered ours early Jan.2018 it was built Jan.23,2018 and delivered to selling dealer Feb.12,2018. We seen it the day of arrival and done walk thru and noted any issues at that time. Dealer had all issues corrected when we picked it up Feb.17,2018.

I was told by dealer to winterize it the same way it came from factory, so I will do such this Sunday,before I leave campground to bring it home. IF any issues with this, i will post such in March or so when I de-winterize.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
This is our first year with a RV. My wife and I lived aboard a vessel for 20 years, and while living in New England waters I would buy the cheapest vodka and pour it into the freshwater tank if we had to winterize it. Run that through the lines. If you don't get it all out in the spring, so what!!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
ChadZ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25259
Ice Maker Winterization

Not 100 percent sure on ice maker winterization either. Our new Montana has a drain line directly underneath the RV. We did not get a good answer on our questions to Keystone about the ice maker. There is a sticker on the ice maker referring to the owners manual for winterization. The sticker also refers to the drain line. The owners manual is not informative at all. No information on ice maker winterization. Keystone told us to contact our dealer. The dealer told us to turn the winterization valve on and leave the antifreeze suction line in the bottle overnight with the demand pump on. As long as the ice maker valve under the kitchen island is open and the ice maker is on, the demand pump will fill the ice maker with antifreeze. I believe this will work. The problem we have is the check valve on the winterization connection does not allow the demand pump to stay primed., so we could not leave the pump on unattended. We simply drained the ice maker line under the RV and are hoping for the best. If the ice maker is ruined, I will remove it. Very disappointed in the winterization system on this RV. Next year we will know.
ChadZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
Ours had pink stuff from the factory, the dealer flushed the system for us when we picked it up. Last winter we ran pink through it and it was fine in spring so we did the same this time as well. I sat on the floor and kept pressing the test button until pink came out into the tray, it took about 5 minutes.
Russ&Reen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
ChadZ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25259
Glad to hear you guys were able to winterize the ice maker and it worked. We do not have a test button on ours. It’s a Samsung residential fridge. I guess we will know in the spring. Happy Travels.
Carrie and Chad
Old 11-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
Ours is the Samsung residential as well. It does have a test, but it's rather hard to find. I can take a picture next time I am out there if you would like.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
ChadZ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25259
We would really appreciate that. Sure would help next year with winterization.
Carrie and Chad
Old 11-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
Sorry for the delay, we're winterized and closed up for the season. Here's what it looks like from the underside of the ice maker:
Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If you are parked where you have reliable power, put a couple of drop lights next to it with 60 watt old style bulbs.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
ChadZ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25259
Thank you for the information and photo Russ and Reen. Glad to hear your all winterized. Have a great winter. We will give this a try.
Carrie and Chad
Old 11-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
ChadZ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25259
Thank You.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #13
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
I do not use the antifreeze in the ice maker. I do drain the line from the outside, under the slide. I undo the line, usually before we leave the campground, and by the time we get home all the smooth roads have bounced all the excess water out of the line.
If you use the pink antifreeze you have to purge the line when you hook up again. Take 8 or 10 cycles to get all the antifreeze out.
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #14
RBGALL
Established Member

M.O.C. #27048
Just thinking about ice maker line. If you plan to use RV in winter you will need to drain ice maker line. You can heat under belly but ice maker line is exposed to cold under slide in my 3811MS.
RBGALL is offline   Reply With Quote