Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
No Brakes on one Wheel

Decided to do bearing maintenance a little early since we are planning a long trip next month through December. Everything looked good on the first 3 wheels and I just repacked bearings and replaced seals. On the last wheel, when I pulled the hub, I found that the brake magnet was hanging loose and had been rubbing the inside of the hub, and the wires to the magnet were broken and worn. This is a brand new unit I purchased last October. I'm waiting on a replacement brake assembly now, $116 on eTrailer. I hope Keystone will cover the parts under warranty. I'm not anywhere where I could take it to a dealer for the repairs, so I'm doing the work myself.
Word of warning, CHECK YOUR BRAKES regularly. I didn't notice this driving as the other 3 wheels were working. I'm going to guess this has probably been broken since I got the 5er as the wires were pulled apart and rubbed down to bare copper and the magnet assembly was flopping around loose inside the hub. I think maybe a factory defect?
Based on the photos, does it look like the hub can be/needs to be turned or do I need to replace it as well? I've cleaned it up with some emory cloth and it looks much better now. Thanks for any opinions/assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200724_181723.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	6881   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200724_181731.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	6882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200724_181737.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	6883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200724_181759.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	6884   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200724_181835.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	6885  

RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
I would not turn the hub unless there is some serious burrs left after the emory cloth. When you return to Jax in December and the heat has subsided ( as much as it does in Jax ), buy yourself a disc brake upgrade kit and install. It will be the best Christmas gift you ever bought yourself.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks GA. It doesn't look bad now. I'm not sure I'm up to the task for doing disc brakes. I have been considering having that and the IS done soon.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Thanks GA. It doesn't look bad now. I'm not sure I'm up to the task for doing disc brakes. I have been considering having that and the IS done soon.
If you can pack bearings than you can do the disc brake upgrade. It’s not hard.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedmichigan View Post
My thoughts exactly. Besides you have control of quality and not some dude that has X amount of time to bang it out.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedmichigan View Post
My feelings exactly. Just be sure you safely support your Montana while working on it!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The drum looks good, do not think it needs to be replaced.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:54 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks, AZ Traveler. I didn't think so, but wanted a second opinion.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I hope you call Montana before your ordered the part.

good luck on reimbursement.

If you want the IS system call NOW and make an appointment...they are usually months and months out. You can always cancel.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Don't waste your time calling Keystone or Montana, just call Dexter directly, as they will be the one actually handling any warranty claim, and they will be much more responsive than Montana. This is a perfect example of why pulling the drums and packing the bearings should really be referred to as a brake inspection and the bearings are just repacked because the drums were removed.
Prior to last year's Western Spring Rally, I did my annual brake inspection and bearing repack. Just like you, I found one brake assembly pretty well destroyed and had no indication of any problem with it prior to pulling the drum. The brake adjuster and some springs and other assorted hardware were totally ground up to dust. That was the tipping point for me to have the disk brake upgrade done at the rally last year, and now kick myself for not having done it much sooner because disk brakes are so much better than drums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	failed brake assembly.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	6892  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks, Rohrman. I'll be calling Dexter today. If they don't cover it, I guess I'll chalk it up to experience, but I would think they would be thankful to not have to pay for labor, just the part. They're getting off cheap. I charge $450.00 an hour at my real job. :-)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #12
CT Wanderer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19250
Quote:
Decided to do bearing maintenance a little early since we are planning a long trip next month through December. Everything looked good on the first 3 wheels and I just repacked bearings and replaced seals. On the last wheel, when I pulled the hub, I found that the brake magnet was hanging loose and had been rubbing the inside of the hub, and the wires to the magnet were broken and worn. This is a brand new unit I purchased last October. I'm waiting on a replacement brake assembly now, $116 on eTrailer. I hope Keystone will cover the parts under warranty. I'm not anywhere where I could take it to a dealer for the repairs, so I'm doing the work myself.
Word of warning, CHECK YOUR BRAKES regularly. I didn't notice this driving as the other 3 wheels were working. I'm going to guess this has probably been broken since I got the 5er as the wires were pulled apart and rubbed down to bare copper and the magnet assembly was flopping around loose inside the hub. I think maybe a factory defect?
Based on the photos, does it look like the hub can be/needs to be turned or do I need to replace it as well? I've cleaned it up with some emory cloth and it looks much better now. Thanks for any opinions/assistance.
The same thing happened to us when we purchased our Monty in 2016. That year we took a trip from CT out to SD and back and then brought camper in for some warranty repairs and a bearing repack. The dealer found one wheel just as you described. Of course they repaired under warranty.

I faithfully do my own bearing repacking/brake inspection yearly now.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:58 AM   #13
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Just a quick update...Thanks again, Rohrmann. I sent a warranty claim in to Dexter and have an email back that it is being reviewed. Dexter actually has a warranty claim form available on their website for download. So far the process has been quite easy. Incidentally, I was able to get the whole brake assembly for $116 from eTrailer. The same part was listed for $216 on Dexter's website.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #14
Dexter1
Established Member

M.O.C. #19413
Quote:
Just a quick update...Thanks again, Rohrmann. I sent a warranty claim in to Dexter and have an email back that it is being reviewed. Dexter actually has a warranty claim form available on their website for download. So far the process has been quite easy. Incidentally, I was able to get the whole brake assembly for $116 from eTrailer. The same part was listed for $216 on Dexter's website.
The reason that the price on the Dexter website is so high is that they do not want to compete with their distributors. The parts are offered direct more as a convenience and will never be the lowest cost alternative.
Dexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #15
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Easy test

An easy way to test the magnets is to get a compass. Either pull your breakaway switch or have somebody actuate the brakes manually.

Then put the compass close to each wheel. The needle will react very strongly if the magnets are working.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #16
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
An easy way to test the magnets is to get a compass. Either pull your breakaway switch or have somebody actuate the brakes manually.

Then put the compass close to each wheel. The needle will react very strongly if the magnets are working.
As a general rule when stopping for a leg stretch or refueling. When doing the walk around checking things visually. I feel the hubs and drums for excessive heat when inspecting the tires on the walk around a good habit to get into.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #17
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
True that. Excessive heat can be bearings, tire problems, a dragging shoe etc. A cold wheel would be the one(s) not working.

Don't be fooled by a wheel warmed up by hot exhaust though. I've found that the left front wheel of our towed runs 20-30F hotter that the other tires because that's where the DP exhaust is. Especially after a long grade.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #18
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
I had the exact same thing on my 2019 when I had my preseason bearing and wheel check done— less than eight days of short drives since new! Luckily, my repair guy only charged me 15$ for the new magnet and includdd the labor in the quoted price. If you are near Monument, Colorado, Tanglewood Trailers is the place for any wheel/brake work!
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #19
MJohnston
Established Member

M.O.C. #23142
Hello Buckand Teresa,
I live in Monument, CO and was planning to take my 2018 Montanna 3120RL to Turbo's RV to get the brakes inspected and wheels repacked before we head out on a trip to the East Coast. This is the first time I have used Turbo's, but sounds like you have had good experience with Tanglewood Trailers in Palmer Lake?

I had the same issue with a failed brake assembly on a trip last summer to Niagra Falls. Keystone took care of the rebuild, no problem, while it was still under warranty. I did spend about $120 out of pocket for a non-standard brake assembly (no auto adjustment) to get me home.
MJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:58 PM   #20
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Hey, M Johnston!
Howdy neighbor! Tanglewood is owned and operated by a retired Navy officer who is one top-drawer individual. You won't be sorry doing business with him. My close friend and RV'ing buddy two doors down has been using him for several years and strongly recommended him to me. Tanglewood specializes in cargo-type trailers, so don't expect RV-specific repairs, but anything below the floor would probably be in their purview.

I had so many excruciating problems with my 33RL Montana High Country right off the showroom floor that I didn't trust that my wheel bearings and brakes would be good from the factory, and they weren't! I will always start the season with a check and repack from Tanglewood from now on.

Byck
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric brakes