Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
3750fl Bedroom Carpet

My wife has asthma, our dog travels everywhere with us and she, the wife, would like to remove the carpet in the bedroom if our 3750fl. The bed appears to have wheels under it that allow it to slide on the floor. Anyone replace the carpet in the bedroom on their 3750fl or under a bed that moves? We finished removing the carpet in the front living and went with a vinyl plank that is very nice and it turned out great. Dirt in the carpet was horrible and my wife vacuums regularly. Any idea on changing the carpet under the bed would be appreciated otherwise I might just have to disassemble the whole thing.

Here are some photos of the front living room with the new flooring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B04DAC43-FDEC-4A64-8BA7-EAE4E1A2C7D5.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	6381   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA098C4F-393F-47B9-9A06-293F1A511555.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	6382  

bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:36 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Looks very nice.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
A suggestion would be to leave the carpet under the bed and replace only the visible area surrounding the bed.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Well after a little exploratory surgery on the bed slide the offending carpet was removed and new vinyl plank was installed. Now to put some trim in and reassemble the bed. Overall it looks good. Floor was in great shape, no signs of leaks or damage anywhere. Now for the next project. Redoing the roof with Crazy Seal and replacing some vents and changing the AC gaskets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A80C3826-6CBA-4747-810A-B9AFDCA26AB5.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	6424   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5F843C3-07EC-43E4-93A3-994AEE09214D.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	6425   Click image for larger version

Name:	53733B01-E5F4-48E7-A155-6ACFE3C8F441.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	6426   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF8E05E0-5342-4124-B3E0-A8AA02C1860A.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	6427  
Old 05-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually, removing the bed to install new flooring isn't a bad idea and easier than it sounds. In our old rig we had to rebuild the bed after we put a heavy mattress on it and it pulled away from the wall. Once we took it apart and looked at how it was built we added two more rollers and a bunch of additional bracing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I’ve got a question. In your last photo, the slide with the raised floor, what did you do to hold the flooring down under the slide lip. I see a caulk gun, is it panel adhesive or what. I’ve got ours ordered and will be laying it this weekend. Then I’ll tear the bed out and do the upstairs and bath. Thanks.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Our current MHC has no carpet, except a small bit in each slide. This is the first camper we've had with virtually no carpet to walk on. And it's absolutely amazing how much dirt, grass, and grit get swept up EVERY time we sweep (which is a lot, since we use ours 24X7 all year at home or camping.

It makes me cringe thinking how much crud was being retained in the carpet in all our previous campers, even with the best vacuum sweeper.

All our carpet has also been removed in our house, and it's mind blowing how much dirt gets swept up, so often.

The flooring looks great, and (personally) I think you'll enjoy your camper a lot more now. Good job on making the switch. Photos look real good.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmitfl View Post
I’ve got a question. In your last photo, the slide with the raised floor, what did you do to hold the flooring down under the slide lip. I see a caulk gun, is it panel adhesive or what. I’ve got ours ordered and will be laying it this weekend. Then I’ll tear the bed out and do the upstairs and bath. Thanks.
I went with a floor called SmartCore from Lowe’s it is technically a floating floor but can be adhered down. So I laid the floor and applied adhesive where the bed rolls on the floor and the first and last course which when I called the manufacturer was their recommendation. Then I finished it off with some 1/4 round and called it a day.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Our current MHC has no carpet, except a small bit in each slide. This is the first camper we've had with virtually no carpet to walk on. And it's absolutely amazing how much dirt, grass, and grit get swept up EVERY time we sweep (which is a lot, since we use ours 24X7 all year at home or camping.

It makes me cringe thinking how much crud was being retained in the carpet in all our previous campers, even with the best vacuum sweeper.

All our carpet has also been removed in our house, and it's mind blowing how much dirt gets swept up, so often.

The flooring looks great, and (personally) I think you'll enjoy your camper a lot more now. Good job on making the switch. Photos look real good.

Yeah my wife has asthma and no matter what vacuum we used there was always more dirt coming out so by carpet. Amazingly after pulling the carpet there was almost a full bag of dirt on the built in vacuum that got picked up. Already the smell is better and personally I like the look a lot better. I still need to put in the transition strips to the existing sheet vinyl but that should be an easy job for tomorrow depending on the weather.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
It looks nice. What year is your 3750 FL? Mine is a 2012. My couches are cloth. Do you have the L shaped couch on the left?
I like having the carpeting in the bedroom and front living. It gives it a quiet cozy home feeling. We take our shoes off before going inside so we don't bring in the camp ground dirt.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:53 PM   #11
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
It looks nice. What year is your 3750 FL? Mine is a 2012. My couches are cloth. Do you have the L shaped couch on the left?
I like having the carpeting in the bedroom and front living. It gives it a quiet cozy home feeling. We take our shoes off before going inside so we don't bring in the camp ground dirt.
Ours is a 2011. We had the l shaped couch but decided to switch to two straight couches for the pullout bed option as we have two kids and it just a works better for us with no L. We take off our shoes but the dirt still finds a way to the carpet either on the dog or the kids. The new vinyl plank feels very cozy and if the wife ever wanted I would expect she would add a rug. The carpet removal also was meant to help keep down on pet hair as we travel with our corgi.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #12
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
How is the L shaped couch bolted in? Was it hard to remove?
Old 06-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #13
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
How is the L shaped couch bolted in? Was it hard to remove?
It had four screws if I remember correctly but it was last summer we did that. It was easy though and great for lunch while traveling
Old 06-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #14
Denise Bourgeois

M.O.C. #25657
Where did you find a sofa to fit within the raised slide area? We took out the L shaped sofa in the front living. Now, we are having a difficult time finding a replacement sofa.

Denise Bourgeois
dalebourgeois@bellsouth.net
Denise Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #15
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Bourgeois View Post
Where did you find a sofa to fit within the raised slide area? We took out the L shaped sofa in the front living. Now, we are having a difficult time finding a replacement sofa.

Denise Bourgeois
I found one at https://bontragers.com/ they have a fair number of sofa with slide notches. If I remember correctly RecPro had some as well. I happened to find a pull out that was only 2 or 3 inches short of the original in length. Still RV furniture which sometimes is questionable in quality but these sofas have held up well after two years of constant use by a now 11 and 13 year old.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #16
Tess

M.O.C. #21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Bourgeois View Post

Denise Bourgeois
Did you find a sofa to fit? We are now having the same problem.
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote