Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #1
1800callcecegmail.com
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #18644
Kitchen sink leak

Hello my name is Cece and I am married to a wonderful man. My father in law gave us a montana fifth wheel.

Every time I wash dishes in th kitchen sink, the water leaks to the other side of rear tire.

I have the black tank closed and grey tank opened.

I think I have a gally tank. Don't know what it's for.

Do I have a leak in grey tank or a crack in it.

Is it expensive to fix?

Please help.

Cece from Alvin, Tx

1800callcecegmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Add your Montana model and year to your profile so we know what you have.

The galley tank is for the kitchen sink. There should be a pull handle some where in front, behind, or possibly between the wheels on the street side. A leak there is not normal. Since it leaks when you use the kitchen sink the leak would be associated with the galley tank. May be a cracked tank or pipe connected to the tank. Is water dripping from the enclosed under belly? Or maybe from the drain pipe under the trailer?
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As Bill said, the first thing to do is to find the handle for the galley tank valve. My bet is between the tires as he mentioned. The tank may not be damaged, it just may be full and overflowing. Until you find the valve handle and dump the galley tank, you will not be able to determine if you do have a leak.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On ours it's in front of the front street side tire.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you have never drained your galley tank since you got the trailer (assuming Dad-in-law emptied the tanks before giving you the rig - that was very generous of him), your tank might be leaking where the plumbing connects to the tank and you are finally filling the galley tank (different from the gray tank which is used for the shower/lavatory) and now it's overflowing at the leak.

There will be a lot of labor cost to fix this, because the under-the-rig-cover (if equipped) needs removal and the tank may need to be dropped or the fix may require the repairman to gain access to the top of the tank. Then if the tank is also broken anywhere, there's the cost of a new tank (prices vary). On my '06 Monty the rig has 38 gallon tanks. I'm guessing your rig might have the same tank capacity.

On an unrelated note, I suggest you edit your phone number out of your posts (if that is your phone number). It's just good practice not to ever post your phone number in a public forum!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #6
1800callcecegmail.com
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #18644

1999 montana Tv

Vin no
4yDF33529X4050473

From Cece:

Thank you everybody for your help and advice. I don't know anything about this Montana fifth wheel that my father n law gave us.

When we got it, it had a huge leak, coming from the roof.
All the wirings that plug into electrical outlet pole were all burned out.
I am betting my in laws had a new refrigerator put in.
I was thinking, I be blessed and start using it. WRONG!
Somewhere in fifth wheel was electrical shorts. It was no fun trying to find the electrical
Shorts!

I don't know how to start up my water heater.
I looked under the sink, and it looks new to me.

Could someone tell me if I connected my DC House batteries would my refrig work?
Would my water heater work?
I have my DC batteries disconnected.

I don't know if I can have both working at same time? I mean the DC batteries and electricity running to RV park electrical outlet.

I'm tired of taking a bath in cold water!

I know all the right side of my fifth wheel has to be gutted out and fix.
That will have to wait.

I guess, I will get under the fifth wheel and find my Gally tank, I think, I need to emptied it out. Assuming I find the lever!

Thank you everybody for your advice and God bless everyone one hundred fold.

1800callcecegmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
From the sound of it, I'd question whether a "favor" was done. 1999 was the first year Montana's came out. You have to have 12 VDC power (whether directly from batteries or from your converter) to run most anything as in fridge, furnace, and water heater while on gas. Yes you can have batterie(s) hooked up while on shore power as that's how the converter charges the battery. If your electrical is all burnt up ... you have a job ahead of you to remedy what caused it all.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:38 AM   #8
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Celia
If that is your phone number, it appears you are in the Dallas area?
Since you dont know too much about the gift you received, and you have a lot of questions and much to learn, perhaps there is a MOC member near by that could come by and show you a few things.
60 minutes walking around your rig will teach you as much or more as 6 hours of reading posts on this forum.

Perhaps if you posted the general area where the trailer is located, someone may volunteer. (But not the actual address!)

Good luck, warm baths are in your future!

-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
She stated that she is in Alvn, TX, just south of Houston.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Galley tank drain valve handle on some models are under the slideout 6 - 12inches behind the drivers side rear Montana tire along the frame rail. Look for the smaller 1.5inch drain line and follow it back to where it disapears up into bottom. Then look along the frame near where the pipe goes up into the underbelly.

The batteries have to be connected for any of the 12V options.

The fridge should work on 12V and propane if the switch is pushed in for the Gas position or 120V if the Gas button is out.

Your hot water heater should be able to run on 12VDC and propane. OR 120V Some have a switch ON/OFF inside the white heater outside cover. On is for 120V and is independent of the 12V propane option.

Keystone standardized a convenience center on newer models.

Finding shorts is no easy task in any RV no matter which brand. Be safe and consult a "knowledgeable" electrician or repair man.
Remember advice is only as good, as the recipient.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Also Look at this thread:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=68610

And if you do a search you will find many topics on this.
When I first got my Montana, I had no clue either. No one informed me. I was at a campground and asked around. Wasn't till I found another Montana owner gave me the advice.
I HOPE all is well!