Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
memory foam topper

Boy is my back sore!!! We have the king size bed in our 3400 and I am wondering if it is a California King or a regular king. I need to purchase a memory foam mattress topper ....any suggestions?? Thanks, Kathy

triplewhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Kathy,

Let me know if you find a good deal at a "national" store. We need to get one for the king size in our 2955 too. The one that came with the unit is hard on my wife's arthritis so we hope going with a topper will help for awhile.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
I will let you know what I find out, mac. In an earlier post, I heard you should look at overstock.com for a good deal.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Measure you mattress and go buy the topper. Enjoy...we do.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
In an earlier post this subject was discussed and different ones made recommendations as to where to buy a memory foam pad ....We ordered ours from Penny's and got a good deal on it. I think that I paid about $50.00 for it and we really do like it. It surely does make the queen size bed in our 2955 Montana a lot more comfortable.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Shirley,

We just got a catalog today from Penny's and there is one in there for $49 any size but they are only 1-1/2" thick. Is that what yours is? I've seen them from 2 - 4" thick and so I was wondering if the 1-1/2 would be thick enough.

I have looked on Overstock too but I've not seen them on there for a very good price. I know Sams has one, but it's a queen. So there you are.

mac
Old 06-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I don't think you would be happy with the 1-1/2" foam. We felt we needed the as much extra support for the bed as possible. We spent the bucks and ordered the 4" memory foam topper from Overstock.com and do not regret it. The bed in the Montana is more comfortable than the one we sleep on in the stick house.

If you opt for a memory foam topper it will come in a regular king size. It was easy to make it fit the existing rounded cornered mattress. Lay it down on top of the mattress, take a marks-a-lot and trace the outline of the mattress on the bottom of the memory foam. Turn it over and with any electric knife cut the memory foam as you would a board with a jig saw. The result will surprise you, a good clean professional cut that makes the sheets fit very well and no corner hang over.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We tried out the mattress in our new 3400 while in the driveway and lucky we did..we lasted about 2 hours and returned to the house. We gave the mattress away and orderd a Americana bear bed, should be here in a day or so. We tried the memory foam in our last camper and it did not work for us.Spent @800.00 for a sealy that worked.The bear bed cost 1000.00 but we are going to be using this one a lot more and we both have sensitive backs. It probably makes sense to try the foam topper first.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Rich,

This is the second time I've seen your reference to a "bear bed" and I've done a search on it both times and can't find anything so I don't know what you're talking about. We have a sleep number bed at home and I like that a great deal but they don't give them away either.

On a separate note I did find a 4" Serta memory foam on Overstock for 179.00 which is about half price of any other 4" one I've seen. Sounds like 4" is the way to go.

mac
Old 06-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
If you can get that 4" Serta for $179 I would pick it up. The memory foam is pretty amazing and has really helped with my bed. I only have a 2" foam mattress, but wish I would have opt. for the 4".
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Actually, we bought a 1 1/2" memory foam topper and it made an incredible difference for us on our stick house bed. We searched for a year to replace our extremely uncomfortable king mattress. We looked at the $1,000 - $2,000 range. We were just getting ready to spend some very big bucks, when we thought we'd try this king 1 1/2" one from Penneys.

We are still sleeping on it today (3 years later) with night and day difference (excuse the pun) in our sleep and lack of backaches.

You will need a mattress pad over any foam topper, however, as they all get very warm with no cover on them.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I will give you some advice.....I bought the memory foam at Costco. I LOVE IT! But don't plan to sleep on it for 72 hours because it has to get its memory back. If you look at the size of the box you will know what I am talking about. You have to pull it apart and allow it to regain its shape which is approx. 72 hours. I have had 4 major back surgeries so the first night on that regular mattress was a nightmare. Then I had to pull out the sofa sleeper and sleep there till the mattress was ready. I really forgot how miserable I was after I got into that bed with the memory foam. So just put it on when you don't plan on sleeping on it right away...You will be much happier....Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We bought the memory foam topper for our Queen size bed at Costco. I believe it is 2 in. It has a cover that goes over it so you do not have the sheets right on the foam. It works very well. I remember they had king size also. If the 4 in is available I would opt for that but the 2 in works well.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #14
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
Well we did it. We ordered the 4 inch Serta memory foam topper from Overstock.com. It will be at least a week before we can try it out but I will give a full report...hopefully no more back spasms. Thank you all for the good advice. Kathy
Old 06-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

Rich,

This is the second time I've seen your reference to a "bear bed" and I've done a search on it both times and can't find anything so I don't know what you're talking about. We have a sleep number bed at home and I like that a great deal but they don't give them away either.

On a separate note I did find a 4" Serta memory foam on Overstock for 179.00 which is about half price of any other 4" one I've seen. Sounds like 4" is the way to go.

mac
http://www.bearbeds.com/ See web site.. the bear bed is a competitor of the sleep number bed out of Calif.There are some on then forum that have them.We liked the fact that the air pump is a part of the mattress as well as in was @ 500.00 less money //shipping included.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #16
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
In response to Mac about the 1/1/2 inch memory foam pad, we are quite satisfied with the one that I ordered. Don't know exactly how thick it is, but it is thick enough for us. It really makes a big difference in that mattress . It almost feels like a pillow top mattress and those are usually expensive. I have a good mattress pad over it and after the bed is completely made up, it feels like a brand new mattress.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Rich,

Please keep us posted on your Bear bed when it arrives.
Also, did you get yours with or without the memory foam?

Thanks,

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #18
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
The wife and I got a memory foam topper and conforter from costco online and it has done the trick for me don't know what the price was the boss handles that but it did work money well spent for us the bed is a regular king not a calif king we have a calif king in the house and the sheets did not fit so new bedding followed the new 3400 lol oh well It's only money
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Just ordered the 4" topper at Overstock and received an additional $10 off, so it was $172 including shipping. Not too bad, I think. Hopefully it will help both of us sleep a little better.

mac
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kwbosch

Rich,

Please keep us posted on your Bear bed when it arrives.
Also, did you get yours with or without the memory foam?

Thanks,

Ken
We did not order the memory foam with the bear bed because upon questioning we found that it is the same type of memory foam topper you can buy most anywhere.We figured if we decide we need the foam topper we will buy one somewhere rather than find out we paid 99.00 for something we did not need. It is due to be delivered June 8th at the present time it is at a UPS depot in Nev.. Oh..we got the Deluxe bear 12 inch mattress