Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #21
bjacobs3791RD
Established Member

M.O.C. #25072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
i suspect it is a connection problem....the wires from the front a/c and then to the back a/c

but, at this point you can try to push for a replacement a/c and see how that goes.
How exactly, or why are these units linked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjam359 View Post
Set thermostat at 68. Outside is 75. Both units on high cool. Right now seems to be working fine. Going to leave on tonight and check in the am. I am in Dayton TX west of you.
Hey, right down the road there! My Dad has been at BJ Ford next door to you for 25 years. Let me know what the morning brings. Are you at a normal 50amp spot?

bjacobs3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:24 AM   #22
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Brandon, I just watched your videos on you tube. That is exactly what ours is doing. Once it shuts off and won't turn back on, you can change anything you want on the thermostat and it won't turn back on until you completely shut it off for a few seconds, then back on. I haven't tried running on high or low setting, only auto as I was told that was the correct way to run both together. Set desired temp and fan on auto. I am out of the rig until June 6th when we are going out for 2 weeks. I will work with it some more and update you. We are looking forward to any insights you get as to the problem. It's very strange. My wife says it runs all night but shuts off during the day. It won't shut down at night even when 10 or more degrees below the set point. But during the day it will shut down and then refuse to turn back on until I reset it or turn off at the thermostat. I still wonder if it has to do with how the 2 units work with each other, because as you stated, it will cycle on/off every few seconds and the fan on one unit will speed up while the other slows down (high vs low). Next cycle the fan switches to high on the 2nd unit and low on the first. This all happens in just seconds, not over a long period of time, so temp has not changed. Unit only ran for less than 30 seconds when this starts happening.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #23
mbjam359
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20338
AC

I have been playing with mine. Both set at 68F Ran both units on high overnight and they seemed to do fine. Switched to auto and they both ran until the rear shut off. The front continued to run off and on normally. The rear hasnt come back on to my knowledge. I turned the front to off, waiting to see if rear will come back on. The zone shows 68F same as setting. Its been an hour or so and I think the zone temp should be rising. Going to give it awhile longer and see if zone temp changes and rear comes back on.
mbjam359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:26 PM   #24
cghsatx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacobs3791RD View Post
Howdy!

My rig is currently at the dealer for issues with both Dometic 15K air conditioners. Dealer (Sherrod RV in Silsbee, TX) has been extremely great to work with as always, but Dometic and Keystone are giving the him a hard time diagnosing the problem as it is intermittant and not always able to duplicate. I figured I would reach out to the community and see if anyone has had a similar problem.

The A/C will cool down to the set temperature, turn off as expected and sometimes will not kick back on as temperature rises until I turn the thermostat off, let it sit for a few seconds and turn it back to cool. This happens when set on Cool and Auto. This doesn't happen all the time and seems to happen more at night. If I change settings to Cool and High or Low where the fan should run constantly, the fan will intermittently shut off and come on +/-10 seconds later. I've linked a couple videos of what is happening.

Ready to get this fixed so we can bring it to the beach for the summer!

Thanks in advance!

-Brandon

https://youtu.be/y0Wu-PSsGrM

https://youtu.be/_3D8Mh72ItQ
If nothing else, Keystone/Dometic is consistent. This has been happening for at least 2 years, and as far as I know, no one has come up with a definitive fix. You can try auto, high, or low, or make sure no one pushed the thermostat too hard, change it out, check for loose wires, clean out any mud dauber nest, or its just too hot and 85 degrees is normal with both AC on high. Its the dealers fault, its Keystone fault, its Dometic's fault , its George Bush's fault.

If you ever get a real answer/fix, please post it. Most of us, I presume, have just given up and tinker with thermostat until it cools again, or were lucky enough to get one that worked correctly from the start. Tough to believe that in this day and age, the RV people cant get an AC to stay on.
cghsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:45 PM   #25
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
had similar problem last year. They replaced our air unite do to low or nonexistence of collant.
it was the final straw for my wife. had to sell ours.
Snoopy
1 Wife & 2 shi tzu
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:34 PM   #26
TheKothes
Established Member

M.O.C. #19598
A/C Problems

We too fought the A/C in our Montana when we bought it. Our dealer told us to leave it on manual and to not use Auto. While I did not experience the unit shutting down after reaching temp and then not coming back on we did have the fan changing speeds frequently. It would get to temp and the fan would go off and then turn back on a few seconds later. Drove me nuts. Leaving the fan on all the time is how we are running it now. It is my understanding the only "connection" between the units is in the duct work. The ducts run the entire length of my unit and both units feed into the same duct system. There are several posts on the A/C system with some good recommendations. Hope you get it working the way you want it to. I wish I had another 10k BTU's to get it cool during the day in the Texas heat.
TheKothes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #27
Jimfla

M.O.C. #26006
Thermostats

I have a 2019 Cardinal with 3 a/c s had the same problem it was those touch thermostat the dealer replaced them with the old style button one I have had no problems since .
Jimfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:19 PM   #28
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Might have been me. Dometic sent me two new of the touch control faceplates and that solved my problem where the units would just shut off for no reason. 2017 3820FK
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #29
cmccuan
Established Member

M.O.C. #20195
Your air returns and/or your air outlets have been crushed in construction. Keystone won't fix it properly, (cuz they really can't) so they had the dealer install 2"clear flexible spa hoses to get proper air moving. It's better, but not our first RV so we know what well working systems feel like. This is not even close.
cmccuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #30
cmccuan
Established Member

M.O.C. #20195
Oh, and by the way. They were matter a fact about it. Like it happens often.
cmccuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #31
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Crushed Duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccuan View Post
Oh, and by the way. They were matter a fact about it. Like it happens often.
CW was useless in fixing my AC. They CND'd it on two successive visits (the air blowing out was 20 degrees cooler than the supply so it must be good) while under warranty. Tried to just sell me the third AC unit. Thanks to this forum, I fixed the ducts and changed the diffusers, and also found the solution on the thermostats. I used PVC pipe and went in from the roof and opened up all the returns. Works like a champ now.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #32
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
I forgot to mention that there is another thread on this forum that I can't find now (may have been on the Heartland forum) where they had to add some supply outlets because there weren't enough installed. Dometic has a specification for their AC units on supply and return duct volume and if its not enough, it impacts system performance.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:59 PM   #33
mjchiaro

M.O.C. #17868
Mine is not a Montana, and the ac is a Coleman, but my symptoms were so similar. When the interior trim was put in, they managed to shoot a brad thru the 7 wire ac cable and scraped off the insulation off 3 wires. Each move or even shift of the rv caused different wires to short causing different symptoms. Good luck.
mjchiaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:01 AM   #34
GeologyTek
Established Member

M.O.C. #21745
Air conditioner ghost!!!!

My Dometic Penguin 2 is doing the EXACT same thing!!!!! It happens at night when it is cooler out, it mainly happens when in auto mode, it sometimes happens when in continuous fan mode. The only thing I can do is cool it way down the wake up and re set the thermostat!!!!! It its utterly madness.
GeologyTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #35
JMGray
Established Member

M.O.C. #21499
We also have the 3791RD and our A/C will cut off then a few seconds later come back on. Both units are doing this. They are set to Cool/auto with temp set to 76. Dealership said they couldn’t replicate it so therefore the issue didn’t exist. when I got it back It was still doing it. The camper stays cool so I don’t let it bother me anymore.
JMGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #36
bjacobs3791RD
Established Member

M.O.C. #25072
UPDATE: Trying to contain my frustration with this $h!t.. I picked the Montana up on Friday after the dealer could not replicate the problem. We bounced ideas off of each other and I thought it may be something not right with the electrical at my house. Dometic had thrown the idea out to us that something on the same circuit at my house might be giving an odd feedback that was causing it to glitch. I thought that was a far reach, but at this point nothing was out of the question.

Being it didn't act up for the three days it was at the dealer, I got it home and plugged it in the same spot I had it in before. Friday night it screwed up, Saturday morning it screwed up. I ran the cord to a different plug on a different breaker. Everything worked great, no issues with either unit, no high/low switching, no shutting off and not coming back on, everything was just like it should be..........until yesterday evening. Back to the same song and dance. Rear a/c shut off and wouldn't come back on, shut that one off and turned the front a/c on. Front ran as it should through the night until 7am. Temp was set at 66 and I felt it getting warm but I was in and out of the camper so I didn't touch the thermostat. To my suprise, it kicked back on. I checked and the temp inside, it was 5 degrees above the set point. Thought that was a little odd but hell I don't know what's normal at this point. One minute into running, the fan starts the same crap shutting off for a few seconds, coming back on low, running for one minute, shutting off, starting back up still on low, running for a minute, shutting off, starting back up on high...over and over. Que the recording to document it, it's uploaded here.

https://youtu.be/r1tZbemNq0E

I've read through everyone's responses and appreciate everyone chiming in. I've have had a lot of the same theories, bad airflow, nail through wiring, etc. But in this 9-minute video this morning there is too much of a pattern.

Starts on High
0:29 Off
0:34 Low
1:35 Off
1:40 Low
2:40 Off
2:43 Low
3:43 Off
3:47 High
4:47 Off
4:51 Low
5:50 Off
5:54 Low
6:53 Off
6:57 Low
7:58 Off
8:02 Low
9:01 Off
9:04 High

It shuts off for 4 seconds every 60 seconds after the fan kicks on.

I am beyond pi$$ed at this point and don't know which way to turn.
bjacobs3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #37
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
You know...after someone on here asked about whether I was hooked up to 50 amp power, I considered the same thing. BUT, I have had the Monty in 9 different campgrounds and experienced the same behavior in all of them. AND I even purchased a Progressive Industries EMS that says the power is fine.
I'll be in the Monty for 3 weeks starting Saturday so I plan to work on it some more to see if I can figure anything out. I'm still of the opinion that it is between the thermostat and control board.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #38
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
AC Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacobs3791RD View Post
UPDATE: Trying to contain my frustration with this $h!t.. I picked the Montana up on Friday after the dealer could not replicate the problem. We bounced ideas off of each other and I thought it may be something not right with the electrical at my house. Dometic had thrown the idea out to us that something on the same circuit at my house might be giving an odd feedback that was causing it to glitch. I thought that was a far reach, but at this point nothing was out of the question.

Being it didn't act up for the three days it was at the dealer, I got it home and plugged it in the same spot I had it in before. Friday night it screwed up, Saturday morning it screwed up. I ran the cord to a different plug on a different breaker. Everything worked great, no issues with either unit, no high/low switching, no shutting off and not coming back on, everything was just like it should be..........until yesterday evening. Back to the same song and dance. Rear a/c shut off and wouldn't come back on, shut that one off and turned the front a/c on. Front ran as it should through the night until 7am. Temp was set at 66 and I felt it getting warm but I was in and out of the camper so I didn't touch the thermostat. To my suprise, it kicked back on. I checked and the temp inside, it was 5 degrees above the set point. Thought that was a little odd but hell I don't know what's normal at this point. One minute into running, the fan starts the same crap shutting off for a few seconds, coming back on low, running for one minute, shutting off, starting back up still on low, running for a minute, shutting off, starting back up on high...over and over. Que the recording to document it, it's uploaded here.

https://youtu.be/r1tZbemNq0E

I've read through everyone's responses and appreciate everyone chiming in. I've have had a lot of the same theories, bad airflow, nail through wiring, etc. But in this 9-minute video this morning there is too much of a pattern.

Starts on High
0:29 Off
0:34 Low
1:35 Off
1:40 Low
2:40 Off
2:43 Low
3:43 Off
3:47 High
4:47 Off
4:51 Low
5:50 Off
5:54 Low
6:53 Off
6:57 Low
7:58 Off
8:02 Low
9:01 Off
9:04 High

It shuts off for 4 seconds every 60 seconds after the fan kicks on.

I am beyond pi$$ed at this point and don't know which way to turn.
I sent you a Private Message. I hope I can help. Please reply.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #39
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
You know...after someone on here asked about whether I was hooked up to 50 amp power, I considered the same thing. BUT, I have had the Monty in 9 different campgrounds and experienced the same behavior in all of them. AND I even purchased a Progressive Industries EMS that says the power is fine.
I'll be in the Monty for 3 weeks starting Saturday so I plan to work on it some more to see if I can figure anything out. I'm still of the opinion that it is between the thermostat and control board.
RMcNeal,
I've sent you a private message. I hope to help with your issue. Please reply.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #40
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
I would check all the crimp wire connectors from the thermostat up in the AC enclosure on the roof. These are the “telephone wire” size wires and I found the crimp was too big for these wires, so I removed it and used a wire nut instead. Haven’t had a problem since.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote