Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
New truck

Good morning Gang, I am faced with the difficult decision of purchasing a new truck. I currently own a 08 Dodge Mega Cab 4x4 and have had so many problems with it that Chrysler has agreeed to buy it back. Thank goodness for the Lemon Law. Now , what do I buy next , my wife works for a local Chevy dealer, so last week I went and drove a new LTZ Duramax , nice truck and more comfortable than my Dodge , this weekend I drove a new 2010 Ford F350 4x4 4 door with the 6.4 PSD, both the Ford and Chevy were very nice , however my Dodge would eat them for breakfast , of coarse this was low end torque , and to be fair , I am not used to driving a V8 diesel , so it could just be a different power band. I am a little gun shy of another Dodge , but know that they have worked out some of the issues I was having. Our local dealer said they would have the new Ram trucks in several weeks , so I will wait to look at them before I decide on anything. on the good side for Dodge , there 2010 trucks wont have to have a UREA tank on there 2010 trucks , nor does Fords 2010. I really like the exhaust brake in my Dodge and other than software problems it hasnt been a bad truck. Of the two new ones I drove , both myself and my wife liked the Ford, and she sells Chevys. I know as far as problems , you can have them with any make , and I am not Brand loyal. So there ya have it, not a big deal considering all the problems in our world today....lol , but you know how passionate we can be about our trucks. Thanks for any input you may have . Scott

Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You might take a look at the spec's for all the trucks.. 5th wheel tow rating, Cargo Cap, etc.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Thanks Rich , but I know that I wont be getting anything bigger than than I can safely tow with a 1 ton SRW. We are still young and need the truck as a daily driver for my business , and dont want a dually, the biggest challenge for me right now is deciding which of the big three to buy ? How is your 6.4 working out for you? Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I want the 2011 Ford 350 SRW.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Read what a Ford owner has to say about their Ford...
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=36314
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To be fair, you can find several threads here about problems with all the brands, including the GM's, Dodge, and Ford. None of them are perfect and all have an occasional lemon. I hope whatever you decide to do the next one is better for you.

I'm sorry you're having problems with your Dodge. I've driven them all and towed many miles with two of the brands and this 2007 Dodge Megacab has been the best as far as towing. And it's only had one problem where early on they replaced the turbo with the newer design. That was at 13,000 miles. It now has 48,xxx miles and has been trouble free since that turbo was replaced. If I were to trade right now, the next would also be a Dodge.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the next one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I spent nearly 40 years working for GM and therefore always buy GM, but I have to say this: generally speaking you won't go wrong with any of the big (domestic) three when it comes to their one ton diesel trucks. As you said, you can get a clinker from any of them. As you have already started, drive them all and pick the one you and your wife like the best.

Before the "brand loyals" jump on here, every brand has their good points and their bad points. It's all a matter of personal preference so let's not turn this into a peeing match!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
I agree Steve, and I am not excluding the Dodge from my list, I am actually looking forward to seeing the new 2010. It has a new interior , and exterior , and from those that have seen them at auto shows , it is a good looking truck. One thing good about the Dodge is that the 2010 is already compliant and doesnt require additional smog equipment. Thanks Scott
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
And I agree with Tom they're all good. I am, however, glad I won't have to fill up that urea tank. I read that normal driving will require it being refilled about the same time as an oil change is due. But if you do heavy towing you'll fill it more often. Eventually all the stations carrying diesel will also carry the urea but that sure seems like an extra expense and pain to me. If I were buying now and were buying Ford or GM I'd be doing it before this year is out, just for that reason. Maybe it will be less painful than it appears at this time.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, how come you didn't go back and find the ones about GM problems and post them???? You know as well as I do there have been some.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I love Fords event though I now own a Dodge now, there are several things that if I had to do it all over again I would take into consideration, 1. the paint that Dodge uses is not as durable as I would like, compaired to the Fords on my 96 F350 PSD the paint was in very good condition for 12.5 years in the weather no garage. 2. Is the mega cab with a 8 foot bed is supose to come out for 2010 which I would love to have for the softer ride.
Chevy only offers a gear ratio of 3.73 no option for 4.10 but are very comfortable and ride nice too.
Ford's CC Ranch has everything but if I had to do it all over again it might have been a Ford but when I was looking in Nov/Dec last year none were to be found everybody was getting money from Uncle Sam in bail outs.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Shooterdad... Our 08 6.4L Ford just turned 26K miles pulling our 06 3400 with not a single problem of any kind. The Ford is a strong truck. We also are not brand loyal truck or camper and purchase what serves our all over needs best.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
This being my first pickup truck I didn't really care what brand it was because they are all pretty good. So I went with the one that had the best rebates and what my wife liked.(It didn't matter how much I liked it, if my wife didn't like it I shortly wouldn't like it.)
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I'm behind times with an 08 Chev truck. I had to do an internet search to find out what a UREA Tank was. Interesting reading to say the least. You can't tinkle in the tank and fool the sensors either.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
First - Jolu: I love that 'Duramax with the Allison Transmission' you have pictured. That would definitely pull any Montana out there (I didn't have the screen scrolled up far enough to see the bottom caption ....)

ShooterDad: As for the new truck issue -- all of the Big 3 are going to have problems if you drive them as your daily driver and don't get them out on the road / work them hard and get them hot enough to burn off the soot, etc., from the DPF. The cliche 'Drive em like you stole em' is a truism now more than ever. If you truly have to use this truck as your daily driver and it is not being worked hard enough to get it hot long enough, then you might consider one of the big 3's gas engine models. Not as economical when towing but definitely better than having to put the diesel in the shop (or driving it 30 miles out and then back again) to get / keep the DPF clear.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Having logged over 190,000 miles on two Chevy Duramax diesels, I just bought an 09 F350 Super Duty Powerstroke 3 weeks ago. Reason...my last Chevy was not holding up and the repair bills were starting to become more than a payment. Would I buy another Chevy...possibly. I chose the Ford this time mainly for the payload capacity as well as the King Ranch interior. I must note that I have not towed with the Ford yet, but I have noticed it is much slower off the line than the Duramax. Happy shopping.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #17
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Sky , as I said earlier, we really like the Ford, and the one we drove was a King Ranch , it was beautiful. It didnt seem to have any more or less low end torque than the Chevy , but neiher one had as much as my current Dodge.I am eager to see the new Dodge , and at that point make a decision. In the event that the 2010 Dodge doesnt live up to the media comments , we will likely get the Ford. Axious to hear how it tows compared to the Chevy, keep us posted . Thanks ...Scott
Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #18
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We are runnig 2 09 F350s, one a dually and the other a SRW both with the 6.4s. Both were purchased last Nov of 08, the SRW has 28,000 miles and the other 6,700 miles with a majority of pulling, neither one has been back to the dealer. Excellent trucks other than fuel mileage and the consistent regens for EPA requirements. We have made some changes and now find both very responsive and way better on fuel consumption. All three manufactures have their pros and cons. Go back and drive them at least two or three times, make a list of what you like and don't like of each and then deside from there.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tspoon

This being my first pickup truck I didn't really care what brand it was because they are all pretty good. So I went with the one that had the best rebates and what my wife liked.(It didn't matter how much I liked it, if my wife didn't like it I shortly wouldn't like it.)
HA! Not my first truck, but the DW definitely has input. She drives it a lot too. She will not drive a Dodge! It goes back to a car we owned when lots younger; left her hoofing it quite a few times. So, I think we'll always be driving a GM or Ford, which ever one offers the best incentitives. Now, you Dodge owners don't get riled, I've got friends that own Dodges, and they do an excellent job towing.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #20
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We are looking at trucks also, currently we have a Dodge. I borrowed a friends Chevy-Durmax/Allison and towed the 3400 for a couble of hundred miles. Made me appreciate the Cummings and take the Chevy off my list. Now to find a Ford to tow with for testing.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote