Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2023, 07:19 PM   #1
midwesternersgonerogue

M.O.C. #32449
Angry Bedroom Slide That's Never Worked

We purchased a new 2022 Montana High Country 377FL mid-December of 2022. Our bedroom slide came out sideways on our 2nd time using it.

We waited 2 months to have it repaired. Keystone actually recommended a mobile company that did an abysmal job.

It worked for one trip then broke...again.

We are having a real heckuva time finding a dealer willing to help us or see us in a timely manner. We bought it at RV Connections in Panama City Beach, FL.

They made all these claims about the great service they provide but they were pretty much lies.

They haven't been willing to work with us to help us get this resolved.

We were wintering in Florida but were planning to head back to Nebraska. The problem is no one in Nebraska will see us either.

They are only seeing customers who purchased through them.

Does anyone have suggestions on what we should do?

We are very frustrated and regret our purchase as we've barely camped with this camper working.

We also had 15 other repairs which I didn't even mention here.

We knew RVs aren't perfect and expected issues but we also thought we would be able to get big issues like this covered with warranty.

midwesternersgonerogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:02 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Welcome to the forum!

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes…look for and call 3-4 RV mobile techs and ask them specifically about their experience with Schwintek slide systems. I’m not sure what city you are in right now but you mentioned Panama City FL…so I searched google maps for “RV mobile tech” in the greater Panama City area. One guy came up and I started reading the reviews. He had 88 positive reviews…no negative reviews. It seems he has fixed lots of air conditioners, water heaters and awnings. I probably read half the reviews before someone mentioned a slide repair 2 years ago. Ask them how many man hours a typical Schwintek slide problem may take to fix. I am only describing my process - not making a recommendation.

Most campgrounds have a list of mobile RV repairmen. It’s a shame your dealer has failed you - but I think they are sending a message that you probably don’t want them touching your rig.

There are forum members that may be able to advise you on contacting Montana for help locating a dealer that can work with you for warranty repairs.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:49 PM   #3
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Here’s one of a few Youtube links for basic troubleshooting of your Schwintek re sideways extension problems - if that’s what you’re still experiencing. Looks like there is a potential quick fix followed by a section on locating your controller to get the error code, and even another to try an override. If the fixes don’t work, the code still might be helpful for when you talk to a tech and/or Keystone.

Although super frustrating, since your unit is under warranty, think you’ll have to be as patient as Job in trying to explain your dilemma to get Keystone to work with you to find a dealer or another mobile tech.

The Keystone website under customer service has a way to search for dealers and service by geographical area. Maybe a Keystone rep can reach out to a dealer for you and arrange the repair.

https://www.keystonerv.com/customer-service

Good luck and would be great to know how it goes.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:33 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Maybe on your way home to Nebraska, make a detour through Goshen Indiana and take it to Affinity RV Group. They are the best!!!
If you decide to go that route, call them ASAP to make an appointment.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:00 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’m sure you have been through a lot with this camper and you have a right to be disappointed. You wont to get Montana or whoever fixes it on your side. You need someone that will bend over backwards to help Please and thank you and being really nice will do that like nothing else can.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:07 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Another dreaded Shwintek fail. The unit works fine on a small slide but not so much on large ones. There is a Lippert recall and recommended repair. Did your dealer preform the repair based on the bulletin?

Mine was completely rebuilt. Several issues, improper installation exceeding tolerances and Lippert has upgraded several components. See the bulletin attached. Some are ditching the system completely and installing a Vroom.

https://vroomslidesystems.com/

I still have problems with mine. I have to level my trailer from side to side using legos under the axles before I dare to open it. ANY twist or bow in the frame will cause it to bind. I would start there. LEVEL the unit and see if it works. Then find someone that will follow the bulletin. Good luck!

Link to the latest bulletin.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=87469

Unable to upload the doc. Site issue. Here is a link to an earlier bulletin. I'm unable to upload the latest.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=82
Old 03-13-2023, 02:28 PM   #7
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Here’s a link to Lippert’s site for a 6/24/22 TSB on the Schwintek. Screen shot of page 1 included.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...d-0006468a.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14AFAA4E-1853-4B63-B00C-A0F8FCEAD66C.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	723.7 KB
ID:	14182  
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:38 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
1st, call Keystone customer service and open a ticket on your slide and other problems. 866-273-1450. Don't let a dealer tell you they did this; talk to Keystone yourself. They will always want you to exhaust dealership options before they get involved, but you need to get a ticket open. They may also recommend dealers to help you.

2nd, the advise to call Affinity is good; 574-971-5543. Goshen is not that far out of your way. Even if a trip to Goshen is not possible, Affinity can offer advise. They can also perform warranty work but you have to get Keystone involved. Keystone may even send you to Affinity.

Best of luck.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:38 PM   #9
midwesternersgonerogue

M.O.C. #32449
Wow! This community is AWESOME! Thank you all for the advice and support!

We called our dealer today and I asked to speak with the manager.

I mentioned I was planning to leave a 1-star review but as I am not an unreasonable person, I would prefer to resolve the issue with them rather than leave a poor review. I understand their reviews are very important to them but so is receiving the service we were told we would get when we purchased with them.

The manager was very kind and understanding. They are going to get us in on Thursday to diagnose the problem. It could be 4-6 weeks from there but that's a start.

And at least we are in a nice spot near the ocean. Can't complain about that!
Old 03-13-2023, 09:39 PM   #10
midwesternersgonerogue

M.O.C. #32449
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftOverParts View Post
Here’s a link to Lippert’s site for a 6/24/22 TSB on the Schwintek. Screen shot of page 1 included.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...d-0006468a.pdf
This is incredibly helpful! I didn't know about this. If the dealer doesn't help us, I'm going to speak with some mobile techs who have done this work.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:41 PM   #11
midwesternersgonerogue

M.O.C. #32449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Welcome to the forum!

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes…look for and call 3-4 RV mobile techs and ask them specifically about their experience with Schwintek slide systems. I’m not sure what city you are in right now but you mentioned Panama City FL…so I searched google maps for “RV mobile tech” in the greater Panama City area. One guy came up and I started reading the reviews. He had 88 positive reviews…no negative reviews. It seems he has fixed lots of air conditioners, water heaters and awnings. I probably read half the reviews before someone mentioned a slide repair 2 years ago. Ask them how many man hours a typical Schwintek slide problem may take to fix. I am only describing my process - not making a recommendation.

Most campgrounds have a list of mobile RV repairmen. It’s a shame your dealer has failed you - but I think they are sending a message that you probably don’t want them touching your rig.

There are forum members that may be able to advise you on contacting Montana for help locating a dealer that can work with you for warranty repairs.
I REALLY appreciate this advice. I had a mobile company recommended by Keystone that I was working with but they clearly do not fix slides. Your method makes a ton of sense.

I really don't know why Keystone recommended that mobile company. I did call their customer service line to inform them of how bad an unreliable they were. I also let them know they shouldn't have paid them for any warranty work as they didn't fix anything.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:41 PM   #12
midwesternersgonerogue

M.O.C. #32449
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
1st, call Keystone customer service and open a ticket on your slide and other problems. 866-273-1450. Don't let a dealer tell you they did this; talk to Keystone yourself. They will always want you to exhaust dealership options before they get involved, but you need to get a ticket open. They may also recommend dealers to help you.

2nd, the advise to call Affinity is good; 574-971-5543. Goshen is not that far out of your way. Even if a trip to Goshen is not possible, Affinity can offer advise. They can also perform warranty work but you have to get Keystone involved. Keystone may even send you to Affinity.

Best of luck.
Thank you. I didn't know I should open a ticket via Keystone first. I think I have an ongoing one as I've been in touch with them about all of our issues so far. But I'm going to call tomorrow to make sure.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:43 PM   #13
midwesternersgonerogue

M.O.C. #32449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Another dreaded Shwintek fail. The unit works fine on a small slide but not so much on large ones. There is a Lippert recall and recommended repair. Did your dealer preform the repair based on the bulletin?

Mine was completely rebuilt. Several issues, improper installation exceeding tolerances and Lippert has upgraded several components. See the bulletin attached. Some are ditching the system completely and installing a Vroom.

https://vroomslidesystems.com/

I still have problems with mine. I have to level my trailer from side to side using legos under the axles before I dare to open it. ANY twist or bow in the frame will cause it to bind. I would start there. LEVEL the unit and see if it works. Then find someone that will follow the bulletin. Good luck!

Link to the latest bulletin.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=87469

Unable to upload the doc. Site issue. Here is a link to an earlier bulletin. I'm unable to upload the latest.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=82
Dang, that stinks to hear the issue has continued for you. I've already debated going and getting a Vroom system installed on ours. Seems like it would be worth it. The Schwintek works fine in our front living room as those slides are smaller but the bedroom slide is bigger as you said. It seems to happen when we travel. Maybe leveling is the issue though. I'm not sure. There's definitely something going on with the gears chewing up the rails though. There are marks all over the rails. I hope they fix it for good. If not, it may be a Vroom system for us later this year.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:44 PM   #14
midwesternersgonerogue

M.O.C. #32449
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I’m sure you have been through a lot with this camper and you have a right to be disappointed. You wont to get Montana or whoever fixes it on your side. You need someone that will bend over backwards to help Please and thank you and being really nice will do that like nothing else can.
Lynwood
Any advice on who I could find to do that for me? Have you find anyone in Keystone like that? If so, I'd love to meet them!
Old 03-14-2023, 04:28 AM   #15
1wayhighway
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30465
Sorry for your headaches with the new trailer, hopefully you will get the service you need and deserve.

This is a great forum with a wealth of knowledge!

2022 3500 GMC Duramax
2022 3121 Montana
1wayhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:04 AM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
And.... I do think you have a slight misconception about dealers not wanting to do the work. I do agree that dealerships do not want to to do "warranty" work on a camper that is not purchased from them. BUT, if you are a cash paying customer, out of your own pocket, they will service you. And yes, the wait period for an appointment is unbelievable. So, even if your camper is under warranty, anything you can possibly fix or repair yourself is to your advantage. Some things are simply too big! And I agree, your slide situations does sound too big. But, if you are paying cash and not expecting Keystone to foot the bill, I know they'd work with you. But still, you'll have to wait!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:56 AM   #17
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I can tell after developing a relationship with my dealer that they only get paid for 50% of the labor that it actually takes to repair it. RV flat rate is ridiculous. So I can see why some wouldn't want to tackle it.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:49 PM   #18
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
RV quality coupled with poor, slow, service is a scandal.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:40 PM   #19
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
One other thing I would recommend….DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Document your phone calls with the dealer, date, time, and results of your call. Follow up with an email with your understanding of the next steps based on what the dealer told you. As other have said, dealers don't like warranty work because Keystone doesn’t pay what it costs them to do the work. If they know you are documenting everything they tend not to put you off when expecting results based on your conversations with them. Photos are also good back up. Your dealer is &who you bought your trailer from and they are obligated to fix warranty issues. Keystone can help if you get nowhere with your dealer. They can recommend other repair facilities. The Goshen IN. Dealer has an outstanding reputation, so they would be a good option. Your dealer makes all the difference in your experience with RV repairs so finding a good one can be chore. When doing warranty repairs, don’t wait to report them, and document when you notified your dealer of the issues. If your warranty expires while waiting to get repairs done they can’t say you are out of warranty because you reported the issues BEFORE the warranty expired. I sure hope this dealer takes care of you and good luck with your slide.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:53 AM   #20
catch up with the zzzz
Established Member

M.O.C. #23268
One thing to check with the schwintek slides are the control boxes in the basement next to the inverter. It can happen that the dip switches may have flipped and the motors ar running in opposite directions causing the slide to go sideways.
catch up with the zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bedroom slide, slide out