Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used several controllers prior to a Prodigy and was never satisfied with any of them. All of them seemed to require that I change the settings when the brakes were cold, then change them again once they warmed up. And at the end of a travel day when I'd hit the brakes they'd grab and I'd have to back off the controller once again. Next trip, go through the whole rigamarole again.

When the Prodigy first came out, the magazines commented it is a "set once and forget" controller. That sounded ideal, so I bought one. And they were right. Once I got it where I wanted it I never had to touch the settings again. To me, that alone is worth the price.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #22
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Steve and Art, thanks. With my old activator II I would just turn it all the way up then slowly release the manual lever untill i started to move, back off a little set it then all should be ok. Never could get it right and is the reason for the change. Everytime I came to a stop I felt as if the gerking trailer behind me was going to push me right on throught the light. Did you use the 25mph meathod for setup that the P3 dvd suggest? Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The 25 mph setup method is what is used by most folks. On the road I could setting if I felt like I needed more or less. My integrated controller works the same way.

If the brake controller is working right it should feel like it is dragging you backwards, not pushing your forward. If you feel like it's pushing you forward, then you probably need to increase your setting to brake more. This is hard for me to describe, because you don't want the brakes to work too hard on your trailer, just hard enough so the TV is not doing all the work.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, I didn't notice the speed and couldn't really go that fast in the rv park so just got it going decently and then pulled the handle like the manual suggests. On this 3400, no controller seems to lock up the wheels at that speed, not even when we had the Ford with the builtin controller. So I got it to where it seems to stop best. Then out on the road when I adjusted up or down a little until it was where I felt braking was plenty good without being too tight. Mine is set on 7.0 but use what works best for you. Good luck, it's a terrificly smooth controller. Almost, but not quite, as smooth as the Ford builtin controller.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #25
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
We installed a Jordan 2020 when we got the truck. It's been as reliable as a rock. It's proportional and very simple, unlike the brakesmart which requires tapping into your brake hydraulics.

Our last trip was to Paso Robles and we spent almost a full day diagnosing and finding a replacement Prodigy for one of our members. It toasted for no apparent reason. There may have been an intermittant short, the owner of the SOB is not big on maintanance.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #26
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
The problem with the Jordan 2020. which we had and loved, is that you can't get them anymore. We used ours for almost 8 years and we're fulltimers. We did quite a bit of research and after testing several went with the Max Brake. It works off your hydraulic line. We've been using it since January and we just love it. We never thought we would find anything better than the Jordan til we tried this. It is more expensive than the Jordan was before they stopped production but it is much more up to date. Diana
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote