Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Question ?slides don't work

Folks came in next to us in a 04 3650. Fulltimers, never heard of the MOC and do not own a computer. He had to bring his slides in and they do not move...no power.. he has power at the pedestal. He has 12V. The front legs work ok. Only thing I can think of is a bad 50 amp breaker the front compartment. He came in yesterday the slides went out OK. It is dark.. I told him we would look further in the AM..He is OK for now..I do have a spare 50 amp breaker if that is the problem.....What do you think?????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Breaker is first place to look. Also loose wires at motor. Remember there is the drill interface at the end of the pump if all else fails to run the pump.
Good luck let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I was told by lippert that the ground wire for the electric motor often gave problems too. The owners manual shows a selonoid on the motor as well.

Rich, you 'done good' trying to help that fellow.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Rich, You'll need a meter.
1) Measure the voltage from that 50 amp fuse where it connects to the solenoid(should be 12vdc to ground).
Yes...go to 2 below
No...check voltage on battery side of 50 amp fuse if 12vdc change fuse
2) Operate slide switch and check voltage on solenoid (little wire), one that is NOT going to chassis ground, should be 12vdc slide switch on
Yes...go to 3 below
No...pull slide switch and check connections, one should be 12vdc all time and others are sending voltage to solenoids at motor
3) Slide switch on, check big wire at motor, should be 12vdc
Yes...Confirm ground leg of motor is still connected to chassis ground
No...Solenoid is bad and not closing when energized

Let me know if this helps and confirm some of these tests...maybe I missed a branch and have to post more.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
and if you can try the drill fitting at the end of the motor and it does not work, then the pump itself is bad. That is what happened to ours, the dealer had to replace both the selenoid and the pump itself. Hope this helps and as others requested keep us informed. This is based only on what I found, I profess to be Sergeant Schultz when it come to the hydraulic workings of these beasts!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It got dark. They wanted to go to dinner and the slides are out. They need to take the Montana to suncoast Rv for repairs in a couple of days. Thanks for the advise and noneck I printed out your Trouble shooting procedure and will apply it tomorrow. I looked after they left and did find a loose wire on the motor.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have found a common problem is the wires on the pump solenoid. Given the assortment of things we store in the front storage compartment, it is way too easy to accidentally dislodge one (or more) of the connectors. They are simple spade males and the wires use a female connector which slips on. They often are not very tight. Make sure they are all connected and tight and I bet the problem goes away.

If it doesn't, NONECK has given you a great diagnostic process to follow.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
kroencke
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8171
We had a problem with our slides not going out a couple months ago. They replaced the pump solenoid. The glides worked. Then they quit working and ultimately we found the toggle on/off switch malfunctioned. They replaced that and all is fine.
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Using the T.S procedure above it looks like the solenoid is bad. They have a Mobil Rv service coming out.Their story..They have ben full timing for about 10 years and workamping. Disney in the winter and other places around the country in the summer. They got the Montana in 2004 and have had nothing but trouble with it.The latest is a string of electrical problems. They are totally fed up and put the Montana on Craigs list yesterday, are giving up full timing and Rv'ing and will buy a condo in Florida.. What I hear.. The Montana problems are problems we have all had but they have been unable to deal with them. They are tired of full timing and want to settle down. The problems are enough to justify that. They are very nice folks..retired USMC. I am parked under the USMC flag again and me a one time US army E-5.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
ARMY = Ain't Really Marine Yet.

Sorry Rich, just couldn't resist. It's just that inter-service rivalry thing.
And for you navy guys, the Marine Corps is a department of the navy. The Men's Department.
(Don't go there Junior Birdmen)
All that aside, for all those who have served, thank you.

Your day is coming in four days. Go out and have a free lunch somewhere. It's nice to be recoginzed as a veteran, and it is very nice of the restaurateurs to honor the veterans with a free lunch or dinner.

In my mind, your day is every day.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
When I was in the service I wanted no part of the Navy or Marines so I joined the Army. I figured I could walk further than I could swim.!!!!!!
Jar Heads and Swabbies its a joke so don't get upset.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had no choice since the draft was still on. I examined my options... Navy..If the ship sank where were you..I am not a good swimmer. If the aircraft failed at 35K feet where were you??? The marines consisted of a bunch of very brave young men who ran around yelling...kill..kill ..kill and were were always sent in to save the day..and they were all riflemen in those days..sounded hazardous to my health .Most of my buddies joined the Marines except for one who went navy. The US Army offered many "options" to fix bayonets and charge. I managed to get into the signal corps"who are those guys always riding in the trucks" ( Signal corps, was the reply) )I want to be one of them" said I. So I wound up in Korea 38th Parallel along the DMZ setting up Radar.. to track incoming mortar(Q-10_ radar.)...Good move Rich.. I was never in harms way (1956) but there were times????
Old 11-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This is a topic regarding sliding doors. Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RVWheels

This is a topic regarding sliding doors. Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

RVWheels

OK what about "sliding doors"?

Sorry about that..... the topic is about "slides" not sliding doors. Either way you need to stay on topic..... whatever the topic is.

Thanks,

RVWheels
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:56 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hi Rich, You'll need a meter.
1) Measure the voltage from that 50 amp fuse where it connects to the solenoid(should be 12vdc to ground).
Yes...go to 2 below.(HAD THIS)

No...check voltage on battery side of 50 amp fuse if 12vdc change fuse

2) Operate slide switch and check voltage on solenoid (little wire), one that is NOT going to chassis ground, should be 12vdc slide switch on
Yes...go to 3 below (Did not see this)

No...pull slide switch and check connections, one should be 12vdc all time and others are sending voltage to solenoids at motor
3) Slide switch on, check big wire at motor, should be 12vdc
Yes...Confirm ground leg of motor is still connected to chassis ground
No...Solenoid is bad and not closing when energized

Old 11-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Opps..Dont know how I got so far off topic..I did not realize I had posted that on this thread..... Anyhow..
The Mobil tech was out and their slides now work.. I did not interfere and the tech was there for a long time. This is the story relayed to me by the Montana owners..

I had noticed that the fuse marked "bedroom" in their fuse panel was missing When I asked why they said that the bedroom lights did not work and that fuse blew when replaced...Ok short somewhere But I thought that was another issue not related to the slides.

The Rv tech had no success with the slides so addressed the no lights in the bedroom problem. He raised the bed and the cover panel and discovered that the gaggle of wires under there had been caught up in the slide mechanism and some were severed..He spliced them together and the fuse did not blow, the lights worked..and so did the slides??? I am assuming that one of the severed wires belonged to the slide switch which was news to me. They have a 04 3650...