Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2023, 04:13 PM   #1
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Step selection

One of the mods I'm considering this spring is installing a set of the flip up steps that extend to the ground. I would welcome any feedback pro or con anyone cares to offer.

We aren't full timers, typically spend 3 months or so in the rig per year. We are both in early 70s and have had several joint replacements and orthopedic surgeries between us. No real mobility issues yet.

I'm trying to decide between the MORyde step above and the Lippert solid step. The Lippert is more expensive but not enough to be a game changer to me. I do like the deeper treads on the Lippert. Installation appears to be pretty much the same on both brands. One thing that really stood out to me was the optional storage box you can install into the void removal of the OEM steps leaves; the MORyde is about half the price of the Lippert. There is no need to have to use the same brand for this option. It looks like MORyde is the only manufacturer that makes a motion activated tread light kit. It installs with double sided tape, so should work on any brand.

Again; any thoughts, experiences, or feedback would be most appreciated.

Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:01 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have the MorRyde in our 2021 Montana. This seems to be like which mattress you prefer - it depends on who you talk to. We love the MorRyde and have friends that love the Glo Steps. My advice would be to go visit an RV dealer and try them out. MorRyde makes two accessories- a hand rail attached to the steps and one that swings out from the side of the camper that you may also be interested in to make entry even easier. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:27 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We have the OEM Morryde in our unit, but that wide first step at the top of the Lippert steps sure feels safe to us. We have only stepped on one at at an RV show couple of years ago, but have not considered replacing the Morryde yet.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:57 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You don't give what rig you have, but we have the Torklift steps and they are as solid as any of the new style steps with easy installation. If you have the regular steps, the Glowstep Revolution works great, has an accessory handrail that also works well. Up to four steps is rated at 375 lbs capacity with the Glowguide handrail. https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution#specs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TorkLift steps and handrail.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	13999  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:20 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I agree with Bob (above) but I too have the Glowsteps. It does eliminate the issues with inside the coach steps (dirt and door damage) and are very stable.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:44 AM   #6
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Glow steps for me, about the best improvement I've done. Per the specs from Glow step I went with the five step. Very easy four bolt replacement, fit right in the old bracket.
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:04 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I personally like the new steps that fold into the trailer. Adding this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719PT8N1...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 02-05-2023, 02:34 PM   #8
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
We have the MORyrde steps and the work fine. Downside is access to the trailer can be a challenge in storage if another rv is parked close to your trailer since it requires more space to extend it to grade.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:24 PM   #9
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
If the ground is unlevel with the high side on the door side of the rig, you'll have a problem. After you level the rig, the steps won't go down far enough to be able to close the door. I've had to dig a hole for the steps to fit into a couple of times (campgroundss don't like that!) If the door side is the low side, you can easily extend the legs to reach the ground.
On either brand, be sure to get the hydraulic or spring assist, as these steps can be heavy.
If you want the built-in handrail, be sure there is enough clearance inside for walls or cabinets when the rail comes in.
2014 RAM 2500HD SLT LB 4x4 6.4L SRW
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:05 PM   #10
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
I have the torque lift glow steps. They are great for tight areas. I can open them all the way out in a foot of space. I don’t have to worry about them when I’m in storage or somebody’s real close to me. I can also adjust to a curb very easily or a parking lot . Best of all there solid. I had the fold up stairs inside the door and couldn’t stand them.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:45 PM   #11
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
The reason the manufacturer companies went with ground is that they are safer and if you still want the flip up you should be able to buy from a supplier very cheap.
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:23 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ed, it would help if you told us what year your Montana is and if it is newer with the MorRyde or Lippert fold down steps. If it has those steps and not the storage area under the door it cannot use the fold up steps like Bob has pictured. I also have the Glowsteps and will not go back to anything else. Easy foldup and easy storage and lock in place.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:54 AM   #13
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Our MHC came with the MORryde steps to which we mounted one of their handrails directly to the steps. We've had no issues with unlevel sites or the issue of close quarters at storage facilities since we park ours on our property when not in use. Cleaning the steps and the associated area inside the entry door when storing the steps for travel can be a pain. Otherwise no complaints. I still need to remember to pick up a spare ball stud for the lift assist strut. I've heard of the ball studs snapping off and these steps are heavy.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:47 AM   #14
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Our MHC came with the MORryde steps to which we mounted one of their handrails directly to the steps. We've had no issues with unlevel sites or the issue of close quarters at storage facilities since we park ours on our property when not in use. Cleaning the steps and the associated area inside the entry door when storing the steps for travel can be a pain. Otherwise no complaints. I still need to remember to pick up a spare ball stud for the lift assist strut. I've heard of the ball studs snapping off and these steps are heavy.
Where did you get the ball stud? I need to order one.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:33 PM   #15
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Ed, it would help if you told us what year your Montana is and if it is newer with the MorRyde or Lippert fold down steps. If it has those steps and not the storage area under the door it cannot use the fold up steps like Bob has pictured. I also have the Glowsteps and will not go back to anything else. Easy foldup and easy storage and lock in place.
My rig is a 2017 model 3661RL, If the OEM steps had a manufacturer's label it's worn off now. For some reason I'm thinking they are Moryde.

I appreciate all the feedback you guys have provided. I actually had not heard of the Glowstep product, I'm going to take a look at them now.

For you guys that have replaced your steps; how do you get a wrench on the back carriage bolt nuts? There has to be maybe an inch of clearance there at most. Do you weld a long handle on an open end wrench?
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:19 PM   #16
Bladescb
Established Member

M.O.C. #29195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
My rig is a 2017 model 3661RL, If the OEM steps had a manufacturer's label it's worn off now. For some reason I'm thinking they are Moryde.

I appreciate all the feedback you guys have provided. I actually had not heard of the Glowstep product, I'm going to take a look at them now.

For you guys that have replaced your steps; how do you get a wrench on the back carriage bolt nuts? There has to be maybe an inch of clearance there at most. Do you weld a long handle on an open end wrench?
I'll give another vote for TorkLift Glowstep. They are very solid and feel great when walking on them. My wife feels better on them after knee replacement. They were first installed on a Jayco and then moved to the Montana. And yes, I did weld an extension onto an open-end wrench to gain access to the nut!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_150528.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	14030  

2016 Montana 3710FL
2018 Ford F350 SRW
Bladescb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:02 PM   #17
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Since this is probably our last camper my response is probably not relevant but here are my observation on the solid steps. Can't get them down where I have stored the camper for the last ten years unless the camper beside us happens to be out. Have observed several people in rest areas that couldn't get in their camper for lunch or bathroom breaks. As my age advances the day will come I won't be able to lift them if the strut fails. (a fairly common occurrence based on what I hear on the forum. Most importantly DW says hell no. You're not dumping all the grit from the steps inside my entry way.
Even though I will never own them I'll finish on a positive note, they are pretty solid when deployed.
JMHO
Old 02-06-2023, 03:19 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
...For you guys that have replaced your steps; how do you get a wrench on the back carriage bolt nuts?
I undid the J Wrap panel at the bottom which allowed me to get my arm up inside where the nut was.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:32 PM   #19
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Ball Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Where did you get the ball stud? I need to order one.
The attachment was provided by Dayrels. Had to go hunting for the thread. I believe these are also available from Fastenal
Attached Images

Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:37 PM   #20
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
The attachment was provided by Dayrels. Had to go hunting for the thread. I believe these are also available from Fastenal
Thanks!