Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2023, 11:26 AM   #1
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Using A Non-Pressurized Water Source

I apologize if this is the incorrect forum or if similar info already exists in the message boards. In my defense, I'm bad at searching and during hide and go seek, lost one of kids for a couple years.

I'm full timing in my 2017 3721RL at a park with 50 amp service, but it has no water or sewer, yet. I can cheaply and easily transport in IBC totes full of potable water, but need to pressurize it.

Is the onboard pump made for this purpose or is it only meant to fill the fresh water tank?

TimBobUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:56 AM   #2
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
I am not sure, But I do not thick it will. When we boondock I fill our RV tank with a RV water pump and bladder I picked up from Camping world. Just put a hose adaptor on the bottom of your tote and attach a hose to the pump then another hose to the RV main water input. You will also need to supply 12VDC to the pump. It will maintain pressure on the system. OR you just use it to fill the RV tank and use your onboard pump. If you have questions, you can contact me directly.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:56 AM   #3
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
You can use the onboard pump with some tricky hose connections but its very slow and will shorten the pumps life. Since your stationary, I would opt for a small 120v pump and pump from the IBC tote to camper.
Creeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:05 PM   #4
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Mary View Post
I am not sure, But I do not thick it will.
That's what I thought too and anything I found mentioned using the onboard pump to fill the FWT, not maintain pressure.

I have one 12v pump, but need it for another application. If you have any suggestions on pumps, I'd appreciate them.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:10 PM   #5
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
You can use the onboard pump with some tricky hose connections but its very slow and will shorten the pumps life.
I was betting the onboard would die a lot sooner with this config, and I appreciate you confirming it. I hadn't considered a 120v pump, but I will now. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2023, 12:55 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I see no reason you couldn’t set a tank outside and run a hose to it and pump water directly out of it. That is what your 12 volt pump does now. If it doesn’t pump enough to the tractor supply and put a pump at the tank. They have a high and low pressure cut off out of the box. I use these pumps all the time in the summer to spray weed on the farm.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:59 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Buy a 12V pump from Harbor Freight for around $35 and you will be good to go. I have had mine for 15 years and it is still pumping.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 01:31 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
120 AC volt water transfer pump from Lowe's Home Improvement.
35 gallon water tank and spigot attached (bought separate) from Tractor Supply Company (TSC).
I have a 400 Watt inverter I keep in the truck all the time in the event I do not have AC electricity. Both AC 120 and DC 12 volt (battery) with the inverter work the pump quite satisfactory. I've been doing it this way for several years now. I am on my 2nd pump now.

It works well for filling a gravity fill water port, or the garden hose attachment-flip the valve to "fill" hook up.

(Just an FYI, I tried using my on-board water pump, even the winterizing port directly from a water container. I could never figure out a way to get the on-board to pull water from anywhere except the fresh water tank or the winterizing hook up.)

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:09 PM   #9
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I see no reason you couldn’t set a tank outside and run a hose to it and pump water directly out of it. That is what your 12 volt pump does now. If it doesn’t pump enough to the tractor supply and put a pump at the tank. They have a high and low pressure cut off out of the box. I use these pumps all the time in the summer to spray weed on the farm.
Lynwood
My challenge was not knowing what the onboard pump would really do, but all y'all have convinced me to go buy a pump for this task. I'm going to set the IBC tote on the ground, connect a hose from that to a pump that's not out in the weather, and then into the "city water" connector on the RV.

I think I'll buy this one, since it's NSF certified and is rated for potable water. My IBC totes are food grade and all my adapters, etc. are rated for potable water.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...074_200249074#
Old 01-19-2023, 03:12 PM   #10
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Buy a 12V pump from Harbor Freight for around $35 and you will be good to go. I have had mine for 15 years and it is still pumping.
I have one of those for another purpose. I'm trying to make sure the solution can be considered fully potable, and will double check the specs on the pump from HF. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2023, 03:14 PM   #11
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

(Just an FYI, I tried using my on-board water pump, even the winterizing port directly from a water container. I could never figure out a way to get the on-board to pull water from anywhere except the fresh water tank or the winterizing hook up.)
Two more things I didn't consider! Thanks for those and for the pics!
Old 01-19-2023, 03:25 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What will your on board pump do. If your remote pump supplies pressure the on board will do nothing. Just like when you are hooked to any water system.
Lynwood
Old 01-19-2023, 03:44 PM   #13
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
What will your on board pump do. If your remote pump supplies pressure the on board will do nothing. Just like when you are hooked to any water system.
Lynwood
Good, because that's what I'm looking to accomplish. I am and always have been bad with any and all kind of plumbing. The more I tinker, the better I'll get, hopefully.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:51 PM   #14
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When I got set up for using a water bladder, I purchased a pump from HF, and I also got a 7 way trailer plug that I wired the pump to so I could plug it into the trailer receptacle in the bed of the truck. I also needed a female to female hose fitting so the hoses would face the proper direction as the pump is set up with male fittings on both sides. Once setup, it's real easy to haul water and fill your tank when dry camping.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:56 PM   #15
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I also got a 7 way trailer plug that I wired the pump to so I could plug it into the trailer receptacle in the bed of the truck.
I almost feel like I should paying all y'all for all this info. Again, something I'd never thought of.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBobUSA View Post
I almost feel like I should paying all y'all for all this info. Again, something I'd never thought of.

I’ll send my bank account information.
Lynwood
Old 01-19-2023, 04:21 PM   #17
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
I’ll send my bank account information.
Lynwood
New phone. Who dis?
Old 01-20-2023, 09:15 AM   #18
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
To answer your OP, IBC are doable. People here in northern idaho do it all the time. A little prep has to be done in the winter as we have temps near 0 degrees at times.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:37 AM   #19
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
To answer your OP, IBC are doable. People here in northern idaho do it all the time. A little prep has to be done in the winter as we have temps near 0 degrees at times.
We don't get that cold here in southern NC, but it's a good heads up, in case anyone else reads this thread.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:35 PM   #20
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Make sure you fully sanitize (and keep sanitized) your fresh water system, from bladders to pumps, hoses to fresh water tanks, hot and cold piping, especially if you plan to drink the standing water. Frankly I would never drink my fresh tank water, even after bleaching the system. For showering/dishes/brushing teeth only. Even Fido gets bottled when we aren’t connected to city water. And, we only drink city water that has been boiled (an electric tea kettle works perfectly).
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote