Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #21
Zinnman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15824
Goodyear

I’m currently running Goodyear Endurance with no issues or concerns. I had the Trailer Kings at the beginning and I had no issues with them. I always watch my shoulders and any area where tire damage can occur. That, along with not busting my ba..s to get somewhere help. But, Forrest Gump taught us all a valuable truth, sometimes **** Happens.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #22
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
CalandLinda goes by the book. The rest of us change from 80s to 85s with little hesitation or regard to the rules. We're rebels, doncha know.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #23
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
CalandLinda goes by the book. The rest of us change from 80s to 85s with little hesitation or regard to the rules. We're rebels, doncha know.
When you opted to use 85s in place of OE 80s, you "plus sized your tires. Did you follow the industry wide standards for plus sizing?
Old 10-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #24
Kodiak56

M.O.C. #23741
Transeagle makes a very comparable G-rated tire to the Sailun for a little less $$. Both come from China so its hard to steer clear of that downside.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #25
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak56 View Post
Transeagle makes a very comparable G-rated tire to the Sailun for a little less $$. Both come from China so its hard to steer clear of that downside.
The China ST tire manufacturers are very dynamic in upgrading to the needs of the RV trailering community. In addition to their 16" all steel tires, TransEagle have 2 all steel 15" tires. One a LRF and the other a LRG.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #26
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
When you opted to use 85s in place of OE 80s, you "plus sized your tires. Did you follow the industry wide standards for plus sizing?
Thats twice you have stated " Did you follow the industry wide standards for plus sizing. Its great to ask ,but I am, me included do not have a clue. Why don't you give us the standards for upsizing.

As one said we are rebels ,with no regard for the rules.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:26 AM   #27
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Thats twice you have stated " Did you follow the industry wide standards for plus sizing. Its great to ask ,but I am, me included do not have a clue. Why don't you give us the standards for upsizing.

As one said we are rebels ,with no regard for the rules.
Tire industry rules, regulations, and standards support safety. To completely disregard them is unwise and irresponsible.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:50 AM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
What is unwise is leaving any tire that has a history of blowouts on your camper. If Upsizing gives you more weight capacity and doesn't cause any rubbing problems I say go for it.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:04 AM   #29
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Tire industry rules, regulations, and standards support safety. To completely disregard them is unwise and irresponsible.

Give us a break! I think we have had way more then enough of your preaching on numerous RV sites. There is no rule or regulation on upsizing if the form fit and function are equal or better then what the manufacturer supplies on any vehicle. Yes, I did the search. The manufacturer supplies the lowest cost part that will meet (often barely) the needs of a particular vehicle.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #30
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
biGGer is bETter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Give us a break! I think we have had way more then enough of your preaching on numerous RV sites. There is no rule or regulation on upsizing if the form fit and function are equal or better then what the manufacturer supplies on any vehicle. Yes, I did the search. The manufacturer supplies the lowest cost part that will meet (often barely) the needs of a particular vehicle.
I think this truck fits your description of what`s OK to use. But I wouldn`t drive around with this set up. If you stay within the manufactures speciation's your safe , go out side that, maybe. He`s not preaching just stating facts. Others? just opinions, often wrong.
Attached Images

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
Old 10-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #31
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
biGGer is bETter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
I think this truck fits your description of what`s OK to use. But I wouldn`t drive around with this set up. If you stay within the manufactures speciation's your safe , go out side that, maybe. He`s not preaching just stating facts. Others? just opinions, often wrong.
Or maybe this one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monster2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	7637  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
Old 10-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #32
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Years ago I was told by a Tire Dealer that they could not install a lesser tire than spec'd by the MFR, but there was no problem installing an Equal or Better Than tire. Got this info when I was upgrading tires on my 1966 Vette from Bias Ply tires to Radial tires.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #33
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak56 View Post
I put a set of Transeagle on my fiver about a year ago. IMHO they are very comparable to Sailun. Just replaced my 5 year old F rated spare with a new Transeagle so there will be no issues if the spare is needed.

Simple Tire sells both. I called them to find out if there was any differences between the two. Was told they have exactly the same construction except the Transeagle has a higher speed rating.

I used to be in the wheel repair business, and was able to purchase them wholesale from our old distributer. Saved a bunch of $$$ as compared to buying Sailuns.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #34
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
As said lets have the rules for upsizing , not just its unwise or irresponsible. I think you know as well as we do, nothing unwise or irresponsible about gaining some weight rating, and a safer tire. Only one drawback ,and as said if they rub. If you have correct size wheels that are rated for 110 psi, not a problem.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #35
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I put a set of Transeagle on my fiver about a year ago. IMHO they are very comparable to Sailun. Just replaced my 5 year old F rated spare with a new Transeagle so there will be no issues if the spare is needed.

Simple Tire sells both. I called them to find out if there was any differences between the two. Was told they have exactly the same construction except the Transeagle has a higher speed rating.

I used to be in the wheel repair business, and was able to purchase them wholesale from our old distributer. Saved a bunch of $$$ as compared to buying Sailuns.
As I said in a previous post ,I thing as time goes on there is going to several of these all steel ST's that are going to be a quality tire. Sailun just happened to be one of the earlier ones ,and has proven itself.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #36
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
"There is no rule or regulation on upsizing if the form fit and function are equal or better then what the manufacturer supplies on any vehicle. Yes, I did the search. The manufacturer supplies the lowest cost part that will meet (often barely) the needs of a particular vehicle."

I partially agree with what is said in the paragraph above. However, it’s out of context and incomplete. You just can’t take out the parts you dislike and use what you like from what’s left in limbo.

This is the major industry standard for replacement tires: Replacement tires should be the same as the OE size designation -- or approved options -- as recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer. Never choose a replacement tire of a smaller tire size with less load carrying capacity than the OE tire size at the specified vehicle placard pressure. Under certain circumstances, a vehicle manufacturer may recommend or permit a specific substitute tire size and its recommended cold inflation pressure.

OH, look, it says, tire manufacturer. Well, they apply the same standards as the vehicle manufacturer.

NHTSA has recognized the importance of the standardization for replacement tires and has mandated an excerpt from the standards to be placed in all vehicle owners’ manuals. It reads; to maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.

"We live in a capitalistic country. Large manufacturers and of goods and equipment that consist of OEM parts all practice ordering from the lowest bidder. Alan B. Sheppard mused about that when he set atop a rocket about to be launched into space."

I partially agree with what is said in the paragraph above. However, it’s out of context and incomplete. You just can’t take out the parts you dislike and use what you like from what’s left in limbo.

This is the major industry standard for replacement tires: Replacement tires should be the same as the OE size designation -- or approved options -- as recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer. Never choose a replacement tire of a smaller tire size with less load carrying capacity than the OE tire size at the specified vehicle placard pressure. Under certain circumstances, a vehicle manufacturer may recommend or permit a specific substitute tire size and its recommended cold inflation pressure.

OH, look, it says tire manufacturer. Well, they apply the same standards as the vehicle manufacturer.

NHTSA has recognized the importance of the standardization for replacement tires and has mandated an excerpt from the standards to be placed in all vehicle owners’ manuals. It reads; to maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.

We live in a capitalistic country. Large manufacturers and of goods and equipment that consist of OEM parts all practice ordering from the lowest bidder. Alan B. Sheppard mused about that when he set atop a rocket about to be launched into space.

The rules for the manufacturers selection of Original Equipment tires recognizes that policy and directs the vehicle manufacturer to use tires that are appropriate for use on a particular trailer’s GAWRs. Because tire specifications for designated tire size and load are standardized, brands are never mentioned.

It's important to remember that the standards (FMVSS) the trailer manufacturer MUST apply when building RV trailers is written to insure they meet industry minimum standards.

An important clue to tire sizes is they all conform to the description; DESIGNATED size. This is a designated size; ST225/75R15, nothing, more or less.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #37
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
As I said in a previous post ,I thing as time goes on there is going to several of these all steel ST's that are going to be a quality tire. Sailun just happened to be one of the earlier ones ,and has proven itself.
Shop around, almost all of the off shore ST tire manufacturers now build two 16" all steel LRG tires. About half of them already have a 15" LRF tire on the market and at least one has a 15" LRG.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #38
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
"There is no rule or regulation on upsizing if the form fit and function are equal or better then what the manufacturer supplies on any vehicle. Yes, I did the search. The manufacturer supplies the lowest cost part that will meet (often barely) the needs of a particular vehicle."

OH, look, it says, tire manufacturer. Well, they apply the same standards as the vehicle manufacturer.

"We live in a capitalistic country. Large manufacturers and of goods and equipment that consist of OEM parts all practice ordering from the lowest bidder. Alan B. Sheppard mused about that when he set atop a rocket about to be launched into space."

OH, look, it says tire manufacturer. Well, they apply the same standards as the vehicle manufacturer.

We live in a capitalistic country. Large manufacturers and of goods and equipment that consist of OEM parts all practice ordering from the lowest bidder. Alan B. Sheppard mused about that when he set atop a rocket about to be launched into space.

The rules for the manufacturers selection of Original Equipment tires recognizes that policy and directs the vehicle manufacturer to use tires that are appropriate for use on a particular trailer’s GAWRs. Because tire specifications for designated tire size and load are standardized, brands are never mentioned.

It's important to remember that the standards (FMVSS) the trailer manufacturer MUST apply when building RV trailers is written to insure they meet industry minimum standards.

An important clue to tire sizes is they all conform to the description; DESIGNATED size. This is a designated size; ST225/75R15, nothing, more or less.
Well this has gotten a bit silly ,considering the subject ,and I will repeat we are upgrading from an 80 to an 85, higher weight rating . Please point out a problem as pertaining to safety . Wheels are adequate, they handle the 110 psi .I won't overload the axles ,therefore I will not overload the wheels ,nor the tires . No safety problem involved going 85's over 80's
Old 10-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #39
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Well this has gotten a bit silly ,considering the subject ,and I will repeat we are upgrading from an 80 to an 85, higher weight rating . Please point out a problem as pertaining to safety . Wheels are adequate, they handle the 110 psi .I won't overload the axles ,therefore I will not overload the wheels ,nor the tires . No safety problem involved going 85's over 80's
Again, I will ask you, have you complied with the procedure for plus sizing your tires up from your vehicles OE designated size?
Old 10-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #40
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
There must be thousands and thousands of Outlaws out on the road, because you can't drive anywhere and not see different or oversized tires and even wheels on thousands and thousands of vehicles. I fall into the category myself because on our last RV I replaced the GY G614 that came from the MFR with GY 17.5" G114s that were not an option at that time, heaven forbid my RV is going to crash and burn because I put better tires on it.
I agree it's irresponsible to put lesser tires on anything, but We the owners are not held to the same standards as the MFRs are or we'll all be in Jail.
Closed Thread