Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
Montana_2195

M.O.C. #2195
Skydome

I have a 2002 Montana 2955RL with a Skydome over the shower. Heavy snow caused a limb in a pine tree to break off and shatter the external Plexiglass cover. Could some one please tell me the best/easiest means to remove the sealant from the rubber roof to be able to remove the cover and replace it. I live in the Sierras and the unit is winterized and I really don't want to take it to a dealer in the valley due to very heavily snow covered roads. Thanks in advance.

Montana_2195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sierra Bob

I have a 2002 Montana 2955RL with a Skydome over the shower. Heavy snow caused a limb in a pine tree to break off and shatter the external Plexiglass cover. Could some one please tell me the best/easiest means to remove the sealant from the rubber roof to be able to remove the cover and replace it. I live in the Sierras and the unit is winterized and I really don't want to take it to a dealer in the valley due to very heavily snow covered roads. Thanks in advance.
I have done this a couple of times, and carefuly used a putty knife to remove the sealent. It takes a fair amount of time to do carefully, but the colder it is, the easier in my opinion.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Sierra Bob

Like Mazeeff said it is a tough job, I also used a putty knife just take it slow not to cut the rubber roof. The only thing is I replaced my vent and put in a power vent and no leaks, it doesn't take allot of caulking, just needs to be in the right spot. Good Luck

Larry & LaVonne
Old 04-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
Montana_2195

M.O.C. #2195
Thanks. I've been told to use a plastic putty knife so as to not cut the roofing material. Also to use Dicor lap sealant, not silicon to seal the new dome.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Sierra Bob

I would go a different route when replacing the dome.Forget the sealant and get some "eternabond tape"You`ll never have to recaulk.And the Eternabond tape is forgiving in case you do but a rip in the rubber roof.Just cover the seam with the tape and use a small rollar to give it a good bond to the rubber.No more leaks and no more recaulking.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If it is the same caulk as they used on our bathroom vent, I was able to remove it by just peeling it off with my fingers, not easy, but was able to do it. Nervous about sharp tools on the rubber roof. I used polyurethane marine caulk for the replacement, but the eternabond tabe sounds like a good idea too.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Montana_2195

M.O.C. #2195
Harleyrider--Thanks. I have 60 ft. of eternabond tape and the roller, but Keystone told me specifically to use the Dicor lap sealant.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sierra Bob

Harleyrider--Thanks. I have 60 ft. of eternabond tape and the roller, but Keystone told me specifically to use the Dicor lap sealant.
A couple of thoughts here. I have used a lot of Eternabond on my old trailer. It works great for sealing stuborn leaks, but in this case, I would not recommend it. Once applied, Eternabond is near impossible to remove. I once used a 6 foot piece of it, and got to the end, with it being a little crooked. I tried to peel it up and reposition, but could not do it! If you ever needed to replace that skylight a 2nd time (heaven forbid), you would be hard pressed to remove that Eternabond without tearing up the rubber roof. Also, Keystone is correct about the Dicor lap sealant. Any other sealant has the possibility of eating up the rubber on the roof. I think I read that Latex is especially bad. Stick with the Dicor, and you'll end up with a job that will replicate the original installation.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
Montana_2195

M.O.C. #2195
In my case, I don't think Eternabond would work anyway since It won"t be a smooth surface that I will be applying it on.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Sierra Bob,
I was told to use a heat gun or hair dryer on the eternabond tape when applying over a coarse surface. The heat makes the tape much softer and ply-able. I have used it on rubber with no ill effects.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
Montana_2195

M.O.C. #2195
Thanks Thunderman---When I say "not a smooth surface", I mean I will be going over a flange and screw heads as well as the rubber roof. I have the Eternabond tape (60') but I also have five tubes of Dicor which I will use at Keystone's recommendation, once I get the old Dicor off. At the present time, I'm waiting for a new external Skydome to be received from Keystone. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the broken Skydome until I took the trailer cover off. Even more unfortunately I got water (rain and snow melt) between the outer roof and inner ceiling via the broken Skydome after seeping through the cover. Fortunately the front was much lower than the back and the water ran to the front void and out when I leveled the trailer. I've put a hair dryer in the roof/ceiling gap to hopefully dry it out before the new external Skydome arrives. Regards. Sierra Bob
Old 04-07-2005, 04:03 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I had a slight roof leak at a front corner just aft of the cap retaining piece where rain was "pooling". I used the Dicor lap sealant as recommended up against the metal strip, then placed Eternabond over that with an inch or so on each side contacting the EPDM roof surface itself. I haven't been in a situation yet to verify no leak, but if it was from where I think it was, it's a done deal for many years to come !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote