Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2020, 05:45 AM   #1
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Carry 200lb grill on hitch?

I’m picking up a brand new 2020 3740FK in a week. We are taking it straight to a local state park for a week to break it/us in as we are newbies. I would like to mount a cargo platform hitch to the receiver on the rear of my 3740. I have a Weber grill I like to cook on which weighs 215lbs propane included. Does anyone currently do this and what tips/recommendations can you make? I’m mostly concerned about the grill bouncing off so how are you securing it? Any suggestions for a heavy duty platform hitch? Any suggestions for mounting cargo tie downs on the rear of the 5’er? Thanks for any info, pictures of your rear mounted grill setup appreciated.

Detroit Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I would get some ratchet straps for something that heavy. Now remember when you are bouncing down the road something that weighs that much gets heavier once it starts bouncing. So when you decide on a hitch make sure that it will carry at least 500 pounds. There is a thread about someone wanting a hitch on the back of there rig. I strongly recommend grade 8 bolts. 1/2" or bigger. I dont like welds at the connecting point to the frame. I do like making a frame or platform that is welded.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Your camper is a little over 40 feet long and just due to the length the end of your camper will experience an incredible amount of bounce. Simple physics based on the position of the axles and the length of distance to the end. Lots of bouncing back there. Anything you hang off the end is going to experience a tremendous amount of abuse. Imagine your grill going through a several hour earthquake? An earthquake is probably mild, compared to the forces experienced by anything hanging even farther than the end length of your camper.

Also, looking at your floor plan, you have a cargo area in the rear, on a sliding try. At least according to Keystone's floor plan of your model. By attaching a cargo carrier, when you need to access that area, you'll have to remove the carrier, and then when traveling, put it back on. It's just something to think about.

I have a cargo carrier I used on my last 2 travel trailers. I carried plastic simulated steamer trunks on the carrier filled with sewer hoses, and my garden hoses for water supply. And in the event of rain, it was a good place to put my ground mats when they were wet after breaking camp. More weight than that, I'd never put one.

But one problem I also experienced was the side to side rocking of the carrier, which was horrible. The with of the carrier was about 5 feet, and when slid into the receiver hitch, it had a horrible about of rocking left-to-right. Not only bouncing up and down from the length of the trailer, but now side-to-side up-and-down, as the shaft for the carrier had too much slop in the receiver hitch (on 3 different campers). When I had a bumper, I was able to build supports to keep it from rocking. But my current MHC 375FL does not have a bumper and the slop in the hitch lets the carrier rock (on the ends, almost 6 inches up and 6 inches down. That means, not only bouncing up and down, but also rocking back and forth an entire foot, side-to-side. Anything carried on that carrier now, is doomed to get destroyed. So, my current MHC 375FL??? I do not use the carrier at all any more.

I guess what I'm saying is, I do not recommend you use a carrier on your's either.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Your camper is a little over 40 feet long and just due to the length the end of your camper will experience an incredible amount of bounce. Simple physics based on the position of the axles and the length of distance to the end. Lots of bouncing back there. Anything you hang off the end is going to experience a tremendous amount of abuse. Imagine your grill going through a several hour earthquake? An earthquake is probably mild, compared to the forces experienced by anything hanging even farther than the end length of your camper.

Also, looking at your floor plan, you have a cargo area in the rear, on a sliding try. At least according to Keystone's floor plan of your model. By attaching a cargo carrier, when you need to access that area, you'll have to remove the carrier, and then when traveling, put it back on. It's just something to think about.

I have a cargo carrier I used on my last 2 travel trailers. I carried plastic simulated steamer trunks on the carrier filled with sewer hoses, and my garden hoses for water supply. And in the event of rain, it was a good place to put my ground mats when they were wet after breaking camp. More weight than that, I'd never put one.

But one problem I also experienced was the side to side rocking of the carrier, which was horrible. The with of the carrier was about 5 feet, and when slid into the receiver hitch, it had a horrible about of rocking left-to-right. Not only bouncing up and down from the length of the trailer, but now side-to-side up-and-down, as the shaft for the carrier had too much slop in the receiver hitch (on 3 different campers). When I had a bumper, I was able to build supports to keep it from rocking. But my current MHC 375FL does not have a bumper and the slop in the hitch lets the carrier rock (on the ends, almost 6 inches up and 6 inches down. That means, not only bouncing up and down, but also rocking back and forth an entire foot, side-to-side. Anything carried on that carrier now, is doomed to get destroyed. So, my current MHC 375FL??? I do not use the carrier at all any more.

I guess what I'm saying is, I do not recommend you use a carrier on your's either.
That’s darn good advice from an experienced RV’er. Thank you! I need another solution, perhaps the bed of my truck if it fits.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I would get some ratchet straps for something that heavy. Now remember when you are bouncing down the road something that weighs that much gets heavier once it starts bouncing. So when you decide on a hitch make sure that it will carry at least 500 pounds. There is a thread about someone wanting a hitch on the back of there rig. I strongly recommend grade 8 bolts. 1/2" or bigger. I dont like welds at the connecting point to the frame. I do like making a frame or platform that is welded.
Thank you, the advice I’ve received has changed my opinion. I think it’s not a good idea.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Don View Post
Thank you, the advice I’ve received has changed my opinion. I think it’s not a good idea.

I think you are right.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
That’s darn good advice from an experienced RV’er. Thank you! I need another solution, perhaps the bed of my truck if it fits.

Getting it to fit might be the problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I don't know if it was mentioned, but these trailers sit pretty low. You'll have to take driveway approaches cautiously when entering or exiting. Anything else attached to the back like a bike carrier or cargo carrier, has the potential of dragging.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:

You made the right choice.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If your trailer is riding at proper height at the rear you should have good clearance. You can actually fabricate a platform that raises upward creating clearance in which the trailer would drag before the platform. Whatever load you place on the platform should be fastened securely. There is not so much bounce that damage will occur. Think about it, what is in the back of the trailer? A couch, tv, a kitchen? Are those things being shaken apart? How could something mounted two feet away outside be bounced to bits? I've had two similar platforms and had no problems.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #11
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
If your trailer is riding at proper height at the rear you should have good clearance. You can actually fabricate a platform that raises upward creating clearance in which the trailer would drag before the platform. Whatever load you place on the platform should be fastened securely. There is not so much bounce that damage will occur. Think about it, what is in the back of the trailer? A couch, tv, a kitchen? Are those things being shaken apart? How could something mounted two feet away outside be bounced to bits? I've had two similar platforms and had no problems.
Well, I think I heard some good advice. Particularly the part about my pull out storage being blocked by the potential platform hitch. I found a good reason to buy a new portable smoker that fits easily in the bed of the truck. I do wish I could bring along my Weber but I’d hate to damage it or cause issues with my new RV. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-20-2020, 04:25 AM   #12
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
Food for thought. I carry a Traeger Tailgater in my basement Storage. I also just bought a Webber q2000 that I am currently carrying in the bed of the truck. The grill works great but, so does the Traeger. I think with a little rearranging when I get the camper back out I can squeeze the Webber into one of the storage compartments or, maybe by the tailgate. No room in front of the hitch.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Gotta love that Traeger on the road. I have one at home with an aftermarket controller and a higher rpm auger motor. I considered mounting it on the back of the trailer on a hitch that would swing out away from the trailer. That way I wouldn't have to pick it up and move it all the time.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #14
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post

Or you could use theses items to raise the platform and stabilize the hitch from rocking. This is what I use and no dragging issues. The only problem I had was the bike cover covered the tail lights some what so I had to install 2 more tail lights above the bikes.
A grill at 215 lbs is going to be a bear to load and unload even with a heavy duty ramp. If you thought you where going to pick it up and set in in the camper or on the back carrier I think I would go buy a cheapy one for camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69881_I.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	7582  
Attached Images

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #15
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
I heard lots of good advice- maybe the best being I may not like having to keep removing and reinstalling the hitch to access my pull out storage. That seems like an active area especially for someone like me that is just starting. I’m sure it will take me quite some time to figure out where everything should go. I really do enjoy grilled and smoked meats so I’m using this opportunity to get a smoker that I can lift into the truck bed. I’d been hearing good things about the egg style cookers and bought this Akorn Kamado. Now I’ve got to figure out how to strap it in so it doesn’t topple over like Humpty Dumpty. A Traeger Tailgater was an option as well but I had my heart set on a Kamado style. Thanks for everyone’s input! If there isn’t already a thread started on grilling and camp grill setups we should start one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	040067D8-CB9C-4396-B792-1EEC93846F78.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	7584