Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 04:55 AM   #1
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
2005 Hydraulic pump failures

I have a new 2005 3255RL, and since day 1, I have had a hydraulic leak from the slide pump. The pump is a Lippert brand. Keystone says that the pumps are on national back order, and the dealership tells me that they have several 2005's waiting on pumps. My question is this. Has anyone replaced the seals on a Lippert pump? I think it has two o-ring seals. I would guess that one or both of these seals was installed wrong on my pump. If the process is straight forward, I may try to replace the o-rings myself!

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If I were dealing with this, I might consider doing the same thing. However, I would probably call the Montana service dept. to ensure that I didn't void the warranty relating to this part.

A red flag goes up for me when the pumps are on back order. Why? Are they re-engeineering due to a discovered design flaw? In the absence of accurate information there is usually negative speculation.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:57 AM   #3
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
My replacement pump came in yesterday, and I had it replaced this morning. Simple job to replace. The tech and I took the leaking pump apart to see what was wrong. It was a incorrectly installed o-ring between the reservour and pump. The tech had seen quite a few like that. The o-rings look like standard issue, and should be easy to replace ourself if needed.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad to hear it's fixed. Do they use the same pump on all Montanas? I have the 2005 3400RL but haven't had a problem. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Thanks for the info on the pumps. We pick up our new 3400RL tomorrow and will keep an eye on the pumps. I hope we have the same good fortune as rames14.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I would guess that all Montana's have the same pump. It is a Lippert brand. The pump sits in the front compartment on a tray. If the pump leaks, the tray will be wet with fluid. You can run your fingers inside the tray, and you'll quickly know whether you have a problem or not. I was leaking about a quart of fluid each week. Makes a big mess. After they replaced the pump, I thoroughly cleaned the front compartment, and then ran my slides through four cycles. No leaks! Also, as I was cleaning, I noticed that some of my 12 volts battery connections were loose. Easy to tighten up.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazeeff

I would guess that all Montana's have the same pump. It is a Lippert brand. The pump sits in the front compartment on a tray. If the pump leaks, the tray will be wet with fluid. You can run your fingers inside the tray, and you'll quickly know whether you have a problem or not. I was leaking about a quart of fluid each week. Makes a big mess. After they replaced the pump, I thoroughly cleaned the front compartment, and then ran my slides through four cycles. No leaks! Also, as I was cleaning, I noticed that some of my 12 volts battery connections were loose. Easy to tighten up.
Hydraulic Fluid Leak:
I had a bad leak and it turned out to be the optional IRC valve. It had bad O rings and dripped fluid. Lippert Components sent me a new assembly, I replaced the old one and it cured the leak problem.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:20 AM   #8
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
Good Morning Everyone
I have been off the forum for several Months and now it is time to catch up and HELP some people.
With that said I have a name and number for a GREAT person at LIPERT.I know he will help you because he has helped us twice
in the last 4 weeks !!His name is Dale Brubaker and he is a Service Rep.for the Slideout Div.of LIPERT. You can reach him at 1-800-524-7821 also Fax at1-574-534-7161 Email daleb@lci1.com
I visted him last week in Goshen In. and there compay is directly across the street from the Montana Custer Service Rep's office.
He is sending me a New Pump Assy. because ours started leaking on the way home and he sent me a New FRONT slide Cylinder when it CAME APPART four weeks ago (another story).
You also need to start telling this man about any MAJOR Problems with your COACH. Patric Keogan 1-754-535-1466 Emailkeogp@keystonerv.com)he is the Asst.District Sales Manager. He toured the Montana Plant with my wife and I and ask what type of MAJOR problems that owners were haveing (so tell him) but do it respectfully,they are interested and DO read the Forum.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote