Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2004, 06:05 AM   #1
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Main Slideout Sticking

On my 2003 2955RL, when bringing the main slideout in, it stops every time about halfway in. Seems like an overload pops because I wait a few seconds, and I can bring it all the way in.
Has anyone else experienced this - any ideas on fixing it?
I have lubricated the rack and pinion gears with silicone spray, but no change.

jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:18 AM   #2
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
Have you checked your fluid level to see if it is low?
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Check the state of your battery: we had this problem, replaced the battery with a pair of deep-cycle 12V Marine batteries, and the problem disappeared.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
RC and Samantha have or had this problem, they can tell you what we were told at the factory about this very same situation.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:57 AM   #5
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
I see that I can't spell sticking - need to check the subject line too next time.

The fluid level is fine. I normally am plugged into shore power when bringing the slides in, so voltage should not be an issue.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I had the same problem on my Mountaineer this summer. After cleaning all the 12 volt connections it worked better but still wanted to stop. It turned out that the fuse link on the A-Frame of the travel trailer was the problem. The contacts were burned up. I purchased a new fuse link for $3.50 and the problem went away. I don't know where the fuse links are located on a 5er but I'm sure someone who has one can tell you where it is. I'll keep a spare in case this happens again.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We have the same problem with the rear slide (bedroom for the 3655FL)It always "hangs up" only during retraction. It is designed so that it always closes, in sequence, after the front hyd operated slide is closed. No problem with extension, the front hyd slide extension or retraction, or the electric-only living room slide.

We had the grounds and other connections checked at D&T's in Goshen, also had the (incorrect) 35 amp current limiter replaced with a 50 amp..all OK...worked OK for about 3 days, then same old thing again.

Batteries (2 in parallel)are good...double checked that. I'm thinking that maybe the hyd pump motor is a bit on the weak side and drawing too much current when both slides are operated in sequence. Interested in any other things to check. We will have some down time for the rig in Bakersfield in Dec, maybe get it fixed there..

Thanks,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have never had the problem that you have described, but I am thankful for your post and the answers to it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:20 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I would lube the gaskets that are on the sides and top. This helps mine from being jittery and tripping the breaker.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also ask your dealer to check the circuit breaker near the pump to make sure it's of sufficient size. Ours was too small and we had the same problem you have. Keystone told the dealer to replace with a different size (but still within all the wiring ratings, etc.) and we've not had a single reoccurrence in the two years since and our slides get a lot of cycling.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
Montana_2130
Established Member

M.O.C. #2130
Country Guy, can you or "RC and Samantha" relay about what you were told at the factory about slides not working. Think that I may be zeroing in on the problem, but would like to here what was said.
Montana_2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 01:52 PM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
just happened to me today...that was a first. when bringing the rear slide in, it was like someone shut my power off. wouldn't go in or out. it was like the switch was dead. I thought I blew a fuse, but I waited aprox. 45 seconds, then it worked fine. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

if it is a fuse, I'd like to know where incase it stick while on the road.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:40 PM   #13
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
BillyRay,
The pump motor is on a self resetting relay. I had the same problem as did others here on the forum, the amp rating on the relay was not high enough. The dealer added another one in parrallel to increase the amp rating and it has been fine since.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #14
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
thank you. I'm not sure if I should mention it to them now or wait to see if it happens again, guess I'll see if I get an extended warrenty. that may make up my mind!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:35 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Billy Ray, we had the same problem when our 3295RK was new. The dealer called Keystone who said our model had been installed with too small a breaker. The dealer replaced it per Keystone's instructions and we've not had a single reoccurrence. That was well over a year ago. Basically the same situation as Bill's, just a slightly different solution but along the same lines.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:22 PM   #16
Montana_2295

M.O.C. #2295
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimc

On my 2003 2955RL, when bringing the main slideout in, it stops every time about halfway in. Seems like an overload pops because I wait a few seconds, and I can bring it all the way in.
Has anyone else experienced this - any ideas on fixing it?
I have lubricated the rack and pinion gears with silicone spray, but no change.
Jimc have a 2003 with 3 slides.Also had the same problem with main slide sticking.The poping you are hearing is the 50 amp relay which is just above the battery on the wall.What might be causing your problem is the silicone lubricant you are using.Silicone attrachs dirt.your rack gear is on a piece of square tubing which goes inside another piece of sq tubing.The dirt might be causing the slides to bind.Extend your slides and clean the tubing and gears.Instead of using silicone go to a auto parts store and get a dry graphite lubricant.graphite does not attrach dirt.Also spray your seals on the slide with silicone.This helps keep the seals soft.
Montana_2295 is offline   Reply With Quote