Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
Montana_487
Established Member

M.O.C. #487
Need A/C help

I have done a search on A/C's but haven't found an answer to my problem. The problem is that 1/2 of the main breaker continues to blow when I run the A/C. This does not happen every time and I have not been able to connect the fuse blowing to any one thing ---like hi outside temp or having the unit freeze up. The breaker that I'm talking about is not in the main fuse box--- it is located in a box all by itself right on the side of the cabinet under the sink(2004 2980RL). The breaker is made up of two breakers tied together-- one is 30 amps the other is 20 amps. The one that keeps blowing is the 20 amp. When the breaker blows we still can run the TV,lights and microwave. I would appreciate any help you all could give me.

Montana_487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:40 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I don't know if You have a meter that can test amps or get a dealer to check this but it sounds to me like the a/c is drawing too much juice. If it is tripping a 20 amp breaker and it is the only thing on that side that is being used than there is a problem.

I would start there, if You don't have the meter then take it back to a dealer since You are still under warranty.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
B & L it sounds like you have to much on one breaker, but you say in your post "two breakers tied together". If these are your primary breakers and they are linked together, if one blows they should both turn off. Yet you say "we can still run TV lights etc". Please clarify.

First thing you can do, if you can turn the 20Amp off by itself is determine what it feeds. Check everything. Make a list of the loads. You may find that side of the panel is overloaded... say AC and Hot Water on that breaker. The fix could be as simple as turning on the gas to the hot water tank when you run the Air.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Montana_487
Established Member

M.O.C. #487
Thanks for the help---- I will try to isolate all that is being fed by the 20amp breaker and let you know if I find the problem. Oh-- I was running the water heater on gas when we had the problem and yes the two breakers that are tied together are the 50 amp main breakers for the 5er. There is just enough slack in the tie between the two breakers that the one can trip without causing the other one to trip.
If I can't find the problem I'll take it back to the dealer---that process has its own set of problems---the last time I took it in we lost the little battery lite and a set of knifes that my wife had purchased to take with us camping--of course the shop knew nothing about it and refused to replace anything. Live and learn-- this time we will empty the unit before we take it in.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:41 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Man... I know where your coming from... Any RV tech I've met seems to be in a 12 step program... There just don't seem to be any professionals out there... at least not at the Montana dealers I have used.

Hopefully you can find an additional load on that 20 amp breaker... might even be somthing silly like the converter (can be a big power sucker).
Old 07-21-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Do you have dual AC units? We do on our 3280RL and the 20 amp breaker runs the second (BR) unit and the washer/dryer which we don't have installed. The 30 amp breaker runs everything else. Of course Keystone does not supply a wiring diagram so it's hard to tell what runs what without meter. Hope you find the problem.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:10 PM   #7
Montana_487
Established Member

M.O.C. #487
palebluedot---as far as I can tell the 20amp incoming breaker only feeds the A/C ---I don't have the 2nd A/C in the bedroom. I checked the breakers today and they are all ok. I also found that the 30amp breaker feeds the converter panel which has everything else on it. Linda and I are going North with the 5ther for 3 weeks and this time I'm going to take the 50amp hook up cord and use it instead of using my 30amp hook up line and see if that changes things??
TEAM:
The one thing I forgot to tell everyone is that I have been using the 30amp hook up in all of the camp grounds ---- because I hate draging that big cord around. If 50amp cord dosen't fix it than I'm going to take it in and let the tech's see if they can fix it. ---Let me know if you have anymore ideas.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
About the only thing left is to swap out the 20 amp breaker. Sometimes they weaken and begin to trip early. We run the Air on 30 and 20 amp circuits all the time (15,000 BTU) and don't have a problem, so I doubt the 50 amp cord will help. One last thing... check the voltage. If the voltage drops below 115 or so, that can cause a higher then normal current draw and trip the breaker. That would be a campground problem... no way to fix that.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:26 AM   #9
Montana_487
Established Member

M.O.C. #487
Gruffy and Team --I ran the A/C all day yesterday while I was connected to the House (115VAC@20amps) and used a normal extension cord. No issue with the unit. I have also been running it today with no issue---I'm begining to think it might have been a campground issue. I might have just been lucky and got two campgrounds with the same problem---low voltage. I'll keep you all posted. Oh --by the way it was 99 deg. F yesterday and it is 102deg. F out side right now.---This is really hot for Washington State. Thank God for tall Fir Trees and cool water.