Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Tripod

Will using a tripod under the pin make any difference with movement in the bedroom? We use locking wheel clamps between our tires, but no other stabilizers like JT, etc. We have been set up for 3 weeks and I notice some serious movement and squeaky sounds coming from the front when I am turning over in bed. OK OK...I am a little chubby, but it makes me feel huge!!

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes it will help some but I gave mine away when we put the JT stabilizers on. So my recommendation is spend the extra money and get the JTs or similar stabilizer.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Had one used it once and sold it. Then we bought JT's. Klash bought a system that goes in front of the wheels under the frame. If you PM him I am sure he will let you know about them. They were quite reasonable.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
JT stabilizers are good. Also, putting some good solid blocking under rear stabilizers and front landing gear will help.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I looked into the jacks that Klash bought and had good results. They where around $70.00. They are like the old time bumper jacks with plastic disc on top of the jack. You jack them right before your tires. There is a thread on here about them. I was going to order them on line but we are going to the rally in KY and they will be there so we waited. I also hate the movement in the trailer. It drives me nuts and the hubby feels it is RV camping.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I used a tripod for a year. It did help with the movement some. But when the dryer was spinning, the whole trailer would vibrate and rattle.
Installed the JTs and it was much better. Still vibrates some, but not nearly what it did before. And very little movement from walking. Have not used the tripod since.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have a tripod that was given to us by a friend that bought a motor home. I set it up one time and was not impressed with it so it sits in the shed now. To me it is not worth the effort to drag it around and set it up.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We have a tri-pod and don’t use it anymore. It did help a little but I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of hauling it around and setting it up all of the time. We also have the locking wheel chalks between the wheels. I think that is one of the best tools for removing movement inside the camper there is. With the standard stabilizers in the back and the wheel chalks I don’t think we need anything else. We level the camper when we first back in from side to side then we put the wheel chalks in place and then we level from front to back once we are disconnected. If we’re level and the stabilizers are down we hardly notice any movement at all. I noticed more movement whenever I have blocked the stabilizers with several layers of blocking underneath them and not have them blocked close to the ground. I believe from my own observation that with minimal blocking below the landing gears and the stabilizers there is less movement in general.

We also have a washer/dryer combo and it will shake the camper some. Once we bolted the unit to the floor with the suggested brackets it minimized the shaking. It doesn’t bother us enough to think about it being a problem.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have used the old fashioned two legged support under the kingpin for years and find it useful.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We have a 3 legged one been using it for years as well...recognize there is some motion associated with our mobile palace.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gave ours away when we still had the Monty. The between-the-wheel chocks did just as good a job. Also, as stated, put some blocks under the rear stabilizers. For some reason the spreading of the arms give a more steady platform by having the scissors spread out than having the scissors close together when extended.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We used the tripod the first year, after getting the JT's, we gave the tripod away. You will ALWAYS have some movement, after all you are sitting on air (the tires). As richfaa says, it lets you know you are camping. I did not feel the tripod did much good. This is just my opinion as others have theirs also. There are some other brands of stabilizers available, thru CW I believe. I think John Kohl has installed some jacks in front of his tires and he says they help also. This winter we will be blocking with cinder blocks and shims as we sit in one spot for six months, or the scissor jacks at different locations.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have a tripod because when I bought it, it was dirt cheap on sale and I wasn't a member of a 5er forum to learn there are better (and more costly) solutions. It can be annoying to set up but I'm pretty good at it. There is a definite improvement with our rig when it's used. It does not stop all movement, but it does improve it and for us, it is noticeable. We don't have a W/D.

It will go away when I get the much better JTs or SteadyFast systems, but for now, it's what I use.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
3 directions of movement. Front to back-I use sissor type wheel chocks. Up and down-I use 4 cheapie jack stands from WM, in front of and behind the wheels. Side to side-I made rods similar to JT's out of 3/4" and 1/2" conduit. 1/2" slides into 3/4", I welded a nut on the 3/4" to accept a bolt to tighten the 1/2" inside the 3/4" and they are mounted between the sissor jacks front & rear.

The jack stands need to be tightened once in a while but for the most part, the trailer is pretty solid.

Square dancing is a no-no!

BTW, I have a TT, not a 5th Wheel!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #15
rcreamo123

M.O.C. #8112
I'm new to this forum as I got my 3500RL last year and just joined the MOC. So far I've learned allot about my trailer and looking forward to full time traveling next year after I retire.

This discussion just saved me the trouble of getting a Tri-pod for the hitchpin.

Thans,

Bob
rcreamo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #16
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I like the tripod. Easy and quick to setup and to me it removes a good deal of motion. Until you take the weight off the tires you will never get rid of the movement. I have never been in a trailer with JT's so I cannot comment on the difference. It's just to me the 70 dollar tripod is good enough. Look around for a cheap one and give it a try or wait until you see a trailer with a tri-pod and ask for a walk thru :. You may save yourself a few bucks if you decide its something you can live with.

The only disadvantages to the tri-pod I have come up with is it takes up space when in use. You cannot back in under the trailer to get room in a small site. Also if you are on a site with a steep slope sometimes you just cannot get the tripod under it or the pin is too high to do any good. Been there done that.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
rcreamo123

M.O.C. #8112
Thank you for the advise, I will see what happens.
rcreamo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the JT's also, they actually work.. We do have a tripod and we use it to keep me away from the hitch and to help hold up our nose apron when we have it up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:49 AM   #19
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Joanie, there was some input back concerning where the Monty is parked, i.e., sand, gravel or pavement that also can contribute to movement whether a tripod, stabilizers or whatever are used. Chubby is not one of them! If it were we'd all have the same issue. Right?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

Will using a tripod under the pin make any difference with movement in the bedroom? We use locking wheel clamps between our tires, but no other stabilizers like JT, etc. We have been set up for 3 weeks and I notice some serious movement and squeaky sounds coming from the front when I am turning over in bed. OK OK...I am a little chubby, but it makes me feel huge!!
klash is offline   Reply With Quote