Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
History - Apollo 11 Moon Landing

Many pictures have been shown regarding the Apollo 11 Moon Landing in July of 1969. Here is a good compilation of some historical pictures.
Enjoy.

Apollo 11 Moon Landing

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Nice! Thanks Wayne,I really enjoyed that,it bought back memories.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That was fun to watch! I was only 13 when I first witnessed this. It sure looks a lot better to me now that I understand so much more.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Thanks for the link!
I really enjoyed the pictures but I have a question. How come you can’t see any stars? I don’t even see any in the photo where they are between the earth & the moon. Got any ideas?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I helped build and install the wiring harnesses for some of the Lunar Modules. One of them that I helped build is in the Smithsonian. Seeing how fragile they were up close in the assembly building and how sturdy they were in space is awe inspiring. Thanks for the memories.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bill-N-Donna,
I am no expert in the field of photography, or astronomy, but here is my take on why there are no stars in the pictures.

Consider the year. Now try to find what the best hand held camera was. Consider what the range of illumination is for that camera. When the moon is full, go out with your hand held camera and take a picture of the moon. You will most likely not see any stars. The illuminations of the moon will preclude the dimly lit stars from appearing. Do you see the starts in the daytime? They are still there, just not visible because the light keeps them from being seen.

The Sun is a star and it is 93,000,000 miles from Earth. The next closest star is 4.2 light years from Earth. One light year being about 5,878,630,000,000 miles. I am amazed we can even see them on a clear night. Can you imagine how huge they are!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I saw the broadcast of the moment of landing while standing behind my grandfather, who was sitting on the couch watching the TV. He was born before photography and rode a horse to war. I was aware at that moment of the vast leap of technology that the lunar landing required. But my grandfather was the lucky one. He knew what he was seeing and was amazed. He died not much later. Thanks for the post.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Bill-N-Donna,
I am no expert in the field of photography, or astronomy, but here is my take on why there are no stars in the pictures.

Consider the year. Now try to find what the best hand held camera was. Consider what the range of illumination is for that camera. When the moon is full, go out with your hand held camera and take a picture of the moon. You will most likely not see any stars. The illuminations of the moon will preclude the dimly lit stars from appearing. Do you see the starts in the daytime? They are still there, just not visible because the light keeps them from being seen.

The Sun is a star and it is 93,000,000 miles from Earth. The next closest star is 4.2 light years from Earth. One light year being about 5,878,630,000,000 miles. I am amazed we can even see them on a clear night. Can you imagine how huge they are!
Yeah I would have to agree with you. I never did doubt the landing on the moon. I watched it live when I was 13 years old. I figured that it was due to the radiant light from the moon or even the earth which might out power the lights from the stars.

However, when they were in between the moon and the earth I would have thought that you would be able to see some stars at some point. I doubt they had cheap cameras on the mission but rather the best that money could buy at that time.

On another note, it’s hard to imagine that the space craft module was controlled from less technology than what some lap tops have today.