Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If I understand correctly one of the reasons the diesels last longer is they have to be built very strong to withstand the very high compression. That is why they weigh so much and why they tend to last long. In many cases I suspect a properly maintained diesel will last longer than the truck surrounding it.

Bill, I've towed many miles with Ford diesels and think you will find it does a very good job for you.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #22
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Now for the bad news. When I bought the truck the previous owner must have started it up before I got there. Now when I start it up after it sits overnight it smokes blue bad enough to cover the truck. After it heats up it does not do it anymore.
I called Scheid diesel here in Lafayette IN and talked to a pleasant sounding women and I told her I had a technical question about my truck. She wanted to know what it was so I explained the situation and she knew exactly all the possible causes of the smoke and almost guaranteed me it needs new injectors. Boy am I glad that it does not need engine work! Plus I am glad I did not ask for a man to talk to about the problem!
So now I have to invest $642 plus tax installed for a +40HP rebuilt set. That includes adjusting the valves also. They claim not only to give 40 more horse power but also a 2mpg increase in fuel mileage.
Cheep compared to some of the costs associated with the new diesels.
They are going to have to wait till spring because I already spent too much money the way it is.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #23
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
After talking with a guy at work that has a truck like mine, he pointed out that our engines have the fuel injectors on the outside of the valve cover. This means I could change them myself without messing with the valves. I found a company called Pensacola diesel that sells a complete set made in Germany for $199 with free shipping.
Anybody ever deal with them?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mopar1, I know nothing about those folks nor changing the injectors. But I am wondering how this turned out for you?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 AM   #25
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Thanks for wondering sreigle! I haven't done a good job of keeping this post up to date.
After much reading I have found the white smoke problem at start up could be many things. The most likely is air getting into the fuel system. This air can be sucked into the system anywhere between the fuel tank and the lift pump including the pump itself.
The easiest way to find the problem is to pressurize the system with really low pressure air. that way everything that is normally in a vacuum is pressurized.
But that is not normally easy. For me the previous owner had a fuel tank mounted in the bed with a hose that is now blocked off. I took a valve stem for a rim and worm clamped it into the pipe. Then I used a battery powered air pump to slowly air up the system. right away I found a little special made rubber hose that goes between the lift pump and the fuel heater leaking.
The hose has a 90* bend in it which made using just a piece of fuel line impossible so I had to buy one from the Dodge dealership but it was only $6.95 which was a surprise! I did not think they sold anything under $20. there.
But this is where the story ends for now. I have not had the time to put the hose on due to that pesky thing called work so both trucks are put away snugly in the barn and the Montana is parked next to the barn pointing into the prevailing winds to help prevent it from being blown over. (I know that it is going to take a really strong wind, more than the 30MPH blasts we normally get during the winter but it makes the DW happier. She always is afraid it is going to blow over every time the wind blows hard)
Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As long as she doesn't feel the tires on one side rising off the ground and then banging back down, she need not worry.

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it turns out.