Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Thetford Toilet Problem

I have lost most of the water pressure in out toilet. The other faucets are much higher. Has anyone had this problem and is it a toilet valve problem? It doesnt appear that the valve can be removed without taking the toilet out. Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
We had a problem with ours a couple of months ago. It started out as an occasional loss of pressure when flushing and then it quit altogether. I removed the toilet and took out the valve to see if it was plugged but couldn't find anything. I decided as long as I had it out I might as well replace it. It's not a difficult job. The valve is a standard replacement part you can get anywhere they sell Thetford toilets. It comes in a kit that includes a new seal.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:03 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If it's in warranty, call Thetford and they'll ship you a new valve and seal. Our new Thetford has a very noisy valve. I emailed per another thread and they shipped me a new valve and seal. Had it in a few days. Now I have to install it. Today or tomorrow.

As Dogman said, removing the toilet is simple.

Shut off the water and release the pressure (flush the toilet).
Unscrew the water connection.
Remove the two nuts along the bottom of the toilet.
Lift it off.
You might want to lay cardboard or something over the opening to the tank while you're working on the toilet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Last fall, we were camping for a week in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. The first day out, our toilet flow went to just a slow dribble. For the next week, we had to "flush" with a bucket of water, since I wasn't sure what I was in for if I tried to repair it there.

Removed the toilet and took it apart when we got home, and found that the valve was plugged with what appeared to be piece of calcium or something similar. It was easy to clean it. That is a very small hole and takes very little to plug it. Since we were using the on board pump, I can only conclude that some debris got into the fresh water tank through filling without a filter.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good info to know, Russ and Sandy. Duly saved for future reference. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Thanks Russ and Sandy, it was plugged with what looked like a piece of lime, very small, removed it with a paper clip and blew it out. Reassembled and it works fine.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great recovery!! Congratulations. Good info to have, so thank you for sharing the problem and the solution.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Bill, Glad to hear of your success! This is a great place to share ideas and solutions.
Russ
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #9
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
While you have the toilet out, be sure to lubricate all the linkages you see in back with silicone spray. That cured a problem I had with mine.

Norm
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote